Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 8154 times)

monarda

• Still younger looking
  • CHE Posts: 890
Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »
Reviving this thread- what movies are you watching on Netflix (or whatever other software you use?)

We watched "Last Tango in Halifax" and loved that. We need something new to watch.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »
I just put down an article by Anthony Lane in The New Yorker ("A Bug's Life," pp. 57-62) reviewing a wide range of disaster/epidemic/mad-scientist-loose-among-the-populace films, which I thought could have served as the syllabus of a course on the subject all by itself.

Maybe one of those would do?

;-->

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

• Adequate sleep increases productivity. Good night!
  • CHE Posts: 1,228
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »
Not a movie, but I just finished A Discovery of Witches, season 1, which was amazingly faithful to the book. Bought it from Amazon. Might have to subscribe to a streaming service when season 2 is released.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Stockmann

« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2020, 09:37:04 AM »
The Invitation. The premise does involve some interesting elements (grief, etc) added on to the standar dinner-party-from-hell subgenre - but the movie then completely wastes them and becomes bog-standard fare, with behavior that makes zero psychological sense by several characters, including the leads. Not really worth watching.

hmaria1609

• CHE Posts: 560
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2020, 07:08:23 PM »
I watched "Queen Margot" on Kanopy. (Accessible from the library online) It's an adaptation of the eponymous novel by Alexandre Dumas. I haven't read the novel, however, I read and own the dual biography The Rival Queens by Nancy Goldstone.

Adaptation of Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility (2008)

Not a movie, but I just finished A Discovery of Witches, season 1, which was amazingly faithful to the book. Bought it from Amazon. Might have to subscribe to a streaming service when season 2 is released.
Have you read the rest of the "All Souls" trilogy novels? I've seen copies of the trilogy at the library but haven't read them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:20:04 PM by hmaria1609 »

Economizer

« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
ARE MANY STATES allowing new release theaters to open?  Will there be a logjam of new releases coming out at once?

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

• near crested lizard
  • Senior Moderator
  • CHE Posts: 1640
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »
Tonight we're watching This is Spinal Tap and Anvil: The Story of Anvil, because my partner has never had the pleasure.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

• CHE Posts: 7,653
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
We've mostly been watching comedies lately due to some severe stress surrounding work (Pitch Perfect 1, 2; Better Off Dead; Groundhog Day).  Last night we watched Serenity, which my spouse had shared with me a few years ago.  We recently watched Firefly, so we rewatched the movie, and it definitely connected more for me after seeing the show. 

clean

• CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »
ARE MANY STATES allowing new release theaters to open?  Will there be a logjam of new releases coming out at once?

I think that we are legal. I believe that one independent has opened somewhere in the county.

For the most part, the big ones have remained closed. I got a survey from Alamo Drafthouse a few weeks ago. It asked some questions about reopening ... like would we be willing to pay $10 a person in food purchases in addition to admissions?

At present, though, there are no releases to show, so no real reason to rush to reopen. 

I am not going to pay an additional $10 each in food purchases for each movie, and there are no movies to watch anyway.  I am in the high risk group and Im not sure that I want to watch a movie in a mask. 

Under what conditions would you consider returning to a movie?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

• CHE Posts: 18449
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »

[. . .] 

Probably none. Haven't had a good theater experience since Despicable Me 2 (2013) and Inside Out (2015) -- nominally children's movies that the infants to pre-teens in the room were entranced by, and which contained enough adult material to keep the parents off their phones. I have no interest in comic book superhero special effects extravaganzas and inevitably a movie made for the big screen and for which I have high hopes, like Blade Runner 2049, lets me down. I can watch a movie in the comfort of my own home and not have to put up with jackasses talking with each other for far less money.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »

After a year has passed with a very low incidence of viral transmission.

Seriously.

Same for church, visits with friends, etc.

I like my life and I like living it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
When cleaning between showings becomes routine.

saffie

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
I got a survey from Alamo Drafthouse a few weeks ago. It asked some questions about reopening ... like would we be willing to pay $10 a person in food purchases in addition to admissions?

I received the same, I think. There were also questions about cleaning, distancing (keep empty seat between people), limited menu options. $ amount was higher for NYC area.

I'd consider going back if strict cleaning between screenings and extra space between customers were in place. It would involve a subway trip too though, so that's something else to think about.

Vkw10

• Adequate sleep increases productivity. Good night!
  • CHE Posts: 1,228
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »
Have you read the rest of the "All Souls" trilogy novels? I've seen copies of the trilogy at the library but haven't read them.

Yes, I have. I bought the first as an audiobook, years ago, for a long car trip, then bought hard copies of each to read. The setting pulled me into the first book, a historian who happens to be a witch studying alchemy texts at the Bodleian? I couldn't resist a fantasy that starts in a library.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

sprout

• CHE Posts: 546
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:27 PM »

Honestly, I'd go back to a movie theater before a restaurant.  If masks are required (and enforced) and movies are run at half capacity maximum.  I think it would be easier to institute cleaning between movie showings than between seatings at a restaurant.  And I can watch a movie in a mask, but I can't eat a meal masked up.  To be fair, my local theater upgraded to the big, wide lounger seats with big, wide aisles a few years ago, so there was already some space between patrons pre-covid.