News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning! 

Genius with both pangrams so far.  It's another sloggy one today.

Yesterday, with help from Shunn, I made QB—my last words were infill and leftie.

I did not find a 2fer yesterday, so congratulations to those who did!  I haven't found one yet today, either.  I did find a good 3fer, but no 2fers so far.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I was struggling a bit on the bee, but my Olympics of the Mind nemeses were in there (a proper name, not a word), so that got some of the old competitive juices flowing.  Now I have 5 more words to go and got both pangrams, though the second took a bit.  Managed to get GN4L again.  It's kind of nice because then once I reach genius I can just throw in a bunch more words pretty easily.  I now try the GN4L, then try to get all the 4 letter words, then carry on.  Definitely stuck a bit at this point.  Yesterday I was missing eclectic until I got the first letter hint from husband.  I kept thinking electric and trying electic.  Who knows.

I also got dahlia-ambulatory finally yesterday after trying to work with the latter a lot because it used up a lot of tough letters.  I don't think I came near the schmofficial solution in my travels.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB WATHICG and a tiny nudge from the Hivemind for LB. One had a strange transition. The other looks pretty clear but I haven't figured it out yet.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius; QB yesterday.

The dog days of summer are coming to an end, alas!

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - last few words which I had forgotten were coact, coactor, outro, toccata, toro. Plus a few others I had overlooked.

LB - gecko-omnivorous with a hint. Tricky with the o as transition! I had a 2fer b4ss nervous-smocking and several variations of a this 3fer gin-nervous-smock. Short word to use up the g, a nice v word, and smock.

Anyway, onward to today's!

ETA: GN4L!

ETA^2: Found a nice juicy word that uses up almost all the letters. ETA^3: Made a pretty tight 3fer out of it. 2fer!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday, albeit with help from Shunn and a definition from Wordplay.  Infill, rotatory, actuator, and outro were my last words.

Today I'm at Beta with the pangram.  I do not see QBABM in my future, as I am out of ideas.  Ciao_yall, congratulations on GN4L!  I have yet to try that. 

LB:  I also got gecko-omnivorous after many attempts.  Today, though, I found a 2fer relatively quickly.  Well, more quickly than yesterday.

Ah yes, the dog days of August...we're cramming in a few days away next week, then a visit from Middle Daughter and Grandson the week after.  Then we'll crash back to Earth with the start of school for all of us September 1 (Middle Daughter teaches high school English). 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Still 2 words left to QB today, but I got the GN4L.  Congrats on giving it a try and succeeding, ciao_yall!

That LB was hard yesterday! So many contenders, but no luck.  Congrats on your 2fers today, ciao_yall and cathwen!

Hope everyone gets to enjoy some fun plans before the summer ends.  Sounds as though you have some things to look forward to, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Had to get Shunn help with the final two words.  Ugh! But I remembered that yesterday some of my final ones that I needed help with her tryout, trout.  Not sure why I didn't see them.

But I did get a 2fer!

ciao_yall

QB WATHICG - 2 words I needed definitions for. One has a different spelling in my brain, the other makes sense as a word but I didn't know it was a word.

cathwen

Also QBWATHICG.  Got to QB-4, then turned to Shunn, then Wordplay for a definition for my last word.  Argh!  And even then, I did not get it immediately.  Echoing ciao_yall's "makes sense as a word but I didn't know it was a word."

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius, but that's it for me today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

QB. I think I know the word cathwen and ciao_yall are talking about--I could be mistaken but found the word because I was thinking of a song unrelated to any of the words in the puzzle.

Crosswords are probably out, so that takes precedence over LB.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and above 200 points so far.

Off to a medical appointment--hope people are wearing masks in the subway. When I've gone to this practice in the past, I would just stroll a few blocks, cross Fifth Ave, and spend time at the MET. We have a heat advisory today, besides you need to schedule appointments for museums and other cultural institutions, so it's back home after that. A good three-hour round trip.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Last two words were gangland (wasn't everyone's?) and ladling which seems it would want to have an "e" in it.

LB - owl-lumberjack did anyone get anything else? And did anyone else get a Monty Python earworm as a result?

Going for GN4L and still at Amazing with one two pangrams. And a 3fer. But I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I am also at amazing with two pangrams.  I had intended to go for GN4L, but forgot, so I have a lot of 4Ls. 

Yesterday gangland was also my last word, and ladling was not far behind.  Nada also came late—but I should have gotten that earlier. 

As for LB, I also got owl-lumberjack, and for some reason found that fairly quickly. But today is another story—I'm still struggling to find that 2fer!  Yes, I did get the Monty Python earworm!

This might not be my best puzzle day. 

Langue_doc, I hope the appointment goes well, and that people are wearing masks on the subway (and elsewhere).

Happy puzzling!