News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 20, 2021, 08:36:44 AM
Found a great word on LB which uses almost all the letters, but alas, only yields a 3fer.

I would post this under "very exciting posts" but nobody on that thread would understand.

Maybe you can still make the word work! I tried a couple contenders and finally managed a 2fer (but not with one word that used up nearly all the letters).

Up to 240 now, still not at Alpha.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 20, 2021, 08:36:44 AM
Found a great word on LB which uses almost all the letters, but alas, only yields a 3fer.

I would post this under "very exciting posts" but nobody on that thread would understand.

I hear you. Try posting anyway, and see what responses you get.

Maybe you can still make the word work! I tried a couple contenders and finally managed a 2fer (but not with one word that used up nearly all the letters).

Up to 240 now, still not at Alpha.

Congrats! I made it to 259 (a few compounds), but that's going to be it for SB and LB as I still have the SE corner of the crossword to complete.

ETA: That number was for another date, and on the laptop. Today's number is 248.

ciao_yall

Genius, still no panagram.

Lots of 3fers and b4ss 2fers so should get there soon.

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I think you're just a point from Alpha! I finally got to 262, so 8 more points to QB.  I will keep trying off and on.  As for the crossword, the NW was my last get. 

Ciao_yall, it took me a while to get the pangram.  I just happened to pick up my phone and saw it at some point.  Not too long ago, the pangram was my actual primary field of research, and I did not get that one until after genius! And good luck with the LB.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on February 20, 2021, 08:01:44 AM

Congrats, Parasarurolophus! Did you get to QB? It was a slog, for sure. 

Lord, no! Way beyond my puzzle grade!

Today, I'm 4 short of genius but haven't found the pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Well, yesterday's was definitely a long haul, so congrats! And good luck with today's!

I have managed to get to one freaking point from QB.  Have now tried every single four-letter word I could think of, plus plenty of random ones pretty systematically entered, and still no luck.  I even have some obscure words that tend to emerge only in the bee.  Husband, on the other hand, is having a rough time of it today.  But, inspiration can still kick in! Maybe it's one of those things where I have to pretend not to pay attention and then quickly turn to surprise the bee and hope that the word has foolishly come out of hiding.  I might try that, though I'm not sure I want to gamble on pulling a neck muscle given that I am too old for these shenanigans.

But, I still have not come near finishing today's hard sudoku, and tomorrow's are out now!

cathwen

Congratulations on everyone's successes.  I am having a miserable time today!  SB is barely at genius, and I don't have a 2-fer for LB—although lots of good words, including one that leaves only two letters to be dealt with, but I can't find a place for them!  Groan.  Well, you win a few, you lose a few.  At least I solved the sudokus without much trouble.

Ab_grp, I hope you get your QB! 

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen.  We'll see.  There aren't that many possible combos of 4 letters that are allowed, so it seems as though given the time I could eventually find it.  Good luck! Maybe you and ciao_yall have the same really long contender.  I feel as though a 2fer is around the corner for you.  And congrats on the sudokus!

I was actually just musing on this idea that there are some days I'm good at some of the puzzles, and some days others of the puzzles, but I can't recall having a day on which I got QB (or met some bee goal that felt satisfying), 2fer, and solved all the sudokus.  Today I had good luck with the bee and LB, but sudoku stumped me.  Earlier in the week, I was conquering the sudokus each day but not necessarily getting as far as I wanted to in the bee or getting 2fers. 

ciao_yall

SB - genius, then found pangram and putting a bow on it. Looks like the Comments board has already shifted to the Sunday puzzle so I'd have to do some digging to find the hivemind for Saturday.

LB - got a 2fer. Not with my long contender that is probably the same as cathwen's (B and T)? Probably not official as it does reuse a few letters but still declaring victory.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus, on finding that elusive pangram!

Today has started out better than yesterday in that I'm at genius on SB. Not sure how much further I'll get, so we'll see.

I haven't found a 2-fer for today's LB yet.  Yesterday was frustrating--I had BIOMETRICIAN, with H and W left over.  I also had WATCHMEN, but did not see RAINBOW!  Argh!

Ab_grp, I know what you mean about good and bad puzzle days.  Some days it just comes, other days not.  And I'm usually better at LB than SB.  On SB, I usually get to genius, but have trouble getting too far beyond that. You and Langue_doc seem to get QB on a regular basis!

Well, back to LB!

ciao_yall

SB - woke up in the middle of the night and achieved genius already.

LB - Got the official solution of RAINBOW-WATCHMEN. I also had CHAIRWOMEN which left the B and the T. In the past it has taken TABAC which would have completed the 2fer, alas, b4ss.

Already have some 3fers using odd little words to use up tricky letters so home to see the 2fer today.

Langue_doc

Morning all, and congrats on the achievements/accomplishments.

SB--missed a few words yesterday: odea?? odeon? I usually miss donee, so this didn't surprise me. Made it to slightly above genius today; the pangram wasn't too difficult.

Found a few contenders for LB, with just one dangling letter. This gives me hope, so will work on it. Crosswords are done. I like today's tiles, so will be spending some time playing with it.

ab_grp

Yay, Parasaurolophus! And yay on getting to genius during the night, ciao_yall.  If I tried to do that, I'd be up all night thinking about it.  I already dream of puzzles, just random not-real ones. 

And congrats on the 2fers yesterday! I got RAINBOW-WATCHMEN.  I have noticed that some words keep popping out to me in multiple puzzles (e.g., browbeaten).  Maybe it's kind of a Rorschach test of sorts.  Get it, Watchmen? Lololol I am already on fire today with the wit.  Watch out, world.

Finally got QB just before we started dinner last night.  Odea was the odious straggler.  I got odeon earlier because it appears sometimes in the bee and crossword and always manages to elude me, so maybe odea should have occurred to me earlier, but no go.  I think the compound words were some of the last I got, so thanks to Langue_doc for mentioning that there were several.  I'm at Alpha so far today (131) but need a break from it.  Looks like only one pangram.

Good luck on all the puzzles, and happy Sunday!

Langue_doc

Found a two-fer after a gap of some days (or so it seems). I'm probably near Alpha, and that's it for today's puzzles.