News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Woohoo, ab_grp!

My accomplishments are scheduling and rescheduling medical appointments and reviewing my notes for the book discussion this evening.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! And that agenda doesn't sound like so much fun for you, unfortunately (except maybe book discussion note review?).

I also managed to get a 2fer but may try for another.

cathwen

Congratulations, ab_grp, on making QB! 

I just got to QB also, but with Shunn support for the last few words. 

Now to figure out what to make for dinner!

Langue_doc

QB earlier this afternoon. Don't know if either of the pangrams is a real word as I hadn't seen them in print before. But both were accepted, so there! Most of the other words are familiar ones from previous puzzles.

ab_grp, the book groups are "serious" discussions where you have to include chapter and verse instead of just shooting from the hip. If the discussants haven't read the work, they can listen, but not participate. I like these groups and also the selections, so reviewing the notes isn't onerous as I've read and reread today's selection several times over the years. It's just that one has to provide the context such as chapter, section, or page number so that the other participants can follow along.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, cathwen! If I didn't have a bee partner who had some of the words I needed and could share first letters, I probably would have ended up going to Shunn for the same thing.   And I can't believe how long it took me to find the first pangram, let alone the second.  Just seemed difficult today.  And have fun with dinner planning.  I think our current plan is baked potatoes with chili on them, which I have never had but husband enthuses about.  We made chili yesterday because youngest loves it, so I guess it will be an easy but kind of weird dinner.  I'm sure it will taste good.

On preview: congrats on your QB too, Langue_doc! Yeah, the pangrams were not very normal today.  It sounds like a rigorous discussion effort.  Does the group choose a particular part of a work for discussion each week, and then folks plan to do the work you're doing to prepare (and then don't if they haven't prepared), or do a particular subset of group members get assigned the piece, or someone has to lead the discussion? It sounds very intellectual.  If you don't mind saying more about it, such as how you found your way into this or what kinds of texts you read, I'd be interested to hear (but obviously understand if you can't or would rather not).

Langue_doc

ab_grp, will send PM later tonight or tomorrow morning.

ciao_yall

Just into genius, no pangram, and you say there are two? Already needed a few "bee specials"

Did I mention I did get a quick 2fer? I'll hit shunn to see what happens.

ETA: Shunn, 2-letter list and finally Wordplay definitions. QB. Never would have gotten there on my own. A few headsmackers and a few new words.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

It's a slog today, but found a pangram and made it to genius.

diligence/emulation--relieved that I didn't have the same solution as the NYT. Easy two-fer today!

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I am also at genius with one pangram; apparently, there are two. 

Yesterday I found unicolor by just playing around—I didn't think it was really a word—but lo and behold, it was one of the pangrams.  I also found inurn almost by accident. 

Langue_doc, I also feel a little disappointed when I get the same LB solution as the NYTimes, but it looks as though yesterday's puzzle is already yielding a good bit of variation.  I had cudgel-lamentation, then later found mucilage-endnote.  (I usually don't try for two solutions, but I had a period of dead time later in the afternoon, so...). That makes four different solutions so far, including the "official" one!  I wonder if there are others?

Langue_doc

cathwen, I didn't think that unicolor was a word either. I was also surprised to see councilor, which I don't think I'd ever seen in print.

Thanks for the information about the second pangram.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got a slightly different solution than one of cathwen's: cudgel-legitimation (didn't really think the second word, which I found first, was a real word... but it worked).  Congrats on getting 2, cathwen, and yes, it's great that so far all are different solutions from the schmofficial one!

The pangrams seemed really tough to get yesterday.  Councilor is the one that took me longer to find, and then I almost overlooked council.  Today I'm at 245 with three words left.  Still have a 4-letter left to find! Argh.  It was helpful to know there were two pangrams.   Prefix/suffix stuff trying and beekeeping seems fairly key today so far.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB: councillor is more of a British word than American English but okay. The Wordplay blog hinted unicolor as the color of the quarantine flag and I couldn't figure out how to get "yellow and black" out of the letters!

This morning, pangram and amazing genius so far.

LB: mudge-elicitation. Didn't think mudge would take but oh well.

3fers already so hope a 2fer comes soon and a messy 2fer. I started a letterboxed thread on the NYT Spelling Bee Board so jump in!

cathwen

So now we have six (count'em, six!) different answers for LB.  Cool!

I forgot to add earlier that I have a 2fer today.  I wonder how many different 2fers we'll collectively come up with?  Ciao_yall, "messy" 2fers count! 

As for SB, I'm at QB-3.  Thanks to Shunn, I know which letters the final three begin with.  But I just can't find them!  I did, however, find the second pangram.

ab_grp

Yay for more LB solutions! And congrats on the 2fers, ciao_yall and cathwen!

I finally made it to QB with Shunn's help and some from my husband.  Back to dragging today and looking forward to a break from this harried routine.  Ugh.  I do have a couple LB contenders but haven't made them fit together yet.  I have a call coming up and need to fit a lot of stuff in between now and then but will try to check the LB thread out later!

cathwen

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp!  I am now at QB-2 and struggling, even with Shunn.