News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Learned a few new words yesterday pleb (alternate spelling to plebe,) allocable (always thought it was allocatable,) and appellee to get to QB.

LB - Had a 3fer clawed-debit-topaz so with a hint from the Wordplay blog got capitalize-elbowed.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to GN4L again after some trying.  I think that might help me, since 4-letters seem to be my comfort zone.  We'll see if it works out.  Crossword took a while, so we haven't had that much time on the bee.

I got the same 2fer.  Langue_doc, you are on fire! And cathwen is exactly the person to channel! I will channel both of you and OneMoreYear.  Congrats on all your 2fers today!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

2fer as well - cathwen's aura is strong today!

Meanwhile, no pangram yet. ab_grp I always start off thinking I'll go for GN4L but then I forget and plonk one in.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! I will be channeling you now, too! I have a couple reasonably good contenders but get lazy about figuring out if the remaining letters make any words if they don't immediately come to me, and then I just go off in search of other contenders.

We each got to impure QB with help from Shunn for the final few.  I think we probably had team QB before that, at least.  It is hard sometimes to remember not to put any 4s in.  Like I said, that is my comfort zone, so I automatically start going for them, but it's kind of fun to have the challenge.  I'm sure there will be days when it isn't that fun!

ETA: Got a 2fer! Maybe this channeling thing works...

Langue_doc

QB -- all familiar words r words I've seen in other bees with one exception which I found by typing random combinations. Ciao_yall, did you see any familiar words? ab_grp, I get hung up on certain words as happened the other day when I kept trying to find a mate for chintzy. Congrats all!

Just finished the crossword. It took me a long time to correct a mistyped letter.

ab_grp

Langue_doc, congrats on QB!! For LB, when it's a really, really good contender, or at least one that seems as though it's GOT to be part of the solution (like chintzy!), I don't like letting go of it to look around for other possibilities, either.  But when the contender just seems okay and doesn't automatically lead to a solution, I tend to abandon it and figure it's probably not part of the solution (though it sometimes is, unfortunately).  I just think I have a bee mind more than an LB mind.  One thing I might try to start to do is just disregard the letter arrangement and treat it like the bee... just try to think of all the words I can find from the letters and see if they work. 

Also, glad you found your crossword typo! I had one particular crossing area at which I wasn't quite sure what should be in that cell for across or down, but I had guessed the right letter and actually had something else wrong!  Looking at it in the list format rather than in the grid really helps me with typos, especially ones that can be legitimate words.  I almost volunteered to test solve a crossword for Ross Trudeau yesterday but got nervous and didn't to it (as usual).  Maybe next time.

ciao_yall

Missing an AC and an AM, and not much help from the Wordplay blog. So... the streak ends.

ETA: Read the dictionary. Reminded of one word and learned a new one. BOOYAH!

Did get two quick 2fers this morning.

Parasaurolophus

I'm a little short on the Bee, but found a weird 2fer.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and above genius.

ciao_yall, yesterday's bee contained your name in its entirety.

frequencies/sharp

ab_grp, next time, do agree to test solve crosswords--you can do it!

I have to watch the clock today and have my fingers ready to sign up at exactly 9 AM for some outings for the next couple of months.

Happy solving, all!

onthefringe

My 2fer yesterday took a while and was weird. Trust me nit to see normal words and end up with picaresque-enfranchise. but they took it, so... looking forward to other solutions.

happy solving to everyone.

OneMoreYear

onthefringe, I also had picaresque/enfranchise yesterday! My immediate thought with the letters was to play around with "esque" words. I definitely did not see frequencies.

I'm not playing today, though I glanced at the puzzles, as I'm in a grading binge, but look forward to seeing solutions and hearing about successes. 

Happy solving, all.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - After few reminders on Wordplay (including ciao, gah) I was still 2 words short. Tried amyl which, for some reason, lives in my brain as a prefix, and then... yes, read the dictionary until I found a new word: acyclic. Boom.

LB - frequencies-shape, franchise-equip. Very creative, onthefringe! Funny what words will jump out.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I've got 2 more words to QB today but am running out of ideas, so hopefully next time something will occur to me.  That's kind of funny about ciao, ciao_yall! Just a tough word to see sometimes.

Also had franchise-equip yesterday.  Definitely some creative solutions!

Thanks for the encouragement, Langue_doc! I did regret not throwing my hat in the ring, but I've never done it before and am not sure what they are looking for.  I guess there's only one way to find out.  And I hope you had good luck getting your outings scheduled!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius with 2 pangrams and a 2fer. Since I always seem to learn new words with each Bee, not sure I'll achieve QBABM. Still, each time I look at the screen I find another word... and each time I look at Shunn or the wordplay blog another word pops out that I forgot.

So my little brain is stretching.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Lots of variation for yesterday's LB!  I had frequencies-sharp

Yesterday I was out all afternoon, so when I got back  I resorted to Shunn and Wordplay to get to QBWATHICG, I'm afraid.  Amyl and acyclic were my last words. 

Today I am at Beta with all three pangrams.  I do not yet have a 2fer for LB, so congratulations on yours, ciao_yall!

Happy puzzling!