News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2019 summer/fall: Starting the new job cohort

Started by polly_mer, May 23, 2019, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Congratulations to all those who have accepted job offers for summer/fall!

This is for everyone starting a new job because many of the joys, challenges, and just need to share with someone in a similar boat are true regardless of your official title and often regardless of job sector.

Commiserate here with the process of starting new, possibly moving, and possibly being both enthusiastic beyond measure and frustrated as life intervenes.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

bhiennsona

Hi all! I start a TT faculty position August 1st and am in crunch time trying to finish stuff up for my postdoc. I have to make duplicates of my research items to move, I'm waiting on permits to move some of my research and I've already started doing stuff for my new position (some light committee stuff that I'm really glad I'm being included on since it directly impacts my position, prepping my classes, spending start up, etc.). On top of that, my wife and I are trying to plan a cross country move for our family with the youngest being 2 and the oldest 7 (three kids total). There are things I'd like to be doing, but many of those things I'm letting slide since I have to prioritize my remaining time. But considering everything I'm still very excited. My wife and I will be living close to family for the first time in 10 years and the kids are excited to have cousins that they can play with rather than just talk to on the phone. Plus the position is exactly the job that I've wanted since going to grad school and I'll have quite a bit of research freedom.

Parasaurolophus

Oh, I didn't see that my post was deleted. This is me, too! Except that I'm already halfway through teaching the first of two summer semesters.

I'm really regretting not having the time to finish up my postdoc projects, especially when this particularly job is much more challenging (/gruelling) than I anticipated. But, hey. Whatcha gonna do? At least I don't have to move.
I know it's a genus.

gw_hayduke

I am in the process of selling my house, finding a place to live in new city, and working with 4 undergraduate research students at my current institution for the next 2 months. I am surprisingly calm. Having done this before really has made things significantly less stressful.

Job-wise I am excited for the new position and all the challenges/opportunities that come with it. I am going back on the tenure-track, so that part is a bummer, but everything else about the change is great. Plus I will probably use my re-found tt status to go after some early career funding opportunities that were no longer available to me as a tenured associate. My fall teaching schedule is nearly identical to my teaching schedule last fall (with 1 less course!), so while I have a few tweaks to make, I am pretty much ready to roll. I already have a couple students interested in joining my research group, so I anticipate a relatively smooth transition there as well.

My first classes start in just under 3 months...!

-gw

polly_mer

Quote from: gw_hayduke on May 29, 2019, 08:48:23 AM
Plus I will probably use my re-found tt status to go after some early career funding opportunities that were no longer available to me as a tenured associate.

Will that work?  I've found that I missed all the windows by being in the wrong job status every time (e.g., must be 5 years out from PhD and I was well past that when I took my first TT job or must have N years left at assistant professor to cover the whole grant time and I was hired on a shortened tenure clock as assistant professor so I missed that one, too.)

gw_hayduke

Quote from: polly_mer on May 29, 2019, 05:18:37 PM
Plus I will probably use my re-found tt status to go after some early career funding opportunities that were no longer available to me as a tenured associate.

Will that work?  I've found that I missed all the windows by being in the wrong job status every time (e.g., must be 5 years out from PhD and I was well past that when I took my first TT job or must have N years left at assistant professor to cover the whole grant time and I was hired on a shortened tenure clock as assistant professor so I missed that one, too.)

It varies wildly between agencies and awards. For example, the Cottrell Scholar is a no go because this will be my 2nd TT position, but I will be eligible to submit an NSF CAREER (dream big!).

-gw

saffie

Have a verbal offer for a full-time NTT position (STEM) in the Fall, just waiting on the official paperwork to come through. I've been adjuncting at the same place, so no moving involved, thankfully. My Fall courses are ones I've taught before, but I'll use the summer to update them, as well as work on research collaborations.

I'm glad to see this forum continuing - thanks to those who made it happen!

polly_mer

polly_mer

Quote from: gw_hayduke on May 29, 2019, 08:03:30 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on May 29, 2019, 05:18:37 PM

It varies wildly between agencies and awards. For example, the Cottrell Scholar is a no go because this will be my 2nd TT position, but I will be eligible to submit an NSF CAREER (dream big!).

-gw

Good on you with NSF CAREER!

mamselle

I just put a note on the parallel thread in the CHE site to let them know this thread is up and running also.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bhiennsona

half_cadence

I will be starting a TT position this fall, after a good amount of time working in my field. We are in the process of selling our current home and searching for a new one--hoping all the stars align! I'm excited to start this new career chapter.

polly_mer

bhiennsona

mamselle

Quote from: half_cadence on June 09, 2019, 10:27:48 AM
I will be starting a TT position this fall, after a good amount of time working in my field. We are in the process of selling our current home and searching for a new one--hoping all the stars align! I'm excited to start this new career chapter.

There are a couple of threads on selling and buying houses, be sure to check them out!

Or maybe you already did and we're cross-posting.

Orange-orange!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.