Author Topic: Trendy Words I Do Not Like  (Read 3642 times)

apl68

• Distinguished Senior Member
Re: Trendy Words I Do Not Like
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2020, 07:33:56 AM »
I'm starting to get a little tired of "intentional," as used in sentences like "We must be intentional in our efforts to accomplish [thing that is really important], or "Be intentional in your reading."

Tee_Bee

• CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2020, 09:58:16 PM »
I am rather surprised that the word actionable hasn't turned up yet. I despise the use of this term to describe a thing that one can do.  I once asked, after someone deployed this execrable example of MBA-speak, why one would want to develop a list of things to, as one online dictionary puts it, "[give] sufficient reason to take legal action." Yes, I see that the dictionary, in the best tradition of descriptive rather than prescriptive dictionaries, has provided the "able to be done" definition as well. Still, I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard (google it if you're under 30) than hear this legal jargon tossed about by associate vice whatevers.

Vkw10

• Adequate sleep increases productivity. Good night!
  • CHE Posts: 1,228
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2020, 04:56:55 AM »
More expeditiously. This one may be a local trend, but I have recent emails from three people using it instead of “soon” or “by X”.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ab_grp

• CHE Posts: 7,653
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2020, 07:55:33 AM »
I have seen the word "delighted" used way too many times recently.  Is this a thing now? Everyone seems to be so delighted all the time.  Delighted to tell you about a new hire, delighted to let you know that a new book has come out, etc. 

mahagonny

« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2020, 09:00:06 AM »
I have seen the word "delighted" used way too many times recently.  Is this a thing now? Everyone seems to be so delighted all the time.  Delighted to tell you about a new hire, delighted to let you know that a new book has come out, etc.

Delighted that you have pointed this out to us.

ab_grp

« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »

Delighted that you have pointed this out to us.

I'm delighted to have been of service.

ciao_yall

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
Yeah, what is it with "delighted?" Our Chancellor announced he was "delighted" that the Board passed a multi-year plan which included massive budget cuts to "stabilize" the college. Is he so "delighted" with the management team that messed up so badly we had to do these cuts in the first place?

marshwiggle

• Finally, a
  • Old Narnian
  • CHE Posts: 3299
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2020, 01:55:06 PM »
Yeah, what is it with "delighted?"

On another thread, there's a discussion of the overuse of "outraged". The two are a symptom of what out society has become; all the emotional intensity, all the time. Every issue must be black and white, and every good and rational person must see it exactly the same way.

It takes so little to be above average.

ab_grp

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »
Yeah, what is it with "delighted?" Our Chancellor announced he was "delighted" that the Board passed a multi-year plan which included massive budget cuts to "stabilize" the college. Is he so "delighted" with the management team that messed up so badly we had to do these cuts in the first place?

Or delighted to announce that a reorganization has taken place! Never mind the extensive "difficult staffing decisions" that were made as part of the restructuring.  Luckily, none of the delighted higher ups were affected.  And, the organization is now much more agile! It's delightful.