News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

ciao_yall

QBwG and a really funny LB 2fer that I can't wait to tell everyone about. I have a buddy who sometimes doesn't do LB so I send him solutions I find fun, but he wants to do LB today so it would be a spoiler.

ab_grp

Yeah, ciao_yall! Can't wait to hear about your 2fer!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

I think the bee's going berserk--its antics remind me of Hal the computer.

When I reached genius, long after finding the pangram, the bee informed me:
You reached the highest rank, with 30 words and 108 points. You're on the up and up! You ranked higher than yesterday.

When I just looked at yesterday's answers, I saw the following:
May your reign last forever, Queen Bee!

How can I rank higher today with just genius when I got to QB yesterday??!!!

copulate/embroil; I was surprised that my solution got past the LB censors.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

QBwG, last word was mind.

And yeah, copulate-embroil. What a story!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with letter hints for the last two words, modicum and dunno. Today I am at Genius with the pangram.

Ciao_yall, your 2fer sounds like the beginning of a plot line for a bodice-ripper!  Mine was the boring old political-lumber,which was the "official" one.

I found a 2fer today as well.

It's a bright, sunny day and the birds are active.  We have a whole flock of robins in our dogwood tree, with house finches and chickadees flitting around as well.  A male downy woodpecker is pecking at things in the tree across the way.  Spring will be upon us soon! 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Still at AwP and a 2fer for today. Maybe when I get Genius I'll get a message.

Langue_Doc I also got the same message.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Haven't gotten too far into the bee and haven't found the pangram yet! Husband did, but it seemed to take him a while.  I wanted to get my crossword done first.  My final words yesterday were undid, dumdum.  I checked and also got that "May your reign last forever, Queen Bee!" message in the Yesterday's Answers part.  Yay!

For LB, I got public-calorimeter.  I like the more scandalous solution better, but I am just happy to have one after a dry spell! Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

I have another call today, so I'm not sure if it will be a successful puzzle day or not.  Hope so!

I'm glad you are having such nice weather and visits from the birds, cathwen! Eldest daughter is down the shore with her dad and others to do their annual polar bear plunge.  My preference would be to skip the ocean part and just have a beer.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

When I hit "genius" I got the same message about ranking higher than yesterday. Not sure how they decide that. I was well into Genius and only 2 points short when I hit the grid.

cathwen

QBABM!  But no pop-up congratulatory messages for me.

However, when I click on "Yesterday," I get "May your reign last forever, Queen Bee!"

Langue_doc

QB and a two-fer--not an economical use of the letters, but a two-fer all the same.

Got my Spring Break organized. Now I have to schedule the second of my dental appointments so that I can recover from the effects of the procedure and the anesthesia well before Spring Break. Priorities, priorities.

cathwen, the congratulatory message pops up as soon as you hit genius and erroneously informs you that your scores on hitting genius supersede your scores for the previous day--this is how it worked the last couple of days.

ab_grp

Okay, finally got the pangram and GN4L and am down to 4 words to QB, but I'm not at alpha yet.  Congrats on your QBABYs, cathwen and Langue_doc!

I found out that the polar bear plunge is to support the Special Olympics, so I guess I can understand taking the plunge!

Parasaurolophus

Did pretty poorly today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and well above genius so far. Last word yesterday was coopt.

crabwalk/kilometric

Two two-fers today!

Grading day today, so that I can submit the early warnings earlier than the deadline. I have students who don't seem to understand that online courses have deadlines or require a computer and internet access.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I had the "official" wombat-trickle for LB yesterday.  I have a weird 2fer today.  Langue_doc, congratulations on having found two of them!

SB:  Yesterday my last word was photopic.  I am at QB-2 today.

Langue_doc, I once had a student who tried to take my online course completely on his iPhone.  Needless to say, he got frustrated and withdrew before the deadline. But at least he realized that he needed internet access!

Happy puzzling!