Author Topic: Goodbye, Cruel Fora  (Read 1529 times)

writingprof

Goodbye, Cruel Fora
« on: February 21, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
Friends, it has been a pleasure to commiserate and argue with you these many years. I joined the old fora in 2009 or so, if memory serves, and it would be difficult to overstate how helpful this community has been as I have moved through my career. They say that what one does online isn't "real life," but I have many happy memories of this place (and the old place) that suggest otherwise. I will miss it.

With love (and a bit of hate, for one or two of you),

Writingprof

Ruralguy

• Distinguished Senior Member
Re: Goodbye, Cruel Fora
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »
OK,

May I ask what has brought this on? I think you and I may have gotten into it once or twice,
but I sort of don't mind in general if a bunch of people are sitting around commenting on stuff or in ways I don't agree with.

nebo113

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 05:29:16 AM »
Friends, it has been a pleasure to commiserate and argue with you these many years. I joined the old fora in 2009 or so, if memory serves, and it would be difficult to overstate how helpful this community has been as I have moved through my career. They say that what one does online isn't "real life," but I have many happy memories of this place (and the old place) that suggest otherwise. I will miss it.

Writingprof

Please have Mahoganny accompany you.

downer

• This heaven gives me migraine.
  • CHE Posts: 7500
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:26:09 AM »
So.
Farewell then
writingprof

You are leaving
the fora.
So you say.

You were known for
your politics.

My friend Keith's mum
said you were a good laugh.
She will miss you.

Writing is good.
Hope you do
more good writing
prof.

EJ Tribb (17 1/2)
"Change takes courage." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

mahagonny

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:59:51 AM »
Is this an answer to 'where do republicans go from here?'

Writingprof

one thing I can tell you about liberals. They don't like diversity.
Silence is violence.

eigen

• A function of something...
  • Administrator
  • CHE Posts: 1477
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »

Writingprof

Yes, that's the takeaway. This is about those bad "liberals" who don't want "diversity".

Descartes

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »

Writingprof

Yes, that's the takeaway. This is about those bad "liberals" who don't want "diversity".

He's not wrong though ...

eigen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »

Writingprof

It's such a ridiculously hyperbolic generalization that it is, in fact, wrong. Not to mention that it has zero connection to the discussion here.

clean

• CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »

Writingprof

Glad that it served you well.  But as with many things, once the usefulness has passed, it is time to move on! 

The good news is that there is no deposit or minimum usage required. You can return if you choose later, perhaps.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Ruralguy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »
I know I'm missing something.

Has someone been cancelled over moronic posts?

If so, should I worry?

Descartes

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »

Writingprof

It's such a ridiculously hyperbolic generalization that it is, in fact, wrong. Not to mention that it has zero connection to the discussion here.

It has been so well documented that it doesn't need citation that people who dare to question liberal or leftist orthodoxy are often "canceled" because their very conversation or contribution to it is deemed dangerous.

I just googled "professor" and mixed it with several hot button social issues of the day and found plenty of examples.

dismalist

• Hardly a
  • Often wrong, never in doubt.
  • CHE Posts: 1513
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »

Writingprof

Aside from his razor sharp logic, the most endearing attribute of Writingprof's was his humor, a too rare commodity.
We have met the enemy, and they is us.
--Pogo

eigen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »

Writingprof

It has been so well documented that it doesn't need citation that people who dare to question liberal or leftist orthodoxy are often "canceled" because their very conversation or contribution to it is deemed dangerous.

I just googled "professor" and mixed it with several hot button social issues of the day and found plenty of examples.

Again, a hyperbolic oversimplification. And again, zero connection to the discussion here.

apl68

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 01:26:09 PM »

Writingprof

Glad that it served you well.  But as with many things, once the usefulness has passed, it is time to move on! 

The good news is that there is no deposit or minimum usage required. You can return if you choose later, perhaps.

Wait--there's no deposit required to use The Fora?  Then I'm going to have to have a talk with the poster who collected that $300 deposit when I signed up.  Now I'm beginning to have my suspicions about the sign-up fee too....
Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on Earth, where they can decay or be stolen.  Lay up treasures for yourselves in Heaven, where there is no decay or theft.  Where your treasure is, you heart will be also.

You can't take it with you.  You can only send it on ahead.

eigen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »

Writingprof

Wait--there's no deposit required to use The Fora?  Then I'm going to have to have a talk with the poster who collected that $300 deposit when I signed up.  Now I'm beginning to have my suspicions about the sign-up fee too....

Nope, totally legit snack server costs. Don't ask questions....