News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spring Break 2024

Started by AmLitHist, March 11, 2024, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

Ours started today.

I've spent the morning cleaning out my closet and clothes chest, pulling out the off-season clothes in their vacuum bags from under the bed, and doing lots of sorting and laundry. I have 2 big garbage bags full to donate, and all the winter stuff is safely sealed up and put under the bed til fall. (Of course, this means we'll probably plunge back into winter next week.)

The rest of my week will be spent on spouse's medical appointments, buying groceries and household supplies, and spraying weed killer to get rid of the chickweed and creeping charlie.

Don't be jealous of my fabulously exciting life.  What are the rest of you doing this Spring Break?

clean

Spring Break Day 1 here too.
I slept in a bit (recovering from time change), and then went to the office.  I finished grading, so I am all caught up!
I came home and mowed the back yard!   I dont remember when I last mowed, but 'last year' is clearly correct!.   It was a bit of an effort!

Tomorrow i have some weeds to pull in the front yard. There are some weeds with seed pods. If I mow them then next year will be far worse.  By pulling them, I HOPE to take care of some of the problem. 

I have to go to the office tomorrow too. I have a paper I am working on and I need to get some final things done to be able to collect the data.

On campus they will have a Faculty/Staff Appreciation lunch. The lunch is sometimes ok, other times not good at all!  However, they often have some sort of drawing for various prizes, so it is somewhat entertaining and good to see some of hte staff in a happy time. 

On the GRAND PLAN option, we have an account at Costco, but we dont have one in town. The closest is 125 miles away.  (We have the account because Costco is a great travel agent... they refund us whatever fee they earn).  We have enough gift cards for new tires for My Bride's car.  So that may be the big event of the week!  A trip to nearby city for tires!  (Might stay overnight and go out to dinner too). 

Successfully avoided cleaning my home office, or around my living room chair that surely needs organizing!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sinenomine

Mine was last week, and I spent it with students on a trip overseas. A great experience for them and a fun one for me, but I wish I could take a break! I'll try to sneak out early for a few days.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

bio-nonymous

Our Spring Break was last week. I am on a 12 month contract so we do not have the time off, and my grad/med students don't either (the undergrads do of course). I did take a vacation day last week to catch up with work around the homestead, but feel like I could use an actual vacation about now!!!!

apl68

I haven't had a spring break since my grad school years in the 1990s.  I used to spend most of my spring breaks going home to visit, although I also went on a couple of spring break mission trips with undergrads.  One of them was my only trip to New York City ever. 

It's interesting to have to supervise a university library department that relies heavily on student workers during spring break.  The library may be open fewer hours, but you've also got a lot less help available!  Not an issue in the public library world, although if your staff includes parents of children who get out for K-12 spring break they may be asking for time off.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Sun_Worshiper

My spring break was last week. I graded, did a bit of class prep, and worked on a book chapter that needs to go to the editor this week. I also slept in, watched several films, enjoyed several glasses of wine, went for a long run (ouch), and did some work in the yard.

Overall, I feel fairly rejuvenated.

Antiphon1

I am mid-break and glad to be professionally uncommitted for a few days. I've done some semi-deep cleaning, watched movies, and read some books from my summer list. It's odd to be on a different break schedule than Mr. Anti and the Anti sons. It's alright, odd, just different.  I would rather be on my own for a few days. This may be a preview of retirement.  I could get used to this schedule.   

Parasaurolophus

You buggers. Ours was in mid-February. I'm just staring down the tunnel to my first summer off in years, and every little obstacle feels hella aggravating.
I know it's a genus.

Kron3007

Quote from: sinenomine on March 12, 2024, 04:21:36 AMMine was last week, and I spent it with students on a trip overseas. A great experience for them and a fun one for me, but I wish I could take a break! I'll try to sneak out early for a few days.

Me too.  I usually try to take some. Time off after getting back from trips like this, but all the other work backs up while you are away. 

My kids are on March break now, so I did manage to take a couple days off.

Kron3007

Quote from: bio-nonymous on March 12, 2024, 07:04:56 AMOur Spring Break was last week. I am on a 12 month contract so we do not have the time off, and my grad/med students don't either (the undergrads do of course). I did take a vacation day last week to catch up with work around the homestead, but feel like I could use an actual vacation about now!!!!

It is interesting to see the cultural differences on this.  I am fairly grad student heavy in a system that has low course requirements for the (mostly research).  As a result, my teaching load is fairly light and spring break means relatively little to me or my grad students.

I am also on a 12-month contract, so summers are lighter and more flexible, but really just allows me to shift me focus rather than being time off.