Author Topic: What have you read lately?  (Read 22357 times)

ergative

• CHE Posts: 1949
Re: What have you read lately?
« Reply #420 on: January 12, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
Now we're reading another of the newer sci fi books I got him for his birthday: Red Rising (Pierce Brown).  We just started, but it sounds interesting [took the Amazon blurb out from my previous post] and is the first of a series.  I fell asleep during the first chapter so will have to catch up on the reading.

We finished the book last night, and I fell asleep during the final two or so pages.  Despite bookending the read with me being asleep, it was a pretty engaging story, and we will be reading the sequel sometime soon.  There were some interesting takes on power, in particular.  The main character/narrator seems a bit full of himself given the number of fairly obvious reveals he does not catch onto very quickly.  Aside from some minor eye rolling here and there, we thought it was a fun and intriguing story.  Perhaps not the best to read right now given the recent government events, but we did not anticipate those specifics when we started.

Tonight we will being the second book in The Expanse series, Caliban's War (Corey).   It seems to have gotten good reviews, so we'll see where it takes things from Leviathan's Wake.

I find this maddening! I just finished Juliet Marillier's The Harp of Kings, the first in her 'Warrior Bards' sequence. Warrior Bards--what's not to like? Also, I imprinted hard on her Sevenwaters trilogy when I was a teenager. But it had a similar problem, and I really dislike books where the characters are dense as to the plot of their own stories.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #421 on: January 12, 2021, 07:22:10 PM »
But that is sort of true-to-life.

People who are full of themselves are usually tone-deaf, clueless, and egocentric. They don't pick up nuance and they don't learn interpretive logic.

Rather like a certain president I can think of at the moment...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

• CHE Posts: 1949
« Reply #422 on: January 13, 2021, 12:18:15 AM »
But that is sort of true-to-life.

People who are full of themselves are usually tone-deaf, clueless, and egocentric. They don't pick up nuance and they don't learn interpretive logic.

Rather like a certain president I can think of at the moment...

M.

Remember, you're talking to someone whose favorite genre involves dinosaur wizards flying spaceships. I tend to prefer my fiction untrue to life; an improvement on the original, if you will.