Author Topic: Personal Finance and the Economy  (Read 788 times)

Cheerful

Re: Personal Finance and the Economy
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
Well over the past year or so, my videos, mostly older ones (there are 12 or so public ones), have taken off, and 10 days ago I hit the higher threshold to make money on YouTube with watch hours and subscribers. The trajectory is continuing upwards, so even if I don't make any new videos (which I actually will do), I am on pace to make like at least 5K+ a year.

Wow, that's great, enjoy that revenue!

zuzu_

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
Well over the past year or so, my videos, mostly older ones (there are 12 or so public ones), have taken off, and 10 days ago I hit the higher threshold to make money on YouTube with watch hours and subscribers. The trajectory is continuing upwards, so even if I don't make any new videos (which I actually will do), I am on pace to make like at least 5K+ a year.

Wow, that's great, enjoy that revenue!

Thanks! YouTube is a pretty unstable source of income. Any tweak to the algorithm or monetization policy change and I'm screwed. Account suspensions can also happen at any time and there is no meaningful appeal process. But I will enjoy it while it lasts! I'm creating this material for my students anyways, and it takes me an extra five minutes to make a public, monetized version of the same material. Somehow the Google algorithm puts my stuff at the top of search results. It's a happy accident, but I'm sure it can be accidentally undone at any time.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:00 PM »
I wonder if the algorithm has to do with "most recently posted in, tops the listings going out"?

I'm interested in hearing more about the account setup and so on.

Not so much in monetization, but for use in replacing weekly tours that can't be done this year because, virus.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

zuzu_

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
I wonder if the algorithm has to do with "most recently posted in, tops the listings going out"?

I'm interested in hearing more about the account setup and so on.

Not so much in monetization, but for use in replacing weekly tours that can't be done this year because, virus.

M.

I pay for ScreenCast-O-Matic, which is one of the easiest and more intuitive softwares I've ever used. Support is excellent too, and you can connect it to your YouTube account for easy upload. I like to use YouTube for all instructional videos because it's extremely stable and plays nice with all browsers and devices.