News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB; the second pangram was my last word. Missed novation--even autocorrect doesn't like this word.

I think the convoluted solution was revoke/enlightened, which appears to be less convoluted than the official one.

flumes/scarcity

A flurry of rescheduling of events for this weekend--I couldn't go to several anyway because there were more than a couple scheduled for both days. Now there are at least four scheduled for the first Saturday in October! We rescheduled the one I organized for the middle of the month.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

On the way to genius with one pangram so far.  Congrats on QB, Langue_doc! I am a little daunted to hear that it took you to the end to find the other pangram.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I needed help with anion, novation.

For LB I finally got multicycles-scarf.  I thought that one was out there but think it's more normal than the schmofficial one, I guess similar to Langue_doc's experience with the previous day.  Congrats on yours, Langue_doc!

And sorry to hear about all the rescheduling and now the conflicting events! I'm glad that the one you organized will still take place.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH, last word initiation. LB got a nudge for calamities-surfy.

Quick 2fer this morning so back to the Bee!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBwH yesterday, last word tomtit. Today I have both pangrams and three words to go, but having a hard time figuring out what they could be.

LB: I had calamities-surfy and creamers-stultify. No 2fer yet today, but have some good contenders! Congratulations on yours, ciao_yall!

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last word yesterday was propaganda.

quake/emigration; NYT does come up with cutesy words when much easier ones would work.

Happy solving!

ETA QB.

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH yesterday to find dognap, my last word. Got to QB today!

LB: No 2fer yesterday; I was trying to find something with tourniquet, but did not succeed. Congratulations on your solution, Langue_doc! I do have a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for gonna, even though I got doggo earlier. LB quake-emigration.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Finally got to genius, and I have a bunch of other puzzles still to do.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I needed help with agar, nonagon (an old "favorite"!).  Had to give husband a hint for his second pangram, which was grandpop.  That was my first word! And his first word was the other pangram, which took me until mid-day to get.  Who knows.  Sounds like my struggle was more similar to Langue_doc's.  I am not clear on why grandpoppa wasn't accepted given all the other variations for that person and that poppa is accepted.

For LB I also got quake-emigration, which seems more normal than the schmofficial one.

This morning I had the pleasure of my annual chest and soul crushing appointment, which honestly is not usually that bad but was a little more uncomfortable today for some reason.  I will probably do a full-body stretch later to deal with the neck/back/shoulder/everything soreness.  Then off for my fasting bloodwork, which was very efficient.  So we got back and had breakfast and went for a walk and now I am trying to get to some real puzzling (after Duolingo, I guess).  They used to do the bloodwork at the same facility with the scans, but now they've closed the lab there. 

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, last word yoohoo. LB crampon-nationalize.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday, 1L help to find okra, my last word. Today I'm beyond genius with four out of the five pangrams. Ugh! A long one today.

LB: I had corporation-normalize. I found a quick one today.

Sorry the chest-crusher was worse than usual, ab_grp! Sometimes they're not bad, but sometimes...they are.

I had my second shingles shot Friday and spent much of yesterday in bed. Very mild fever and lots of muscle aches. I had no reaction at all to the first shot, but the pharmacist warned me that I might with the second one; she was right. Today I'm fine! I get my Covid shot next Wednesday, a day I chose because Thursday is free of appointments/obligations, as I will almost certainly have a reaction to that as well. Then it will be time for my flu shot...

Anyway...happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

It's a very long one today--I hate the repetitive-ending-ones. Almost there, but have neither the energy or inclination to spend any more time on the bee. Last word was hoorah.

proclaim/mentalize

ab_grp and cathwen, hope you have recovered from your medical appointments.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got to genius with 4/5 pangrams.  We needed bee buddy for hookah, and I needed help with yahoo, yoohoo for some reason.

For LB I got corporatize-element.  I was hoping parliament(arian) might yield something.  Oh well.  Congrats on all the solutions! And on another today, cathwen!

And thanks for the well wishes and commiseration, cathwen and Langue_doc.  I don't know how people who are less flexible, mobile, stable, etc. can contort themselves enough to get a good image.  I'm doing better today but trying not to go overboard trying to interpret test results.  There's always something, it seems.  My MD appt isn't until Wednesday.

Cathwen, sounds like you are going through the gauntlet with medical stuff as well with all those immunizations! I'm sorry to hear you had a reaction to the shingles one.  I'm glad you are feeling better now, but I hope the covid and flu vaccines go much more smoothly! Trying to schedule all these tests, appointments, vaccines around real life is a challenge sometimes, because they can really take it out of you.  I will be sending good vaccine reaction wishes your way!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far, but this is one of those combos I am not super fond of.  Yesterday I finally got the 5th pangram while exercising, and we had to get help from bee buddy for tangram, trimaran, trigram, and maybe another? Oh yeah, main.  Ugh.

For LB I ended up with a strange one, ultramarine-earlock.  I tried the first word and guessed the second from what was left.  Just glad to get one, finally!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB. Yesterday I missed mantra, tamarin, tangram, and trigram.

numeric/cocktail

ab_grp, I like your ultramarine combo.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for easy ones I had overlooked like marring as well as the tricky ones. That's what happens when a puzzle is 79 words long! LB umami-interlock.

Quick 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!