News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I hope you have a splendid visit and week, cathwen! And congrats on your LB yesterday!

Langue_doc

Quote from: cathwen on April 20, 2021, 08:36:26 AM

Ab_grp, congratulations on QB already on today's SB!  And what a relief that your daughter is now vaccinated.

My daughter, son-in-law, and grandson (age 12) are arriving today.  All except grandson are vaccinated, but because of him, we'll be doing mostly outdoor stuff.  Walks in parks.  Mini-golf.  That sort of thing.  I haven't seen my daughter and grandson since August (they came down when both our states were at very low infection rates) and I haven't seen my son-in-law since Thanksgiving 2019.  Therefore, I will not be spending much time on puzzles this week!

Seconding ab_grp's wishes for a lovely visit with your family. Not seeing one's family for such a long time must be very difficult. I hope that the pandemic subsides soon so that we can all resume spending time with family and friends.

QB! LB is last on my list of priorities for the puzzles--vertex takes precedence, so gets completed before I even look at LB.

ciao_yall

Fun on the visits! We are having our first dinner party in ages this coming Saturday. I am so nervous.

Slow start this morning so amazing with pangram; 2fer b4ss.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc!

I hope your dinner party is fun, ciao_yall! I feel like it's going to take me a while to get back into group social activities, but I do miss them.

Still no luck from my few LB contenders.

ciao_yall

Nowhere with LB. And I went to the online solver - guess what? None there, either! There are 3fer solutions, but who cares?

So now I don't feel so bad and am very proud of my b4ss solution.

cathwen

Just checking in quickly to say that although I did have time to work on LB, I could not find a solution.  Having I and C on the same side is extremely annoying,  also E on the same side as U, which blocks -QUE words. 

Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc!

And thank you all for the good wishes for the visit!  We are having such a good time! 

Langue_doc

My sentiments exactly, cathwen. As I recall there were three vowels on the same side.

Hope you have a fun dinner party, ciao_yall.

Parasaurolophus

I have fallen four short of genius, I'm afraid.

Also, yesterday it rejected 'gaily'.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius with one pangram.
Sorry to hear that you missed genius, Parasaurolophus.

Ragequit shows up as a compound, so there, NYT LB.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got the schmofficial solution last night just before bed after much trying.  I had boxcar-requite as the closest thing I could get for so long, but what about the stupid G? Maybe rage drove me to try ragequit, but when it worked I was pretty happy. 

Today I'm one word away from QB, again.  But it's early, so we'll see.

I also tried gaily the other day, Parasaurolophus.  I don't understand why it doesn't take some words.  Good luck today!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Already at genius with one pangram.

LB yesterday I had a 2fer b4ss quixotic-cribbage and just barely getting started this morning. Have two 3fers (each with a plug.) Impressed with the legit 2fer, ab_grp!

Local fancy meat store isn't carrying veal right now so I have to rethink my dinner party concept. First world problems, I know...

ab_grp

I was also hoping for quixotic, ciao_yall! Could use up the Q and X together.  Dumb b4ss.  And thanks! I hope your 3fers and plugs transform into a 2fer! First world problem or not, I am sure you will envision a wonderful new meal.  What were you going to do with the veal?

ciao_yall

Now I have a 2fer b4ss, so hopefully I'm getting warm. A few good J words but no matches yet.

I was going to roast it with lemon, capers and parseley. The butcher suggested lamb instead, or maybe pork. I dunno.

ab_grp

I have what seems like a really good contender but can't figure out what to do with the remaining few letters.  I have another that would complete a solution with it, but I can't connect them (yet?).

Finally figured out my final word and got to QB.  I wasn't sure it was a word but kept trying to do things with words like it.

The veal dish sounds really good.  Actually the combo kind of reminds me of something like a piccata sauce, which is maybe what you were planning.  Could just do chicken with it? But if you want lamb dishes, I know a few of us here are fans and might have some recipes for you.  Same with pork.

Langue_doc

From the NYTimes Food email entitled "How to Feel Better" courtesy of Sam Sifton:

"Or you could cook off my simple prompt, what we call a no-recipe recipe, and riff your way to dinner, the culinary equivalent of playing Spelling Bee."

Haven't made much progress as I have to review my readings for the book discussion later today.

I've found interesting recipes for lamb in the NYTimes.

Congrats on the QB, ab_grp.