News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I got to GN4L but not Alpha yet so far.  Yesterday's final words included ecocide (I had tried others with that prefix but not that one, apparently), nonce, codon, odeon.  I usually have more luck with those and thought I had put the latter in.  Congrats on your QB, monarda!

I had the same LB solution as cathwen.  I figured at least parliament might be part of the schmofficial solution, but I guess not! I was also a little surprised about whup but was glad it was accepted. 

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got to Alpha and down to one word and finally gave up and sought help.  At least we had team QB!

I have a couple reasonable contenders for LB but nothing yet.

ciao_yall

I found a 3fer, but then finally got help from the Forum for a 2fer. It was a tricky one.

Still at QB - 1. Even with forum definitions, Google and dictionary didn't yield anything.

Parasaurolophus

Stuck at 72% of genius, and pretty sure I have half a 2fer. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Almost genius, with the pangram. Grading day today, so might get to genius, but not much further.

Last word yesterday was pianola. I tried all kinds of permutations and came up with this word, not realizing that it was an actual word.

subways/sporangia

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning! 

Pianola was also my last word, and I only got it thanks to WP definitions plus a wild guess.  I had never heard the word before.  It's now on my Bee list.

Today I am at genius with the pangram, but getting to genius was a struggle.  If I get much beyond that, it will be a miracle.  Or thanks to massive amounts of help from WP.  I think this is a tough one.

I did not find a 2fer yesterday—I had subway(s), but could not find a mate.  Prognosis (the "official" answer) never occurred to me, much less sporangia.  Congratulations on your 2fer, Langue_doc!  I think you might be the only one? 

Today, though, I did find a 2fer, although my second word is a little strange. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

The word that kept me from QB was.... drumroll....pillion. Surprised I didn't try it as a variation of nonillion but oh well.

LB - only one 3fer brawny-yogis-sprung. That was a tricky one! Langue-doc I worship your knowledge of the word sporangia.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Just one more word to QB! It took a while to find the pangram, but that got me to GN4L.  I don't think there were any really word words so far, so good luck.  I happened to guess pianola yesterday and managed to get papillon from missing it in a previous puzzle and remembering my husband talking about it (a movie or a show?).  But pillion is the one that took me forever and some help.  I think that's been in there before, too. 

Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc.  Definitely had not heard of the second word.  I also had subway(s) and thought that might work but couldn't get a mate.  Congrats on already getting one today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

GWP, 2fer.

Now the slog to QB begins.

ab_grp

Got my final word and QBABM! Yay! Husband still has one word left of a different length.

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc

Got to genius, but that's it.

I found sporangia because one of the participants on one of my outings was discoursing about fungi. As for pillion, this is a motorcycle word that appeared in a very recent bee. Haven't any of you ridden pillion?

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I have ridden on the backs of many motorcycles, but I'm pretty sure the gents I rode with did not use that level of terminology.  Who knows, maybe they did know the vocab but didn't use it around me because they figured I wouldn't! It's great that the fungi discourse prompted your LB solution.  Serendipity!

ETA: Oops! Came here to pass along info from Sam about some bee stuff: https://twitter.com/thegridkid/status/1443216868307832852
1) Coming soon: A rare small-but-TOUUUGH Bee. You'll know the pangram, but some Scrabbly crunch will ensure a tough road to Graduation cap
2) Also coming soon: The smallest Bee to date
3) PAVLOVIAN is always capitalized ... I know, I know

ab_grp

Langue_doc

Congrats!

I tried Pavlovian repeatedly, on the kindle, the desktop, and the laptop. Inconsistency, thy name is Sam.

cathwen

Finally clawed my way to QB, although not ABM.

I also tried Pavlovian—it was the first word I saw, although I thought it might be rejected because it is capitalized. 

Ab_grp, thanks for posting about the small but tough Bee that's coming soon!  And congratulations on your QBABY!  And the 2fer.