News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Plans 2021 (Whatchya gonna do?)

Started by clean, November 12, 2021, 12:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Just made a sandwich out of leftover fish sticks.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

hmaria1609

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on November 12, 2021, 08:40:40 PM
1.  What are your plans?
--Wished I could have done nothing, but now wife's long time friend is coming. To visit. Yes, it will be nice. Wish daughter could be here.

2.  What will YOU be cooking?
--I let the fingers do the walking and ordered the whole shebang from Stale Fields, baked and all, and fixings. Just reheat and eat. It was the smallest turkey I could find. The advertisement said for four people. I had wished for and sought out an eight pounder. Didn't find one. Let's see what "for four people" means.

3.  Have you started shopping yet for supplies?
--No eight pounders. Capitalism is failing. No, my fellow man is failing.

4.  Are the supplies sufficient (similar to last year) or are there shortages?
--Pay enough and get enough.

5.  IS it markedly more expensive (or do you remember)?
--I've never done this before. Would rather make a small turkey myself. I'm good at it. Wife is not convinced, though.

6.  How will THIS year's big day be different from Last Year (under full COVID warnings)?
--Less woik.  Not woke. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Well, you pay enough, it's good enough! This eight pounder was the best turkey we ever had. White meat moist, skin crispy, and all.

As a colleague once said about everything in America: The marginal cost of quality is high!

Well, it's only once a year.

Cheers to all!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Liquidambar

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 25, 2021, 11:04:06 AM
Our nontraditional menu includes Cameroonian chicken, Szechuan eggplant, and Jamaican banana cake, with some more traditional sides thrown in.

Oooh, do you have a recipe for the Szechuan eggplant?

We visited the in-laws.  I was afraid they'd get takeout, but they actually cooked a turkey.  I brought pies and some sides.  I made this Dutch apple pie recipe, which turned out really well.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Liquidambar on November 25, 2021, 08:06:38 PM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 25, 2021, 11:04:06 AM
Our nontraditional menu includes Cameroonian chicken, Szechuan eggplant, and Jamaican banana cake, with some more traditional sides thrown in.

Oooh, do you have a recipe for the Szechuan eggplant?

We visited the in-laws.  I was afraid they'd get takeout, but they actually cooked a turkey.  I brought pies and some sides.  I made this Dutch apple pie recipe, which turned out really well.

That apple pie looks delicious!

Unfortunately, the eggplant recipe was a flop, and I'm now trying to figure out how to doctor up the leftovers.

clean

What is the leftover situation? 
How many more days of post Thanksgiving feasting?

turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey goulash. turkey hash  (I dont remember all of the recipes listed in A Christmas Story after the Bumpass's dogs ate the turkey)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

Quote from: clean on November 26, 2021, 07:07:43 PM
What is the leftover situation? 
How many more days of post Thanksgiving feasting?

turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey goulash. turkey hash  (I dont remember all of the recipes listed in A Christmas Story after the Bumpass's dogs ate the turkey)

I have twice snacked on bits of surprisingly good turkey breast with gravy and stuffing today. I am up for more tomorrow.

Others in my present household are doing soup and threatening worse, and I did catch one picking on a turkey leg.  I ain't gonna eat the soup. If this stuff -- the good and the bad -- doesn't move forthwith, it's gonna have an accident! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Liquidambar

We'll have leftover turkey and gravy tomorrow, and I'll make mashed potatoes because somehow the in-laws didn't make any for dinner yesterday.  (Sacrilege!)  Plus I'll make some more cranberry sauce because there's never enough cranberry sauce.  After tomorrow, I'll freeze any remaining turkey to make a pot pie later.

The leftover dessert situation is problematic.  I might have to toss some since there's a lot more than I should eat.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Larimar

Leftover potatoes and green beans amandine for dinner last night, and there are still enough leftover cookies for a few more days. The peanut butter cookies were a hit, and the new spice cookie recipe we tried worked too!

mamselle

Turkey reubens are good...I do mine open-faced/sous-vide, but you can toast two nice, crispy slices of rye, if you like, too.

A singlet friend who likes to cook does a medium sized-bird, cooks down the carcass for soup broth to freeze, and makes several delicious casseroles, etc. with the meat as well.

I do believe she uses everything but the gobble...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

We have a glass container of leftover lamb slices in the fridge; mom saved the juice for cooking.

apl68

It all went well at our family's house.  A wild card was introduced just a couple of days before I got there.  A litter of abandoned kittens was discovered around town, and Dad ended up agreeing to take one of them.  Since he was too small to handle being outside over the cold nights, he has been living indoors.  He's very much a kitten--into and on top of everything and everyone, driving Mom and Dad's poor dog to distraction.  As of Sunday they seemed to be starting to learn how to get along.  I went home with scratch marks on my hand from the kitten jumping onto my hand and instinctively digging in when he felt himself slipping off.  It is will for kittens that they are so remarkably cute, because there's no way anybody would ever put up with them otherwise.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

lilyb

Brining the turkey was absolutely worth it! It came out more moist and flavorful than any turkey I've made.

Relatives refrained from political talk, perhaps because we had new non-family guest this year. Everyone was on their best behavior.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on November 29, 2021, 07:29:45 AM
It all went well at our family's house.  A wild card was introduced just a couple of days before I got there.  A litter of abandoned kittens was discovered around town, and Dad ended up agreeing to take one of them.  Since he was too small to handle being outside over the cold nights, he has been living indoors.  He's very much a kitten--into and on top of everything and everyone, driving Mom and Dad's poor dog to distraction.  As of Sunday they seemed to be starting to learn how to get along.  I went home with scratch marks on my hand from the kitten jumping onto my hand and instinctively digging in when he felt himself slipping off.  It is well for kittens that they are so remarkably cute, because there's no way anybody would ever put up with them otherwise.

Aww--kitten!

Come on over to the cat thread anytime you like!

;--}

M.