NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Congrats on your two-fer, cathwen.

Slightly above genius and a two-fer.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, I think I broke my brain on LB yesterday.  Crazy not to get a solution! I had so many good contenders! Argh.  I think skip was one I went back to later in the evening after seeing ciao_yall's note about the solution being unbalanced, but to no avail.

Today's bee is going very slowly.  Just past genius (147) but no pangram yet.  Husband got it, so I will try again later after some sudokus and a look at today's LB.  Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen and Langue_doc! Hopefully that bodes well for a 2fer for me, but who knows.

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer on my first contender! Whee! A nice balance to yesterday's puzzle.

Parasaurolophus

I also just passed genius (149) but without the pangram.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Genius already, just started playing with LB.

Yesterday, one would think with all the versions of polyamorous, paramours, etc somehow pulmonary would have popped out... alas, did not. Oh well.

cathwen

I agree, ciao_yall!  I had polynomial(s), propulsion, and pluralism, but for some reason, pulmonary escaped me.  Oh well!

I've gotten to 160 on SB, so still not Beta, and I'm now stymied.  I am annoyed that SB is rejecting a nice Italian red wine. 

ab_grp

The pangram just did not pop out at me for a while, but I've got it now.  Not at Alpha yet, 182. 

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram, plus 2fer!

Papers downloaded and rubric set up. Now to start grading...

ciao_yall

SB: 43/51 words, 163/208 78% so just short of Beta. A few odd words but nothing too surprising.

Langue_doc

193 points, but crosswords are done.

Took the quiz for one of my birding courses and failed. I can retake it, but am thoroughly demoralized.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Amazing with one pangram. Missed banc, barbacoa, bronc, and noob.

LB projection/nobly

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning! 

I had the same solution for yesterday's LB as Langue_doc (projection-nobly).And I have a 2fer today as well.

SB:  Yesterday I missed barbacoa, bronc, carbonara, and carob..

Today, I am also at amazing with the pangram, but 27 points to go until genius! I'll be lucky to get there, never mind Beta, Alpha, and QB.

ciao_yall

SB - missed banc (didn't know that was an English word). The rest were ones I probably should have gotten as well - bloc, bronc, bronco, carbonara, rollbar. I was surprised it took barbacoa but was quite proud of that.

At genius this morning with pangram.

LB - also got projection-nobly. Great minds think alike! Well, I'm still at a tight 3fer so maybe I shall aspire to be as great minded as you are with your 2fers soon.

cathwen

Finally got to genius.  Oof!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I also got the same LB solution.  It seemed so obvious, and it sounds like we all got the same one, that I was surprised to find that it was not the official solution.  Hopefully I will have good luck again today with it.  Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen!

I also missed carbonara yesterday.  I think husband gave me that one and bronco? I gave him a couple, and we both missed bronc! I went to undergrad for a while at a school with that as the mascot.  Argh.   It took me forever to find cornball.

Today I'm at 182, so not Alpha yet.  Positive thinking!

Hope you are feeling less demoralized this morning, Langue_doc, and that the retake goes well.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got to 190, still not Alpha, though husband is there.  I have not seen any new words the past couple times I've taken a look.

But I did get a 2fer!