Author Topic: Where have you worked in the world, and what was it like?  (Read 2288 times)

Aster

Re: Where have you worked in the world, and what was it like?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 01:20:41 PM »
A cousin of mine taught there for several years in the 1970s-80s.

He made many similar observations; good to know that those things have continued to go well.

M.

My mother studied in Costa Rica in the 1990s and 2000s, while trying to develop study abroad opportunities for students at her college.  Much as she loved Mexico and Spain, I get the impression that Costa Rica was her favorite.  It is a remarkable little place.

One new thing about Costa Rica as of July 2019. A new value-added tax has been implemented across many/most services. This is throwing a real wrench into trip planning and trip budgets. If you are running trips into Costa Rica (or planning on running trips), its probably going to cost more and will definitely be a lot more hassle getting finalized contracts worked out with your hotels, chaperones, travel planners, etc...

https://news.co.cr/crazy-new-tax-laws-in-costa-rica-that-you-need-to-know-about/79822/

Juvenal

• "There's always something."
  • CHE Posts: 1001
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
That paragon of psycho-social surprise, the natives incomprehensible, the NY Metro area.  For decades.  It (and they) kept me prisoner. You know, a retirement plan, health care--those chains and fetters that can nail you down.

I longed to live  and radiate learning to other people, people who spoke a language I could not understand, a home I shared with mosquitoes and pathogens.  I was devastated when this did not come to pass.

Now that my septuagenarian body is crumbling (details on request), it's so sad that I could not have failed-to-the-grave long since among folks more authentic and close to the earth.  But, here I am, among natives who worship their lawns, their malls, their access to clean water, and other sub-tribes who want to sell access to thousands of channels/sites on computers that rarely fail.

If only I were among folks who had an ice floe to set me a-sail on.  Global warning a problem there.  Ah, well...
Cranky septuagenarian

brixton

• CHE Posts: 5815
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2019, 12:06:47 AM »
I'm teaching American Literature in Xi'an China, right now, and loving it.  The students are focused and fun.  They ask interesting questions and are always prepared.  My colleagues are super nice and helpful.  I you're suffering from burn-out, I can't say enough good things about breaking out of your bubble and seeing the world through your discipline in another part of the world.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2019, 12:34:18 AM »
Great to hear!

You got there safely, and things were set up for you?

I recall you were pondering the possibilities not very long ago...

Keep us updated, on this thread, or some other!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Kron3007

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2019, 04:23:49 AM »
A cousin of mine taught there for several years in the 1970s-80s.

He made many similar observations; good to know that those things have continued to go well.

M.

My mother studied in Costa Rica in the 1990s and 2000s, while trying to develop study abroad opportunities for students at her college.  Much as she loved Mexico and Spain, I get the impression that Costa Rica was her favorite.  It is a remarkable little place.

One new thing about Costa Rica as of July 2019. A new value-added tax has been implemented across many/most services. This is throwing a real wrench into trip planning and trip budgets. If you are running trips into Costa Rica (or planning on running trips), its probably going to cost more and will definitely be a lot more hassle getting finalized contracts worked out with your hotels, chaperones, travel planners, etc...

https://news.co.cr/crazy-new-tax-laws-in-costa-rica-that-you-need-to-know-about/79822/

Interesting.  I run a filed course there and have not seen any real change this year beyond a moderate increase in line with the usual inflation.  I guess they must have made some adjustments to compensate.

Regarding the OP, I have worked most in Canada, with some time in the USA (continental and Hawaii), and have started some projects in Colombia and travel there semi regularly.

Definitely great to get these opportunities and work in different places, but I really need to improve my Spanish.

Parasaurolophus

• near crested lizard
  • Senior Moderator
  • CHE Posts: 1640
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
I'm teaching American Literature in Xi'an China, right now, and loving it.  The students are focused and fun.  They ask interesting questions and are always prepared.  My colleagues are super nice and helpful.  I you're suffering from burn-out, I can't say enough good things about breaking out of your bubble and seeing the world through your discipline in another part of the world.

Xi'an is a fascinating city. The air quality was horrid when I went there (back in 2003), and no doubt the walls didn't help. But... those walls! Cripes! What a beautiful city. I'd love to go back and spend a while.
I know it's a genus.