News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and to genius or a bit past so far.  Yesterday we were both missing lenity and myelin.  I had been having good luck getting to QBABM, but they've been throwing some new words (to me) in there lately! I guess it's good to expand the vocabulary.

I also got the schmofficial mild-dysfunction.  Congrats on getting a different one, Langue_doc! And congrats on another today, even if it ends up being schmofficial.

I have probably seen ambulettes but didn't realize that that was what they were called.  Interesting!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer! Four more words to go on the bee. 

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and well above genius. Last word yesterday was denude.

dwarfs/solecism

QuoteBut how does anyone get QBABM?

It isn't too difficult as long as there aren't any weird words such as aargh (which I found, just by typing this after the unsuccessful argh), and the ones in recent puzzles. I usually get to genius with or without the pangram(s) before getting out of bed. Being a voracious reader helps as does trying all possible combinations with the letters in the puzzles.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwG, wild guesses for endue, endued.

LB with hints and some new words microworlds-safe, welfarism-melodic. I did enjoy the visual poetry of my 3fers frolic-crawdads-some, farms-social-lewd.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 20, 2023, 04:49:35 AM
Good morning!

Pangram and well above genius. Last word yesterday was denude.

dwarfs/solecism

QuoteBut how does anyone get QBABM?

It isn't too difficult as long as there aren't any weird words such as aargh (which I found, just by typing this after the unsuccessful argh), and the ones in recent puzzles. I usually get to genius with or without the pangram(s) before getting out of bed. Being a voracious reader helps as does trying all possible combinations with the letters in the puzzles.

Happy solving!

Yeah, I always get genius pretty quickly. QB with some level of hints and reminders during the day. And I'm learning new words.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius so far.  Yesterday we had team QB, but neither of us could get our final two words.  Mine were eunuch, unceded.  Oh well, I tried.

I also got dwarfs-solecism yesterday.  I never would have gotten welfarism.  Congrats, ciao_yall!

Husband used to have a photography business on the side and brought his camera out today for puzzling time in case we saw any interesting birds.  He managed to get a blurry photo of one that I saw in Merlin at the same time and was going to tell him to try to get: male Lazuli Bunting (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Lazuli_Bunting/id).  Pretty! And apparently rare here.  Other interesting birds in the area recently were Scott's Oriole (listed as rare here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Scotts_Oriole/overview) and Hooded Oriole (listed as uncommon here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hooded_Oriole/overview).  Well, I guess rare and uncommon at here at this time of the year or some such.  He's hoping that our new hobby of sitting and letting birds come to us will also help him get his photography chops back.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon/evening!

QB yesterday with help to find eunuch and undue.  (And I even had endue)!   Today I got to QB-3, then had a lot of work to do, so went to hints to finish,.

LB:  No 2fer yesterday, and none so far today.  Congratulations, everyone, on yours! 

Ab_grp, those are some great sightings!  Yesterday, my husband and I saw a female ruby crowned kinglet.  She put on quite a display for us, allowing my husband to get several good photos.  (He's taking his new camera on our walks to practice for our trip in May.).

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QB-2... trying not to go to hints but I've already hit the 2LL and Spelling Bee Buddy. And I do have a 2fer today but it's a weird one. I think they all will be weird ones.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last word yesterday was phenom, which I happened to hear while riding the subway earlier this week, but didn't know what it meant until I looked it up after getting home.

ab_grp, those are lovely birds. Do post your sightings along with the photos on ebird. Birds that used to be "uncommon" are no longer so because of the changing weather patterns.

cathwen, if I might ask, where are you going?

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with hints for anemone, pompano, and mammon.  I had a lot of work yesterday and got impatient, so I went to 2LL hints. These are all words I've gotten before.  Today I am beyond genius with the pangram. 

LB:  Another day without a 2fer! And no 2fer yet today, although I have some good contenders.

Langue_doc, we're going on a cruise that starts in Barcelona and ends in Reykjavik.  One stop on the way is at Caernarvon in north Wales, and the excursion we've signed up for is a bird watching expedition, which we are both very much looking forward to.  It's an extravagant vacation, but we haven't been much of anywhere for several years, and while we're still healthy, we decided to splurge.  Future vacations will be way more modest. 

Anyway—happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

cathwen, that sounds like a fun and well-deserved vacation. Do keep us posted on the interesting sites/sights, and also on the birds you see on the expedition.

cathwen and ab_grp, in addition to posting your bird sightings here, might I suggest also foraying into the bird thread to post your bird sightings there? That thread has not been very active until about a couple of days or so.

ciao_yall

QBwH for a new word phoneme. LB exurban-nodulize. I was adding -ize to anything I could think of.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  At least one word I thought might be accepted isn't.  Yesterday we failed to get team QB again, missing pompano.  I was also missing apeman/men

I got the schmofficial solution, idolize-exurban (second word first), right before dinner.  I was hoping exurbanize would work, but no.  Congrats on your variation, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, I thought about the bird thread but am such a dilettante with it at the moment... I don't want to just post a drive-by post and not go back to it! I hope we can get some good pics.  Today was a little windy, so few birds right in our line of sight.  That's good to know about the rarity! There was a (also marked rare) Cassin's Finch in the area, but we didn't see it.  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cassins_Finch/id

Cathwen, that sounds like an amazing vacation! I think a lot of people never splurge on that kind of thing or wait on it until it's too late.   I have been fortunate to be on a few trips that are really memorable.  Being so immersed in different everything can really enrich and maybe change your life.   And it sounds like a wonderful itinerary! Can't wait to hear all about it and live vicariously through you and your husband.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word was villa. I was surprised/annoyed that alluvial wasn't accepted.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I'm beyond genius today, but I'll be darned if I can find the pangram.  Yesterday my last words were tali and tallit, both of which I now remember from previous Bees.

LB:  I had the "official" womb-beneficiary.  I found one today also without too much trouble. 

Happy puzzling!