News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far. There's probably another pangram lurking somewhere given the number of words/points.

QB yesterday.

ab_grp, I hear you about the if-this-then-that in one's head. That's how I deal with LB, and often give up instead of writing down the possibilities.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - needed Wordplay definitions to remember a few "bee specials" pipit, tippet and a few reminders.

LB - wings-subculture with help from the Wordplay blog. I had a number of b4ss solutions tubules-screwing, clubs-strewing, cubes-sweltering but was not coming together.

Not started yet, and first day of Zoom class. Ugh.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Tippit was my last word yesterday, the one I had to go to Shunn for.  It's now on my list of Bee words.

Today I am at genius with the pangram.  Langue_doc, nytbee.com shows only one pangram, 169 points maximum.  I'm fairly sure that a Shunn consultation is in my future, but I'm holding off for now.

I also got wings-subculture yesterday.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Ciao_yall, best wishes for a good first class of the semester! 

Ab_grp, we did enjoy the movie.  I suppose that there are things that one could criticize, but mainly we really enjoyed hearing Aretha's music.  During the credits, we see Aretha herself (not Jennifer Hudson) singing "Natural Woman" at the Kennedy Center, with the Obamas and Carole King looking on.  All I can say is:  Wow.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Major spoiler idiot on Facebook today. I'd drop out of the group but usually those people are a lot of fun. Anyway, messed up my quest for GN4L but I do have the pangram and a 3fer.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Just one more word to QB! And I did get the GN4L, though I was skeptical because there are so many 4-letters.  Still, it was mathematically possible, and fortunately it worked out.  I think husband is also down to just two words or so.  Good luck! And that is really annoying about the FB group, ciao_yall! I generally avoid it for that reason.  What people don't think is a spoiler... huh?! Those same bee words mentioned for yesterday got me for a long time, too.  My final word was teletext, though.  Tele- words are not my friends, it seems.

Wow, LB congrats on the solution yesterday, cathwen! Lots of contenders and no luck for me.  And congrats on already getting one today!

Also, cathwen, I'm glad to hear that the movie was enjoyable even if not perfect.  I get chills thinking of Aretha's singing.  She had some pipes! And I love when they show the real footage.

Ciao_yall, good luck with your first Zoom class!

Langue_doc, I don't think I would have a shot in heck if I tried LB without writing down contenders.  If it occurs to me right away (really small chance of that), it works out, but otherwise I also give myself points for finding as many good contenders as I can, since solutions often don't come to me at all.  ;-) 

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Due to the workday time limits, we ended up comparing first letters since we each had just one word left.  It turned out that they started with the same first letter, so we narrowed it down by lengths and ended up finally figuring out what we were missing.  Mine was one that I often miss.  His was one he often finds.  I guess we had a team QB, at least.

Haven't tried LB yet and have to do medium and hard sudokus, but at least the bee is out of the way!

ab_grp

Found a 2fer after a couple contenders.  I happened on one that left remaining letters that made it pretty obvious what the key word seemed to be.  When it pops out, it sure pops out sometimes.

ciao_yall

Gah. Final QB word was one I should have gotten on my own. LB - ditto. Was sooooooo close!

Parasaurolophus

Genius and two pangrams.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

I got to QB yesterday, with some help from Shunn.  My last word was gelée, which I have gotten before.  Ollie was next to last. 

Today I am at Beta with both pangrams. 

As for LB, I found the "official" solution:  xylophone-embroils.  I have not yet found a 2fer today.  What an arrangement of letters, though!  It's a toughie.

Congratulations on all of yesterday's successes, and happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Last word, WATHICG was... liege. Gah, I usually get that one.

LB - I had xylophone- and could not find a mate! -embril? Finally got a hint. Not sure where my brain was to not see -embroil. Gah. Plenty of 3fers xylophone-emir-rib, xylophone-embryo-oil, homophone-elixir-ribeye.

Well, today is another day...

OneMoreYear

Quick 2-fer for today. Won't get to SB, as I'm transitioning into an all day meeting, but happy got some puzzling in.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB yesterday.

Schmofficial solution for LB.

Late start today, so am still at amazing.

Happy solving all!

ETA easy twofer!

ciao_yall

Going for GN4L. I believe it should always be mathematically possible since 4 letter words are worth only 1 point, while 5 letter words are worth 5 points, and pangrams get a bonus.

Quick 2fer with a word I thought was made up but it took.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I messed up and put a 4-letter in but did get to Genius + 1 with only that one, so I might sort of count it as GN4L.  Ugh.  Still 8 words to QB, but I do have the pangrams.  We are both struggling today.  Ollie was my final word.  Not sure why I keep missing that one.

Also got the schmofficial solution yesterday.  I tried embroil, and then xylophone was obvious.  I had other -phones earlier but hadn't seen that one until then.  Congrats on all your 2fers today!

Ciao_yall, do you remember what the spoiler was that was posted (apparently several times) yesterday in the FB group? They deleted it before I could find out, but I was curious about how egregious it was.

Happy solving!