Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on May 18, 2021, 08:02:33 AM
QB and a 2fer! 

The 2fer isn't very "economical" in terms of letters used—two long words.  I'll try for a more efficient one if I have time later.  But it's a 2fer, so I'm happy.

It counts!

Genius with pangram, and ETA: plenty of 3fers so far. wild guess at a 2fer which worked. Yay.

Will I achieve QBAM? We shall see.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got to Alpha today, only two words left.  We'll see! Yesterday we missed clayey, which I agree... what!?! I tried to sort of hint about it in case anyone was missing that one as well.  I really think I thought of that word but just didn't spell it right because it just looks odd, and even knowing it was a 6-letter CL did not end up getting us to the finish line.  I was lucky to pick up abbacy earlier on since I missed that a bit ago.  Congrats on getting to QB, Langue_doc!

For LB, I got brackish-histrionism.  A strange one, but it was accepted.  Sounds like a number of different solutions again yesterday! And congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall! I'll go look at that shortly and hope that I also find success.  It sounds as if your solutions might be different ones!

Ciao_yall, they are usually fairly careful to avoid spoilers in the FB group, but sometimes it does happen, and I don't particularly find that group very interesting or helpful.  It's nice to have what seems like another resource, but I prefer our discussions here.  I do like reading some of the commentary on words that weren't accepted or words that people find offensive, as I have learned some things.   Good luck on the QBABY!

Thank you, Parasaurolophus! He is getting better day by day, slowly, but seemingly surely.  Looking forward to sleeping more normally again at some point!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got to QB! I think they have all been in the puzzle before or are familiar words.  Couple seemingly good LB contenders, but nothing yet...

Langue_doc

Congrats on all the victories.

clayey is a familiar word, going back to one of my high school classes where we learned about clayey soils. I also remembered to try yech and yecch as I had missed one of them on an earlier puzzle.

QB and two twofers.

ab_grp

Wow, congrats on the QB and two 2fers, Langue_doc! And clayey makes sense but is just weird, in my opinion.  I am glad that you weren't tripped up by it, though.

I got one 2fer that seems legit, not especially balanced but doesn't reuse too many letters so could be schmofficial.  I'll try to find a more interesting one.  I found a few contenders after my 2fer and have a bunch of others to work with. 

ciao_yall

SB - went to the shunn site and missing a few odd words. Probably bee specials. So getting there...

LB - another 2fer. Yay.

Okay, back to grading final papers. Woot.

ab_grp

Good luck on your final bee words, ciao_yall, and congrats on your 2fer! Good luck with grading, too.

I got two more 2fers, but they are somewhat related (not same words, but same vibe), so I'll say 2.75 total.  I like one part of one a lot.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Almost genius; my first word was the pangram. Two-fer already.

moustache/evil and vouches/stimulate

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

All those multiple LBs from yesterday!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you all got.  As for me, I started off with mathematical-lascivious, then found volumes-schematic, which is less repetitious.  Langue_doc, your posting came in just as I was about to post—your answers are are very different!  I wonder how many variations there are this time?

I have a 2fer for today. 

As for SB, I am at genius with the pangram, and having trouble believing that there are really 200 points in this puzzle.  But I bet that Langue_doc and ab_grp will find them!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - new word arco and missed a few bee specials auroral and corolla. Am getting there! May at least achieve QBwS (Queen Bee with Shunn) someday.

So far I don't mind the accidental trigger/hint from the FB group because I can get to genius pretty easily on my own, and it's fun to trade kvetches with that crowd. If it ever tips me into QB it might be another conversation. QBwFB?

LB - volumes-schematic and mouches-salivate. Looks like the schmofficial solution was a bit unbalanced so maybe ab_grp had it?

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Yep, I got the schmofficial solution as my first one, cumulative-ethos.  It seemed too pretty to not be schmofficial.  Later, I got ovulum-mathematics and ovlues-schematic.  I kept trying with volume for a while early on but abandoned it.  I'm glad we got so many different solutions again! Congrats on already getting 2fers today, Langue_doc and cathwen!

Not quite at Alpha today (176).  Definitely some words that are a little tough to find, though not unheard of.  But I have a couple left and no idea right now.  There was one I was surprised was accepted and a couple that I was surprised weren't in there.  Thanks for the confidence, cathwen.  I guess we shall see.  Good luck all around!

I remembered corolla because it's been in the crossword before and I hadn't realized at that time that it was anything other than a car.  Remembered arco from kids playing stringed instruments.  I think my final word was caul, but corolla and callaloo (sadly) were definitely at the end.

Happy solving!

cathwen

QB and a second 2fer.

Lots of LB answers for yesterday!

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB and two 2fers, cathwen! I don't know if Langue_doc also got to QB, but you got there yourself!!

Husband had to go on site today despite still recovering (though today he is somewhere around 85% I would say), so we had to cut our bee time short.  We both got to Alpha with the same words left and eventually got to an impure team QB with the help of Shunn.

I got one 2fer earlier, but now I will look for another! Mine is pretty clean, so it may be schmofficial.

Langue_doc

No progress as I had to prepare for a book discussion. Now I'm clearing my brain by rereading a Sherlock Holmes novel. I don't even have the energy for the crosswords.

ciao_yall

Genius but ran out of steam. Shunn was a bit of help but not gonna get there.

Messy 2fer but I'll keep it.

Back to grading.