Author Topic: Trendy Words I Do Not Like  (Read 4988 times)

marshwiggle

• Finally, a
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Old Narnian
  • CHE Posts: 3299
Re: Trendy Words I Do Not Like
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2021, 06:04:14 AM »
To "call out".

How about "to criticize"?

Another defining down of meaning?

It's a propoganda thing. If you "criticize" someone, it implies the possibility that your criticism is invalid, but if you "call them out", then it implies their behaviour is objectively and universally recognized as wrong.

Why would I wants to actually consider that someone doing something I don't like might have legitimate reasons? It's much easier to stay ensconced in my sanctimonious bubble.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:37:11 AM by marshwiggle »
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2021, 06:15:55 AM »
To "call out".

"Call out" is concerning to me because it's such a violent metaphor.  You're not simply disagreeing with somebody or pointing out a mistake, you're challenging them to a fight.  Its popularity speaks volumes about how extreme the tone of debate in our society has become.
Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on Earth, where they can decay or be stolen.  Lay up treasures for yourselves in Heaven, where there is no decay or theft.  Where your treasure is, you heart will be also.

You can't take it with you.  You can only send it on ahead.

marshwiggle

• Finally, a
  • Old Narnian
  • CHE Posts: 3299
« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2021, 06:42:57 AM »
To "call out".

"Call out" is concerning to me because it's such a violent metaphor.  You're not simply disagreeing with somebody or pointing out a mistake, you're challenging them to a fight.  Its popularity speaks volumes about how extreme the tone of debate in our society has become.

It's the modern equivalent of trial by combat:
Trial by combat (also wager of battle, trial by battle or judicial duel) was a method of Germanic law to settle accusations in the absence of witnesses or a confession in which two parties in dispute fought in single combat; the winner of the fight was proclaimed to be right.

And the "field of battle" is social media, mostly.
It takes so little to be above average.

Langue_doc

• Flâneur par excellence
  • "Not all those who wander are lost."
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2021, 06:52:01 AM »
"Like", as in one of the options on what to do with my campus email (in addition to the other options of "reply", "reply all", and "forward".  If only I could tag messages as those that I "like", "dislike", or "actively and vehemently dislike" with no repercussions! I didn't realize that you were supposed to "like" whiny or inane emails.

Cheerful

« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2021, 08:45:43 AM »
Whataboutism

mahagonny

« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2021, 06:00:16 AM »
ubertalented