News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I think I got a different 2fer! Now I want to know what yours is so will try to work it out!

Langue_doc

ab_grp

Thanks for the PM! I forgot to say I was working off a different bird but hadn't gotten a first word mate from it yet so was maybe headed in a wrong direction. Also my hints for my solution were terrible and sent from my phone.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, your words wouldn't have occurred to me.

For the record, mine were cognates and skylark, which are quite different from the words in the "solution".

As for SB, my first word was the pangram--woohoo! I'm now at 123 points.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

LB - I had LOCKS-STRANGELY yesterday. Already have a 2fer this morning.

SB - slow start. No pangram yet... wow you are a fast crowd! ETA: Panagram. Still at amazing. But I'll get there.

Looks like we all wiped the floor with the puzzles yesterday. Bring it on, NYT!

ab_grp

I like COGNATES-SKYLARK the best so far, Langue_doc! Your hint about the bird led me to GRACKLE, but I didn't get further with that.  Mine was close to ciao_yall's, KNOCKS-STRANGELY.  The schmofficial solution did not occur to me at all.  I thought ROCKETRY might do something, but it didn't pan out.

Today's bee seems kind of tough so far.  I got the pangram and to a bit above genius (137), but not to Alpha yet and am now struggling.

Time to go take a look at today's LB and sudokus.  Congrats on the early 2fer, ciao_yall! Good luck, all!

Langue_doc

Still stuck on the bee at 137. But got two two-fers, all common words. There are probably other pairs today.

I did get grackle yesterday, but couldn't find a mate. There's a bird in today's puzzle too.

cathwen

My LB words yesterday were GRACKLES-STONY.  My, what a variety of solutions this time!

I found today's LB harder, but finally found a 2-fer.  Langue_doc, congratulations on not one, but two 2-fers!

I'm just a few points beyond genius today on SB.  I don't think I have the energy to pursue higher goals, though.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fers, Langue_doc and cathwen! Langue_doc, your hint led me to a 2fer, so thanks.  I will see if I can find some more.

I haven't gotten any further with the bee, but husband had to go on site today and is back now, so we will get back to it independently and then see if comparing lists would be the best bet.  I know we have some different words, which always makes me want to try to figure out what he has that I don't, but I have made no progress! Maybe this time will be the charm.  It is kind of a draining puzzle today for whatever reason.

ab_grp

Unexciting update: I am now trying for an impure Alpha.  We ended up comparing #s of words starting with each letter to see what we were each missing, and we now have the same number of points and words.  Still two points from Alpha! Gee whiz.  I think we will have to compare lists and then might have to look up the answers at some point.

I do have a couple additional LB contenders I'm working with to try for another 2fer since I am frustrated with the bee.  Not sure if any mates will come along, though.

Langue_doc

Morning!

SB was disappointing; partita? irrupt? I should have found pipit and rattrap, but didn't. Oh, well.

Made it to genius today, but no pangram.

I came up with blackboard/diagrams, blackbird/dogmas, and eventually blackbirds/smog.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Good morning!  I also had blackboard-diagram yesterday.  I thought today's LB was more challenging than usual, but I finally found a 2-fer.

On yesterday's SB, I missed irrupt and partita, as well as pipit, rattrap apparat, and papyri. 

I just got to Alpha on today's SB, but not at all confident I'll make QB. 

ciao_yall

SB - rattrap was what put me into genius, then I went off onto other things. After a while the odd words start to feel like a guessing game.

LB - I had blackbirds-smog which was the official solution. Is this what it's like to be vibing with the NYT?

Haven't started today's yet, but happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Good news first: I just got to QB.  It was a strange path.  I was really struggling even to get to genius, got there but no pangram, then stuff started coming and whammo.  Good luck! Nothing too tough or unfamiliar in there, I think. 

We ended up comparing yesterday, still no luck, and found out we had missed partita, pipit, and irrupt.  Not too sorry about that.  I concede defeat to that puzzle.

Thanks to Langue_doc, I got the BLACKBIRD-DOGMAS pair.  I found SMORGASBORD and thought that might lead somewhere but couldn't find a mate.

Congrats on all the 2fers yesterday and to cathwen for already getting one today!

cathwen

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp! 

I also made QB today!  Woo-hoo!