News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning/afternoon!

It got late yesterday, so I turned to BeeBuddy to find toothy, apathy, rotatory, and throaty (my last word).  Today I am at genius with the pangram.

LB: I also had jankiest-tuxedo. The first word was a wild guess after junkiest was rejected and junkies didn't seem to be leading anywhere.  I found a 2fer today.

As for cryptic crosswords, I am not very good at them. Puns and anagrams, yes, but not the cryptic crosswords. I like trying them, though.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QB-1 ABM. Really hope it's not a weird one so I can ABM it. I did get a quick 2fer this morning.

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, I'm in the same boat.  QB-1 and a quick 2fer! I thought I had QBABM but had written down the wrong total # words.  Darn it! Good luck to us both!

Langue_doc

QB--haven't had a chance to look at LB.

cathwen, I've been meaning to ask you about CT-15 aka Merritt, aka Wilbur Cross. Last year, on my way out this time of the year, I was happy to see the tree-lined lanes. On my way back, however, less than a couple of weeks later, I was dismayed to see the trees cut down along long stretches of the route, and more trees readied for demolition. These were fully grown trees providing plenty of much-needed shade. When I drove up this way in December, there were saplings along some of the stretches of this route. Would you know why the old trees were cut down? I'll be driving thataway this weekend, so have been thinking about the poor trees that were cut down.

ab_grp

Just to update, got QBABM.  Congrats on yours, Langue_doc!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and then the pangram. Last word yesterday was tacet which I remembered from previous bees.

potluck/keratin, crackle (tackle)/eruption; couldn't find a mate for crackpot.

Happy solving!

ETA QB--all familiar words!

cathwen

Good morning!

With a little more persistence, I could have gotten ciabatta and efface yesterday, but I went to BeeBuddy to find them. Congratulations on the QBs!  Today I have the pangram, four words to go. 

LB: reputation/nickel; pluckier-rotation (or ration); cockler-reputation. No luck today so far, though!

Langue_doc, the removal of trees has bothered me as well, but apparently many of them were diseased and thus hazardous. An article in CT Insider from March 2023 explains: 

https://www.ctinsider.com/politics/article/lawmakers-critical-dot-clear-cutting-trees-along-17810156.php

I agree that it is heartbreaking to see all the trees go, but after reading the article, I understand why it had to be done.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and genius, but the pangram took a while.  Congrats, Langue_doc! I still have a ways to go.  And good luck, cathwen! Yesterday I thought I had QB with tibiae (which I think I forgot last time), but it ended up that I finally got it with feta.

For LB I had plucker-ration.  Lots of variety, though cathwen got mine.  Congrats on all the multiple solutions!

I forgot that I have a meeting this afternoon so won't have all the time in the world for puzzling.  I may have to skip it, though I guess I can puzzle on my phone.  It's an org that I really liked and was glad for at the start but which has now been infiltrated by the same old people who take over every org in my professional space, so I no longer feel as though I have much opportunity to contribute.  I don't know what to do about this kind of thing, but it's disheartening.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1ABM then finally needed the 2LL for acetic, which I have gotten before. Kept thinking ascetic. LB plucker-ration.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Yay! Got to QBABM! And I managed to get a 2fer within a few tries.  Just in time for the call.  Now I will have nothing to do.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Just a couple of words left today. Last word yesterday was entity.

cathwen, cutting down trees that have outlived their lifespan makes sense. I recall a tree walk in Central Park where we were told that the plane trees that replaced the diseased elms have a life span of around 120 years or so. I think it was Robert Moses, long deceased, who oversaw the tree plantings so it's probably time for new trees.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB almost ABM, wild guess at netty (?) then needed a hint for mentee /facepalm. LB vehicular-ritzy.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Almost to genius (decided to work on the crossword), but I do have pangram.  Yesterday I got to QB with feint.

I also had vehicular-ritzy, which I guess turned out to be schmofficial.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I got to QB yesterday with a hint for mentee, a word I always seem to miss. Today I am at genius with the pangram, and four more words to go.

LB: Congratulations on the 2fers! I did not find one.  I don't know how I missed ritzy. No 2fer yet today, either, in spite of a couple of very good words.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Missed cichlid yesterday.

Happy solving!