News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

March Research

Started by darkstarrynight, March 01, 2021, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Good day, forumites! It is already March, so here is a new thread for March Research.

Short-Term Goals

• Pre-record conference presentation for late March virtual convention
  • Prepare outline for live panel for late March virtual convention
  • Prepare live presentation with colleagues for April virtual convention
  • Review lit and finish IRB for new project with two colleagues
  • Finalize transcript clean-up with subfield colleague and GA, start analyzing interviews and notes
  • Start new project with colleague in my department - IRB, lit, figuring out process
  • Revise book chapter when we receive feedback in early March

Long-Term Goals

• Stop taking on new projects! Ahhhh!
  • Continuing working on fascinating project that has stalled due to COVID, once everyone is safe and able to go to their offices and get me copies of a defunct journal I am collecting.

Parasaurolophus

March is baby month, so I'm gonna go for an attenuated set of goals and pre-emptively forgive myself for not clearing them all:

• Divisional conference organization
  • Annual conference organization
  • Touch up two book sections
  • Start a new book section
  • Read 1-2 items for Collaboration 3

Today, I'll maybe try my hand at touching up a book section if I have the time. Also, like you, darkstarrynight, I need to stop taking on new projects. In particular, I need to say 'no' to anything and everything new this month.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

My teaching schedule is going to ramp up next week and I have to finish putting together my tenure packet, so research will be on the backburner this month. But I have a few goals:

• Resubmit conditionally accepted paper
  • Submit rejected paper to a new journal
  • Continue making progress on data collection project - RAs doing the bulk of the work on this at the moment
  • Make progress on 2 conference papers due in April

nonsensical

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 01, 2021, 09:49:27 AM
March is baby month

How exciting!

I spent this afternoon working on a paper draft that a post-doc sent to me. I've gone through the intro and about half of the methods and results. My brain is pretty done for today, but I'll pick up again later this week.

Sun_Worshiper

darkstarrynight

March is baby month

Congrats! I got the book chapter feedback today after I made the first post, and it is actually helpful and not scary. One of the book editors is a co-author on our chapter, and while hu "stayed out of" editing our chapter, hu mentioned that the other two editors were happy with it, that it was one of the stronger ones submitted. I will get cranking on the edits and then share with my three co-authors. We have until tax day to resubmit, and that seems reasonable given what we have to revise.

Parasaurolophus

Thanks everyone, but it hasn't cracked the eggshell quite yet! With luck, I have another week.

Today, I'll maybe try my hand at touching up a book section if I have the time.

I did a tiny little bit, but other tasks intruded, We'll try again tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

March is baby month, so I'm gonna go for an attenuated set of goals and pre-emptively forgive myself for not clearing them all:

• Divisional conference organization
  • Annual conference organization
  • Touch up two book sections
  • Start a new book section
  • Read 1-2 items for Collaboration 3

Today, I'll maybe try my hand at touching up a book section if I have the time. Also, like you, darkstarrynight, I need to stop taking on new projects. In particular, I need to say 'no' to anything and everything new this month.

What's baby month???
Are you having a baby in the month of March, is that what it means? 
Or is it a 'new book deal' and the book is the baby...
In any case, congrats!!
Hey, I'm learning new things here... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I need this grant approved...

Faith786

A few of these goals have continued from Feb, but I think I did really well in Feb, so I'm not feeling too guilty.

March goals:
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-read article for 2021 project
-write reflection of article for 2021 project
-revise and resubmit article #3
-sign book chapter contract/document page
-write a page for item#4 (book chapter#1) due late July 2021
-read, revise and email myself manuscript #5 and get it down to <20-25 pages
-Read/review/summarize relevant paper to add to research library for 2021 project
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-peer review manuscript due March 2
-peer review manuscript due March 12
-peer review manuscript due March 19

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 4 more get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research

darkstarrynight

I received an acceptance today! I am so happy. This is from the second revision submitted last week with my four co-authors, a grant funded project that we applied for in 2017. I am so, so excited because we able to make implications from our research for something pretty major happening in this field that is connected to state and federal legislation changing! YAHOO! I am drinking sparkling water (that has a cocktail flavor but is non-alcoholic) to celebrate.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Faith786 on March 02, 2021, 05:07:14 AM

What's baby month???

Yup, that's the one. 0_o

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 02, 2021, 09:33:03 AM
I received an acceptance today! I am so happy. This is from the second revision submitted last week with my four co-authors, a grant funded project that we applied for in 2017. I am so, so excited because we able to make implications from our research for something pretty major happening in this field that is connected to state and federal legislation changing! YAHOO! I am drinking sparkling water (that has a cocktail flavor but is non-alcoholic) to celebrate.

Yay, congratulations!

Today, I got a rejection back without comments (after a few months, so not a desk rejection). It's the third time in a row for this paper. It's not at all a bad paper, though. I can accept its rejection, but the lack of comments three times in a row is a little infuriating. In any case, I've already submitted it somewhere else.

As for research tasks... I guess today I'll either read for Collaboration 3 or work on touching up a book section.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 02, 2021, 10:22:27 AM

What's baby month???

Yup, that's the one. 0_o

Oh wow, that's amazing!! Congratulations on a cute bundle of joy. Thank goodness for babies, they are so cute, cuddly, and essentially miracles...God bless!!

Faith786

Congratulations...and cheers!!!

nonsensical

Congratulations!

I finished the paper I was working on yesterday. The timing was also nice because I sent it off close to the end of my work day, so now I feel like the day has a sense of closure. I don't like leaving work with something halfway done, so this feels like a particularly nice way to end the day.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 02, 2021, 10:22:27 AM

What's baby month???

Yup, that's the one. 0_o

Yay, congratulations!

Today, I got a rejection back without comments (after a few months, so not a desk rejection). It's the third time in a row for this paper. It's not at all a bad paper, though. I can accept its rejection, but the lack of comments three times in a row is a little infuriating. In any case, I've already submitted it somewhere else.

As for research tasks... I guess today I'll either read for Collaboration 3 or work on touching up a book section.

That is aggravating. I really appreciate when I get good feedback even with a rejection.

Quote from: nonsensical on March 02, 2021, 01:31:44 PM

I finished the paper I was working on yesterday. The timing was also nice because I sent it off close to the end of my work day, so now I feel like the day has a sense of closure. I don't like leaving work with something halfway done, so this feels like a particularly nice way to end the day.

That is wonderful, nonsensical!

I did a lot today outside of celebrate my acceptance. I met with my new departmental colleague to work on our idea and IRB application. I read five studies for my project with the two colleagues who met last week and wrote up summaries. I need to work on IRB next for that. I also cleaned up the book chapter revision with some of the basic edits, and my three co-authors will now tackle the remaining comments with me in a shared document. They are not too bad, and we have six weeks to get that finalized. I also completed proposal reviews for an organization's conference.