Author Topic: The Inhale Thread !  (Read 2773 times)

cathwen

Re: The Inhale Thread !
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »
Indeed. Dangerously, time-wastingly good.

I just finished all of Brett's Holmes, saw all of Miss Fisher's earlier series and several others in recent years...and yes, the Nero Wolfe series is so far excellent in the same ways, luxurious fittings and clothing, wonderful filming, etc.

It's on YouTube right now; let me know if a search doesn't bring it up and I'll post the URL...

M.

Here's the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UvZDRXVBUo

I warned you...

;--}

M.

Oh my goodness!  Thank you for this, Mamselle! 

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »
De nada!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

• CHE Posts: 760
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
My new book came out today!* Yay!

* As an open-access e-book. There'll be paper versions eventually, but coronavirus.

mamselle

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
Felicitations!

(Congrats!)

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

archaeo42

• overly caffeinated
  • CHE Posts: 1327
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »
I had acted as a reviewer for an NSF dissertation grant in the Fall. The student is someone I've met a couple times and was interested in their research focus generally. I checked the NSF awards database today and learned they had a successful proposal! I'll be very interested to see the final results.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Vkw10

• Adequate sleep increases productivity. Good night!
  • CHE Posts: 1,228
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »

I have my own laptop. I have home internet. I can work at home and my job that seems fairly secure. I am not worried about elderly parents, both of whom died serene in their belief in heaven. My cousins are caring for their elderly parents. My loved ones all seem to be taking appropriate precautions to stay healthy.  I live in a low-density, gated, 55-plus apartment complex with a walking path, grass, and trees, so I can walk safely. My mostly older and retired neighbors are waving and talking from a distance when outside.

In the midst of challenging days, I can inhale deeply.

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ergative

• CHE Posts: 1949
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2020, 04:25:28 AM »
There's a river that cuts my neighborhood in two, just a few blocks from my front door, and it has a lovely river path that extends for miles along it. Wild garlic grows along the banks in astonishing profusion. I've been putting on an audio book and taking long walks along it the last few days, collecting the garlic ramps by the pound to add some zing to my rather dull beans-and-rice meals*. It's been doing wonders for mental health.

*No real problems, just lots of pantry food to eat so as to reduce the frequency of grocery trips.

sinenomine

• CHE Posts: 707
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2020, 05:22:18 AM »
I have a job and stability, I’m saving money by not commuting or dining out, and I get to spend plenty of time outside with my horse and at home, making music.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 08:37:56 AM »
Having gone from being an energetic amoebocyte in the mesoglea of life to a sessile polyp, I find myself thriving.

Very grateful.

M.

AmLitHist

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
Classes started again today, and my second 8-weeks class opened.  Relief!  (All the "OMG, this is going to be SOOOOOO hard" emails were getting to me.)

Also, I heard from an older, really fun student from my Comp I from last fall (which feels like about 100 years ago). She just wanted to check and see if I was OK--nice!

apl68

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
Still able to work, and have not yet been required to lay off any staff.  And so far I've had hardly any allergy trouble this spring, which keeps me from getting any suspicious looks when I'm around others.