Main Menu

NYT: Harvard Plagiarism Really Attack on DEI

Started by Wahoo Redux, March 28, 2024, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

financeguy

Two things can be true at the same time. If it is the case the plagiarism has occurred but only uncovered due to an outside actor with a different agenda, what do you propose? Let it slide due to the method of discovery?

apl68

Quote from: financeguy on March 28, 2024, 09:11:21 AMTwo things can be true at the same time. If it is the case the plagiarism has occurred but only uncovered due to an outside actor with a different agenda, what do you propose? Let it slide due to the method of discovery?

Something almost nobody seems to want to remember anymore is that an unwelcome message from an unwelcome messenger can still be a valid message.  Although honestly, I don't know how many people ever really got that in the first place.  It's sad that this understanding seems to have become such an uncommon attitude within academia.  I thought that bearing things like that in mind was supposed to be one of the things that a good liberal (in the older, nonpartisan sense) education could teach us.  It's one of the most valuable lessons I recall learning from my student years.  It reinforced some things my parents had been trying to teach me.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: financeguy on March 28, 2024, 09:11:21 AMTwo things can be true at the same time. If it is the case the plagiarism has occurred but only uncovered due to an outside actor with a different agenda, what do you propose? Let it slide due to the method of discovery?

It's like a child custody case, where one parent accuses the other of child abuse. There's a clear self-interested motivation for the accuser, but if it turns out to be true, then it absolutely needs to be addressed.
It takes so little to be above average.

Sun_Worshiper

This is the bottom line.

Yes, there are bad faith actors at the root of this, but the plagiarism is a problem that merits some degree of sanctioning nevertheless.