Author Topic: Applying as an associate  (Read 650 times)

ratherbehiking

Applying as an associate
« on: September 03, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »
I recently received tenure at an R1, but I need to move to a different geographic area for family reasons. I have two questions. First, how long should the cover letter be for an associate professor in the social sciences? Three pages? Four? Second question concerns what I should say in the cover letter about why I am applying. Should I even refer to the family issues? Or should I pretend that it's here because this other institution is the bee's knees and I just want to work there?

Thanks! It's been a long time since I applied for a job.

Hibush

• blueberries
  • CHE Posts: 942
Re: Applying as an associate
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
"this other institution is the bee's knees and I just want to work there"
Work on the cover letter until you convince yourself that this statement is true.

Ruralguy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »
To me, the family issues, always putting a positive spin on it, can be woven in during a dinner.
That is, in the form of "I've enjoyed everything I've seen today, and can see how I'd enjoy working here. Also, my spouse is from here, and often talks about it. I think she'd enjoy living here as well."  This may be something decided by spouse a year prior---she's definitely moving there to be closer to kids from another marriage or whatever--but don't refer to those sorts details! At least not at first.

pink_

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »
I'm in the humanities, but I don't want to read more than 2 pages in a cover letter. Your CV and other materials can fill in the rest. I would want to see a brief mention of why us in that letter, and by brief I mean a sentence or two. "I grew up in the region and have long been hoping for an opportunity to return and be closer to my extended family . . ." kind of thing.

larryc

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
2 pages, bee's knees.

If I am hiring, I don't much care what a better fit my institution or community is for you. I want to hire the best candidate for us. However, since you are trying to go down in rank, you do need to say explicitly that you are ready to do so.

yikesdoc

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »
More than 2 pages needs a good justification. If you are also including research and teaching statements, then use those for anything beyond the "bee's knees" bit