Author Topic: Preparing for Coronavirus?  (Read 46526 times)

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
Re: Preparing for Coronavirus?
« Reply #795 on: October 16, 2020, 10:07:24 AM »
I bought 150 pounds of rice today.

Nice. How do you store it? I know you mentioned that you consume it daily. I also forgot to calculate how long it would last.

spork

• CHE Posts: 18449
« Reply #796 on: October 16, 2020, 10:26:19 AM »

Nice. How do you store it? I know you mentioned that you consume it daily. I also forgot to calculate how long it would last.

This will last me well into the new year, maybe through February. The wifey has a flight out of the country booked for early December. If she's allowed to board the flight, it will just be me at home for the rest of the winter.

I just leave it in the bags. The air will be cool and dry and the house is relatively free of bugs.

evil_physics_witchcraft

« Reply #797 on: October 16, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »

This will last me well into the new year, maybe through February. The wifey has a flight out of the country booked for early December. If she's allowed to board the flight, it will just be me at home for the rest of the winter.

I just leave it in the bags. The air will be cool and dry and the house is relatively free of bugs.

Out of curiousity, what sort of dishes/meals do you make with it?

spork

« Reply #798 on: October 17, 2020, 02:26:04 AM »

It's my main carbohydrate. I'll eat a mound of it with the omelette I'm making for breakfast. Tonight's dinner it will be served with a tofu, broccoli, green onion, ginger, and chili stir fry.

I also bought another cubic yard of toilet paper rolls. I'll be buying more canisters of oatmeal next.

evil_physics_witchcraft

« Reply #799 on: October 17, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »

It's my main carbohydrate. I'll eat a mound of it with the omelette I'm making for breakfast. Tonight's dinner it will be served with a tofu, broccoli, green onion, ginger, and chili stir fry.

I also bought another cubic yard of toilet paper rolls. I'll be buying more canisters of oatmeal next.

Ok. A yard is 3 ft, so a cubic yard is 27 ft3. That's a good deal of TP. Not judging, just wondering how long that will last. I suppose it depends on the number of rolls (you could calculate this and make it a packing problem), number of people using, frequency of use, number of sheets used per wipe, etc.

What a great Fermi problem!

I wonder what the mass of that TP is. Almost like a 'how-many-jellybeans-in-the-jar' contest.

spork

« Reply #800 on: October 17, 2020, 12:03:05 PM »
Calculation error on my part, for which I still blame the stupid practice in elementary school of "let's convert everything between English and metric systems." It's actually about 0.45 cubic yard. 128 rolls.

evil_physics_witchcraft

« Reply #801 on: October 17, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
Calculation error on my part, for which I still blame the stupid practice in elementary school of "let's convert everything between English and metric systems." It's actually about 0.45 cubic yard. 128 rolls.

Ah. Ok. Still a large quantity, but it's not as if TP goes 'bad.'

spork

« Reply #802 on: October 17, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »

Ah. Ok. Still a large quantity, but it's not as if TP goes 'bad.'

I have a mostly empty basement, so plenty of room to store things. One of the benefits of Mari Kondo-ing the house during the pandemic.

clean

• CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #803 on: October 17, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
IF one buys 150 pounds of rice, then one will NEED 128 rolls of TP for the resulting 'paperwork'. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

« Reply #804 on: October 17, 2020, 02:19:53 PM »
IF one buys 150 pounds of rice, then one will NEED 128 rolls of TP for the resulting 'paperwork'.

Funny. I need to see your calculations.

clean

• CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #805 on: October 17, 2020, 05:04:26 PM »
128 rolls.

Im sure that you didnt stock up on "John Wayne TP"
It's Rough and Tough and wont take shit off of anybody!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sprout

• CHE Posts: 546
« Reply #806 on: October 18, 2020, 03:22:11 PM »
128 rolls.

Im sure that you didnt stock up on "John Wayne TP"
It's Rough and Tough and wont take shit off of anybody!!

That does not sound very useful...

apl68

« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2020, 07:55:38 AM »
The staff member who has been keeping an eye out for disinfectant spray locally has finally succeeded!  We now have some that we can use until our wholesaler is finally able to honor its promised shipment to us.

spork

« Reply #808 on: October 26, 2020, 04:32:29 AM »
On this week's shopping list: enough canola and olive oil to get me through the winter.

3M N95 masks still unavailable.

spork

« Reply #809 on: October 28, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
Now have my supply of vegetable oil, along with ten cans of pumpkin and plenty of oatmeal. I have a special order of a crate of canned cat food waiting for pick up at Tractor Supply Co. Got to have food for the cats too.