Author Topic: The Venting Thread  (Read 30797 times)

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
Re: The Venting Thread
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »
Prepping a class, decided to just use the same book the previous prof used.

18 week semester.

10 chapters in the book.

WHO DOES THAT?????

Depends on the subject matter and how meaty the chapters are.

downer

• This heaven gives me migraine.
  • CHE Posts: 7500
« Reply #436 on: July 07, 2020, 04:06:03 AM »
18 week semester? I have never heard of that. What fresh hell?
"Change takes courage." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Cheerful

« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2020, 06:16:10 AM »
18 week semester? I have never heard of that. What fresh hell?

+1  Thanks for much-needed morning laughter, downer!

So--chapters don't equal weeks all the time....do they?

+1

sprout

• CHE Posts: 546
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2020, 10:07:45 AM »
Quarter system here.  It's got to be better than trying to cover 18 chapters in 10 weeks!

OneMoreYear

« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2020, 03:05:58 PM »
I had to go into the office today to deal with some data.  When I got home the front door was unlocked. I am positive that I locked the door and deadbolt.  Nothing appears to be missing, although I haven't checked every drawer/cabinet, but I am a little freaked out.

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
« Reply #440 on: July 08, 2020, 06:02:29 PM »
I had to go into the office today to deal with some data.  When I got home the front door was unlocked. I am positive that I locked the door and deadbolt.  Nothing appears to be missing, although I haven't checked every drawer/cabinet, but I am a little freaked out.

:( Understandable. I'd be freaked out too. Hope you're feeling better.

fishbrains

« Reply #441 on: July 10, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
Working with student essays that employ APA format is a living hell right now. Our Library's databases are still in the 6th edition with its citation generator, online citation generators have always produced random Ref. page entries, the Purdue OWL is now in the 7th edition, and students are using textbooks with either one depending on when they bought the book. I mean, f*ckity f*ckity $hit $hit!!!!!!!! There has to be a better way to roll out a new edition!!!!!!! [insert frowny-faced poop emoji here]

Okay, I feel better now.
But life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last.  ~  Prince

ab_grp

• CHE Posts: 7,653
« Reply #442 on: July 10, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
Working with student essays that employ APA format is a living hell right now. Our Library's databases are still in the 6th edition with its citation generator, online citation generators have always produced random Ref. page entries, the Purdue OWL is now in the 7th edition, and students are using textbooks with either one depending on when they bought the book. I mean, f*ckity f*ckity $hit $hit!!!!!!!! There has to be a better way to roll out a new edition!!!!!!! [insert frowny-faced poop emoji here]

Okay, I feel better now.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the neck.  I think last time I looked OWL still had a link to 6th ed. pages, but if the edition is not specified, I guess students will look where they look.  I submitted to a journal using 6th ed. only to find that they had changed to 7th but had not changed the website to say so.  And also they said no page limits, but a word limit was specified on like page 5 of the submission system.  That kind of sucked.  Some of the changes for the 7th ed. make sense while in too many cases it seems like they just go back and forth or come up with weird new rules that are nonintuitive.

fishbrains

« Reply #443 on: July 10, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »

Okay, I feel better now.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the neck.  I think last time I looked OWL still had a link to 6th ed. pages, but if the edition is not specified, I guess students will look where they look.  I submitted to a journal using 6th ed. only to find that they had changed to 7th but had not changed the website to say so.  And also they said no page limits, but a word limit was specified on like page 5 of the submission system.  That kind of sucked.  Some of the changes for the 7th ed. make sense while in too many cases it seems like they just go back and forth or come up with weird new rules that are nonintuitive.

I'm just trying to introduce Comp. I students to the thrills and wonders of APA formatting, so things get a little hairy when they see different versions on what should be authoritative sites.

But life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last.  ~  Prince

ab_grp

• CHE Posts: 7,653
« Reply #444 on: July 10, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »

Okay, I feel better now.

I'm just trying to introduce Comp. I students to the thrills and wonders of APA formatting, so things get a little hairy when they see different versions on what should be authoritative sites.

Well, I have enough trouble navigating it myself, so good luck!

Parasaurolophus

• near crested lizard
  • Senior Moderator
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 1640
« Reply #445 on: July 10, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »
I have a hard enough time getting students to give me page numbers for their citations. Actually insisting on a properly formatted list of works cited is far, far beyond the limits of my patience.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

« Reply #446 on: July 10, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »
Some of the changes for the 7th ed. make sense while in too many cases it seems like they just go back and forth or come up with weird new rules that are nonintuitive.

It's called "adding value" for the new edition.

sonoamused

« Reply #447 on: July 10, 2020, 01:37:11 PM »

Okay, I feel better now.

An October rollout is a nightmare for stuff like this - as soon as I saw it was going to happen (the summer of the rollout) I notified all the faculty I work with to update their assignments so students knew what Edition to use.

(not a WSU member by the way)  but students who use 6th edition I point them to this: https://libguides.libraries.wsu.edu/QuickCiteAPA  its less overwhelming then the OWL site, especially for undergrads.