News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, realized I was missing dwell(ed). LN got a nudge for whilst-taxpayer.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I finally found the pangram yesterday; it was my next-to-last word. My last word was wooed. Today I have the pangram and am at QB-3.

LB: No luck yesterday! But I have one today.

Ab_grp, I hope the appliance delivery goes smoothly! And that the javelinas don't attack the delivery people (or you)! My husband's family moved to the southwest when he was in his teens and has encountered javelinas, which he describes as "nasty little things." We'll be traveling in the West and Southwest in October to visit relatives, so maybe I'll see one.

Best wishes for your husband. Later today my husband is going to see the oncologist to discuss his latest scan. Fingers are crossed.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen! Thanks for the good wishes, and of course I will cross my fingers for your husband's scan! I hope your trip includes pleasant weather and no crazy critters.  Hopefully flights will be more pleasant, and you won't run into any crazy critters on your plane, either.

All food has been removed to coolers, so the countdown is on.  Delivery arrival window ends in 1h19.  I think we're as prepared as we can be.  And we found a few meats we had forgotten about! Plus part of a Kit Kat in a plastic bag in the butter area where I am not tall enough to see.  No idea when that arrived or whose it is.  Maybe youngest's?

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with pangram so far, though the pangram took a minute.  Yesterday I almost got to QB but needed one more word that I couldn't figure out.  Husband donated it (rabbi), so we ended up with team QB.

I also finally got a 2fer, puckering-globe.  I guess I could have been a bit more parsimonious and ended up with the schmofficial solution, but I am just glad to get one.  And I got a 2fer today!

Appliance delivery and install went pretty smoothly, and we've got everything more or less put in a reasonable place.  The single-vision glasses I got for husband (2-day delivery only available for single-vision) came right on time yesterday.  I was a little shocked to hear him put them on and say "Wow, I guess I was pretty blind!" Hmm.  What have you been seeing or not seeing all these years?! He's been having fun doing the usual thing with new lenses of looking around at everything, see what you can read from what distance, and so forth.  I also got him a quick pair of progressive sunglasses that should come in a few days and some cheap readers coming today, and he went to the glasses shop for good progressive glasses and sunglasses for every day use.  So at least he is as good as he can be on eyesight right now!

Cathwen, I hope your husband's appointment went well!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

(How can it already be afternoon?) QBwH yesterday to find drib, rabbi, and my last word, airball. Today I am past genius with the pangram.

LB: I also had puckering-globe. I didn't even think of glob for some reason! I have a 2fer today.

So glad your appliances are now in place, ab_grp! I have an unreasonable love for new appliances, although I do not indulge unless something really needs replacing. I keep hoping for the demise of our refrigerator, which is very reliable, but I don't like the layout. But alas, it keeps on working just fine.

Your husband must be enjoying his improved vision!

The news on my husband's scan was pretty good. That is, the really aggressive cancer (the bladder cancer) shows no sign of return. The CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) is very slow to progress and can go on for a very long time without causing problems. His lymph nodes are ever so slightly larger than before—so he'll have another scan in January. But he looks and feels good, so that's a good sign. We're both just glad that his condition will not interfere with our October trip.

So, on that note...happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwATHICG for biradial. LB puckering-glob.

We replaced all our appliances, then moved to a brand new condo with new, but relatively primitive/cheap appliances. That was about 10 years ago, and now they are starting to show signs of EOL. But we are getting ready to move again and I'm not sure I want to replace them.

Plus we have a stacking washer with a gas dryer and it's really hard to find a replacement.

Oh well, first world problems!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen (+ today) and ciao_yall!

Cathwen, first I am so glad to hear that the results were pretty good yesterday.  And looking good, feeling good, and being able to do the things you want to do is very good. 

Seeing "good" is another thing. ;-) I realized that this may be the first time my husband is seeing me clearly...

I also love new appliances, and I am excited about these new ones but am also not a big spender, so buying so much at once is a little painful for me.  But, I am so glad, like with the HVAC that we got replaced, that new ones are in place before the old ones just totally conked out and left us with issues.  We still have the old fridge hooked up, so I'll see how long that continues to last.  I grew up with the top 1/3 freezer, bottom 2/3 fridge type and had that through my apartments and two previous houses.  When we moved in here, they had a side by side fridge/freezer, so I got used to that and liked the extra freezer space.  This one is french door fridge on top with lower freezer drawer that also has an inset higher drawer in it, and I think it is going to take me some time to get used to.  It seems wasteful to have to open both fridge doors, so we'll have to be thoughtful about where to put stuff so we can remember where it is. I'm also not sure about having to bend down to get stuff out of the freezer, but it is a little better in some ways that opening the door before and having an avalanche of frozen food land on my feet (I suppose that could be avoided if we were better organized).

Ciao_yall, sound like a tough decision to make! If you are definitely moving and relatively soon, and if it isn't going to affect the sale of the condo in any way, I'd probably hold off.  Good luck either way!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

QB. Last word was rabbi.

plucking/grebo; played around with the remaining letters to find the latter--now I have to look up what it means.

I'm way behind with the crosswords.

Long birding day.

ab_grp and cathwen, glad to hear that spouses are doing well.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1ABM then had to get a hint for rattrap which seems it should be at least hyphenated, no? LB got a hint for warships-surmount. Another day of 3fers and close calls.

Was at a bar last night and saw someone with a bright yellow screen! Conversation started, and turns out he didn't know QB or 2fers. Poor guy has lost his innocence.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

On the way to genius with one pangram at the moment.  Yesterday we had team QB.  I was missing farad, turf.  Why don't they accept turd? That would have gotten me to genius.

Finally got the schmofficial LB solution mouthwash-hairpin after what I thought were some good contenders.

I'm glad you could bring your barmate into the light (or darkness), ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with help to find apparat and farad, my last word. Today I just got to genius with one of the two pangrams.

LB: I had mountainous-shopworn and pinworm-mouthwash. I have one today also.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

QB thanks to BB. Last word yesterday was rattrap.

mountainous/shopworn, whomp/puritans

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

A bit past genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for colleen, colcannon, and maybe one other.  I missed cloaca as well! It has been a while.

No luck on LB again, though I was close in some ways to the schmofficial solution, for better or worse.  Congrats on your two 2fers yesterday, Langue_doc! Whomp-puritans is a funny one.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Seven or eight points left in today's bee. Needed help with colcannon and a couple of other words.

biomedical/loquacious

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

And congrats on yours yesterday, Langue_doc! Darnit, I had loquacious.  I could only think of bioma, which wasn't even a word.  Oh well.  And good luck on your final bee points!