News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

cathwen I hear ya. I'm still at Amazing N4L with 2 pangrams. I could go for GOTN (Genius On The Nose) with a few 4 letter words but at this point, where's the fun in that?

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have 4 more words today and am not yet to Alpha but got to GN4L and have the two pangrams.  Gangland was also my final word yesterday!

Also got the schmofficial solution plus earworm yesterday.  And enjoyed picturing an owl in a lumberjack outfit.  Sounds tough today again!

Good luck with your appointment, Langue_doc, and I hope you have travels that are not stressful and that people are wearing their masks!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Well, I was wrong.  I had 5 words left to QB, but now I am down to 2 and finally made it to Alpha.  Husband is really struggling today, having just gotten to genius not too long ago, but he has both pangrams.  It is a tough puzzle.  Haven't compared or gone to Shunn yet, but I suspect we are on our way toward those options.

ciao_yall

I'm at 228 points, 52 words and 2 pangrams. So yeah, I think Shunn is nigh.

Did get a 2fer though.

ciao_yall

Checked Shunn. A few words I thought I had, still stuck on two that I can't even get playing with numbers.

ETA: QB. Gah

Langue_doc

QB earlier this afternoon--all familiar words. Two-fer after a dry spell.

I found gangland because I was thinking of Graceland, the song. The local media though describe crime and murders which are aplenty as gang-related rather than gangland or gangland related.

There were unmasked people in the subway despite the signs in the subway stations that require all riders to wear masks regardless of their vaccination status. Several young people of different ethnicities except Asian, and also older people who should know better. The reception area had a sign warning people that anyone who was seen without a mask would be asked to leave. There was an older woman with her nose exposed. When it was her turn to be called in the medical personnel motioned for her to pull her mask up over her nose. I did have to dodge bicyclists and electric scooters on the sidewalks.

cathwen, the rest of your summer sounds lovely. Hope you have good weather during your visits.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QBs and 2fers, ciao_yall and Langue_doc!

Husband has been at work all day, so we haven't worked on the bee more but hope to soon once he finishes emails.  Gave me a chance to write out bills to services that still do not do online payment.  Ugh! Maybe the words will come to me easily now.  Ha.  As for LB, I have a bunch of fair contenders but no mate yet so will keep at it.

Langue_doc, it's a shame to hear that so many are defying the requirements, especially with all the bad news coming out about community spread and increasing cases.  I scrolled through the back-to-school pics for schools in our area, and many students did not have their masks on correctly.  But, this has happened before with seemingly no backlash for folks being caught on camera in these same situations.  And bicyclists should not be on the sidewalks! Speaking of which, when husband was driving home the other day there was some dude bicycling toward him with a case of beer on the handle bars of the bike.  That is asking for trouble for a number of reasons.  My dad was very into bike rules.  ;-)  Anyway, I hope the rest of your trip was better.

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on the QBs and 2fers!

Yesterday was a Bad Puzzle Day for me. I was at QB-3 and no 2fer or LB.  Looking at the words I missed on SB, they were all words I knew and should have gotten:  doodad, initiation, nonillion.  LB utterly confounded me! 

Today is better, at least for LB—I have found a 2fer.  SB stands at QB-4 with the pangram.  We'll see how far I get!

Langue_doc, seeing so many unmasked people must have been upsetting, even though you are vaccinated and were masked.  Ugh!

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - last two words were anon, annotation. Maybe I could have gotten them on my own without definitions, but I was ready to finish.

LB - lump-profanity.

Today's SB looks tricky with that I in the middle. Thought about trying again for GN4L but wasn't getting anywhere so not today. 3fer already on LB which I'm learning doesn't mean much!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Past genius with the pangram, which was rather tricky.

lump/profanity

Sorry to hear about your bad puzzle day, cathwen. Once I found nonillion, I started looking for bee words such as doodad.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I am trying for GN4L today again, but it's hard with so many 4 letter words.  And I don't have the pangram, so no pangram and not at genius yet... and unusual feeling after our morning coffee.  We'll see how it goes, but having only three non-4s including the pangram left... I have to get at least the pangram and one of them to get to genius without the 4s.  We eventually ran out of time last night and had to look at Shunn.  I needed help with lanolin, ditto, which I usually get.

No luck on LB and not even close to the solution despite a huge ton of contenders.  Hopefully today will be better.  Congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

2fer... but LB is a slog. No pangram yet.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, ciao_yall!

I also got a 2fer! And I did finally find the pangram, but I am one point to genius and still not trying to use any 4s.  But there are only two words left that are not 4s.  I feel like I've tried everything.  I do know how long they are, but that's it at the moment.  But husband is working at home today, so we have a little more time to work at it.

ciao_yall

Impressive, ab_grp!

I'm mostly 4 Ls on LB and no pangram yet, still at Amazing. I try not to hit Shunn until I'm at GWP. Maybe the lightbulb will go off? (I keep seeing illuminate when looking at the hive.)

Langue_doc

Anatomy, ab_grp, anatomy.