News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday I made QBABM!  A red letter day.  I can't remember what the last word was.

LB:  No 2fer yesterday!  I hope others had better luck than I did.  I found a 2fer today, though. 

Langue_doc, enjoy your trip!  And ab_grp, I hope your thumb heals quickly. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH - missed bocce again! Gah. Today I am two 4Ls short of GABM and hope to find them myself.

LB - I found a 2fer b4ss pajamas-stunningly and plenty of 3fers such as jumpily-yang-gits, jangly-tips-stump. I recall thinking of the word jumpsuit but not actually noticing that it was there! Another gah.

Happy solving!

cathwen

A gah here too, ciao_yall.  I saw both jump and suit, but never thought to put them together!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday we almost had team QB but were missing celeb, bloc, bleed?! Wow, congrats on your QBABY, cathwen!

I had no luck on LB either and also saw jump, suit but didn't think of them together.  :-( Tough one! Congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

And thanks for the thumb healing wishes, Langue_doc and cathwen.  It is really eye opening how many things we do throughout the day need either a thumb itself or at least not to have excruciating pain when moving other fingers toward or away from the thumb.  And then there's the screaming pain when touching it a certain way, which I can never replicate unless by accident!! Husband picked up a couple things at the drug store, and the stabilizer I wore during the night was a complete godsend, letting me sleep with no pain at all.  I'm giving it a break right now with some BenGay and then back into a stabilizer later.  I have no idea what caused this but would like to avoid it in the future.  It just makes me grateful for what I usually have and definitely more compassionate for others.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip, Langue_doc! An enjoyable workshop and relaxing vacation! Or whatever adjectives you are hoping for!

Happy solving! 

ab_grp

I got a 2fer pretty quickly, but it is a little odd, so I might try again.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB, was short two 4Ls and went to the grid. Got lede, lode.

World's longest LB beachcomber-refraction.

ab_grp, Some carpal tunnel syndrome in my 20's made me train myself to be ambidextrous. I'm not perfect but it comes in handy at times! Worth a try. It feels awkward at first - give yourself some time.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and almost genius.

I was at Starbucks earlier this morning where I saw one of our favorite words on their menu--Açaí tea and Strawberry açaí lemonade. Not being a frequenter at Starbucks, I probably missed seeing this word as I usually know what I want (espresso) before I get to the register.

Met some interesting people--old acquaintances as well as new, and am looking forward to meeting new arrivals today. I do have to complete the reading assignments and also learn how to manage in a dorm room. The bed/cot is rather high, so I used the chair to climb onto it, but forgot about the height this morning when I almost fell down when getting out of bed. There are no bedside tables which means that the kindle isn't within reach which means that I don't get to work on the bee before getting out of bed. I had a nice drive--I learned to avoid I95 by taking 15 all the way through until it meets the main drag in CT, and then several interstates. I was driving through very green corridors all the way to my destination--there were trees overhanging the road and also in the median on 15, and then there were trees and grass, plants, and occasional trees in the median on the interstates.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Not quite to genius yet, though I do have the pangram.  Yesterday we almost had team QB but needed the first letter for kohl.  Shunn wasn't loading, so I was glad for the grid attached in the app.

For LB, I got bromantic-chef.  I was surprised it took the first word.  I tried many more times, and had refraction but could not get a mate.  Congrats on your super long one, ciao_yall!! And also thanks for the encouragement! Can you write with your non-dominant hand? I have played instruments with two hands so feel as though using both shouldn't be that big a deal, but it is difficult.  Probably good to keep at it even as and after my current injury improves.  That's a great skill to have.

Langue_doc, I don't think I have seen acai in the wild.  I'm glad you're having a good trip so far, though it is jarring not to have a bedside table or the usual bed set up.  Good thing you didn't fall out! Is 15 the Merritt Parkway? I used to take that up to a couple areas of CT for a regional conference.  Definitely a nicer drive than some routes! Though there can be tradeoffs, of course.  Enjoy the interesting people!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBABM again yesterday!  Last word was idol.   I'm at Alpha today, but foresee the need for hints.

LB:  I had the (boring) "official" chamber-refraction.  No 2fer today yet!  Lots of good words, but no mates that I can see.

Langue_doc, we're just a couple of miles away from 15 (Merritt Parkway...then the name changes to Wilbur Cross).  Whenever we have a choice between 15 and I-91, we always take 15, which is far more pleasant.  Enjoy your conference!  And good luck getting used to the bed.  Not having a night table next to the bed would really annoy me. 

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ab_grp

Congrats on getting QBABY again yesterday, cathwen! You are on a roll! I hope you can get your QB today as well.  I am struggling a bit, though I did get to genius after finishing the conversation-starting (loads of comments!) crossword puzzle.  And congrats on another 2fer today! I have a huge bunch of contenders, but I have not found a mate yet. 

Parasaurolophus

I seem to have fallen well short today. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (first word) and above genius today. Made it to above genius yesterday. That's it for games.

CT 15 starts as the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx, then becomes CT 15, and then gets renamed the Merrit Parkway and then the Wilbur Cross. There are several service plazas along the entire route in CT which makes it a very pleasant alternative to I 95.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I needed a 2LL nudge yesterday to find teleplay and playlet, which jumped into my mind while driving to the grocery store.  Today I have three words to go and, as usual, am stuck.

No 2fer yesterday!  And none yet today.  Argh!

Happy puzzling!

ETA:  Found a 2fer!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, last word was phyla. LB earplugs-smock.

Happy solving!

ab_grp, how's the thumb? Experimenting with ambidextrism? i can scrawl with my left hand, but since my right-handed writing is not that legible either it's not such a big deal. Anything takes practice... and headaches.