Author Topic: Fauna and other natural things  (Read 12872 times)

OneMoreYear

Re: Fauna and other natural things
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
We have a yard bunny (bunnies?)! However, there are varying opinions regarding the bunny:
I think it's cute to see it frolicking in the grass.
SO thinks the bunny is ruining his garden and keeps threatening to find a recipe for rabbit stew.
Ninja (large black kitty) thinks the bunny looks like a fun toy.
Ricochet (squirrelly tortie) thinks the bunny does not look like much of a challenge and is happy to assist SO in his quest for stew if only we would let her outside (after which we would never see her again).
The bunny is apparently happily ignorant to the debate occurring 10 feet away.

We also occasionally have yard deer, which SO describes as "large white-tailed rats"

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »
Your SO has my sympathies. We have tree rats (squirrels) and they have been pilfering my blueberries! Not a happy camper.

waterboy

« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
So...for birders...is it "pie-leated" or "pill-leated" woodpeckers?  I've always used "pie", but "tomato" "tomahto"?
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

namazu

« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2020, 09:17:37 AM »
So...for birders...is it "pie-leated" or "pill-leated" woodpeckers?  I've always used "pie", but "tomato" "tomahto"?
I've always said "PILL-lee-eight-ed", but that's not based on any actual advanced knowledge of the pronunciation.  They're loud and (both literally and figuratively) striking birds!

nebo113

« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2020, 04:38:39 AM »

Pill-ee-a-ted

apl68

« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »
I thought it was "pie-leated."  But really I just call them "Woody."

OneMoreYear

« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »
Your SO has my sympathies. We have tree rats (squirrels) and they have been pilfering my blueberries! Not a happy camper.

For some reason, squirrels are not on my SO's list of animals that get a "%$@! [animal-related adjective] rats" moniker.  We don't have berry bushes/trees though. We have installed some garden netting/fencing in hopes that the tomato plants make it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »

For some reason, squirrels are not on my SO's list of animals that get a "%$@! [animal-related adjective] rats" moniker.  We don't have berry bushes/trees though. We have installed some garden netting/fencing in hopes that the tomato plants make it.

I know, 'rat' has a negative connotation. I actually prefer rats over squirrels- I used to have them as pets when I was a kid.

paultuttle

« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »
Our really cute chipmunk is now staying under our wood wheelchair-access ramp during the heat of the day. Earlier in the morning, he/she can be found on our front porch looking for acorns and other edibles.

Frequently, while working these last 3.5 months from home, I have looked up from my desk in our former dining room and enjoyed seeing our completely adorable chipmunk between six and eight feet away--close enough to see its little jaw muscles chewing.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »
Alvin!

OKaaayyy, Dave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zDY0DK2H8

(Well, it was just Christmas in June, right?)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2020, 07:53:33 AM »
My parents are convinced that they've seen bears several times in recent weeks.  What they're describing does indeed sound like black bears.  However, these have all been fleeting sightings from a distance, so I don't know.  Bear sightings are certainly a possibility where they live.  And where I live, for that matter.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
Reduced human movement may be emboldening them.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

• Rats, Books, and Board Games
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2020, 01:04:43 PM »
When one of our rats crosses the rainbow bridge, we bury them in a flower pot with a plant that matched their personality. Back in March, we planted some seeds that we got from the Burpee rack at Target in Jasper's pot. Unfortunately, what has grown has now been identified as Canadian Nettle and I might be the world's worst gardener.

On the upside, we did see a fox a few nights ago. She was glorious.

namazu

« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2020, 01:42:31 PM »
We have our first monarch caterpillars, with more eggs laid today!

They seem to love the hot, humid weather that makes me wilt.

Thursday's_Child

• prone to antiquated faculty thought patterns
« Reply #299 on: July 21, 2020, 07:42:38 AM »
Iceland is still having earthquake swarms - the latest is in/around the Reykjanes Peninsula, which has seen earthquakes from magma intrusions off and on all this year.
https://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes