News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram and a bit past.  Yesterday we had team QB, so no bee buddy.  I think I was missing eight.  How?!

Ciao_yall, okay thank you! I also swore I had one puzzle all day on my computer and then a different one on my phone when I solved later in the evening! And the funny thing is that now that you mention it, I think breaking-glitch was the solution I got the other time everyone had a different puzzle than I did! Sadly, I did not manage to get the very same solution again, somehow.  But I did get a 2fer today.  Congrats on your solutions!

Sorry to hear that your tech issues continue, Langue_doc.  I hope they can get them figured out.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram yet. Last word yesterday was minimum.

poultice/empathy

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL and a wild guess for nuncio. LB automatic-cheaply.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram and a bit further so far.  Yesterday we tried and tried with bee buddy and hints and finally had to look up our final word, nuncio.  Never would have gotten that one, though I have heard of it.

For LB, I got polymathic-cute.  Congrats on your solutions, Langue_doc and ciao_yall!

I slept in after a bad night of sleep and feel better now but am way late on my day! Still have to get the sudokus done by 4, but I did get crossword done.  Merlin listed a couple new-to-us birds, but no sightings (I will list but don't have time to link right now): summer tanager (pretty red bird! wish we saw that one), western meadowlark, northern mockingbird.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got pangrams and a bit past genius so far.  Yesterday, bee buddy had to help us with two words: flail (?!), carioca.  Not sure we will ever get the latter without help.

For LB, I had the schmofficial glum-microwave.  And I have another today!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QbwH for carioca, focaccia after grumbling that it wouldn't take carciofi. LB needed a nudge for glum-microwave. Not sure why I never saw micro- - maybe because I was looking for an n?

Oh well, happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon/Evening!

Pangram and above genius this morning. Missed carioca and a couple more words, but did get the difficult ones quite early.

Have been birding two days in a row with bird-watching groups, and by myself on shorter walks on two more days last week.

ab_grp, hope you get to see the summer tanager--it's quite a sight, far redder than the cardinal. We saw a scarlet tanager yesterday, and four or five more today. I also saw one on the short walk on Thursday--these were all in different parks/nature preserves. I remember seeing the summer tanager on one of the migration walks in Central Park last year.

cathwen, hope all's well with you.

ETA: QB.

ab_grp

Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc! And I'm glad you've had some good luck out on your walks.  Red is my favorite color, and I love cardinals, so I am definitely hoping to see the summer tanager! One thing I wondered... with a mockingbird around, what if there aren't any other birds at all? It's just doing the calls of all these cool birds.  Absurd, but these are the dumb scenarios my mind comes up with.  ;-)

I have also been thinking of cathwen!

cathwen

Good evening!

QB today, with help from Spelling Bee Buddy.  Yesterday I missed focaccia and one other that I can't remember. 

LB:  I did not get a 2fer yesterday.  I do have one today, though!

Well, yesterday and today have been...special.  My husband and I were watching the coronation when they played a hymn that had been one of our wedding hymns.  I moved over to him and took his hand; we looked lovingly into each other's eyes; then he said, "I'm shivering."  I thought he meant shivering with emotion remembering our wedding!  But no—he was literally shivering, and the shivering went to bone-wracking shakes.  So, after a call to the doctor, off to the ER we went. It's another UTI.  I think he'll be okay when the antibiotics work their magic, but right now, he's not doing great, and I'm worried.  He had another shivering/shaking episode this afternoon.  It took a while to stop, but by the time I left, he was better and just wanted to sleep.  Today, by the way, is our 28th wedding anniversary. 

I am grateful for Spelling Bee, Letter Boxed, and the games for keeping me sane.  Lots of sitting around and waiting in a hospital!  Langue_doc and ab_grp, thank you for your thoughts!

Langue_doc

cathwen, sorry to hear about husband's medical episodes. Sending good wishes for good doctors, diagnosis, and recovery.

Happy Anniversary!

Wanted to write about the coronation (I love pomp, rituals, tradition, parades, and pageantry), will do so tomorrow.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was alley.

ab_grp, if the calls are from the northern mockingbirds, they (the birds) must be imitating calls around them which would lead one to suspect that there are scarlet tanagers in the area. You could look up the sightings on ebird for your area to see if any have been reported.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL, last words blobby, lovably. LB got as far as whisper-roc-caribou then went for hints to get screwup-phobia.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on May 07, 2023, 06:51:13 PM
Good evening!

QB today, with help from Spelling Bee Buddy.  Yesterday I missed focaccia and one other that I can't remember. 

LB:  I did not get a 2fer yesterday.  I do have one today, though!

Well, yesterday and today have been...special.  My husband and I were watching the coronation when they played a hymn that had been one of our wedding hymns.  I moved over to him and took his hand; we looked lovingly into each other's eyes; then he said, "I'm shivering."  I thought he meant shivering with emotion remembering our wedding!  But no—he was literally shivering, and the shivering went to bone-wracking shakes.  So, after a call to the doctor, off to the ER we went. It's another UTI.  I think he'll be okay when the antibiotics work their magic, but right now, he's not doing great, and I'm worried.  He had another shivering/shaking episode this afternoon.  It took a while to stop, but by the time I left, he was better and just wanted to sleep.  Today, by the way, is our 28th wedding anniversary. 

I am grateful for Spelling Bee, Letter Boxed, and the games for keeping me sane.  Lots of sitting around and waiting in a hospital!  Langue_doc and ab_grp, thank you for your thoughts!

Happy anniversary! We will be 29 years on May 14th.

He is lucky to have you caring for him right now. Hug each other tightly.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius plus with pangram.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for help with dumb old loblolly.

For LB I guess the solution was a ring, but I got the other side of it from the schmofficial one: phobias-screwup.  The site is displaying a little differently for me now? There's a "..." that I have to click on to bring up "Yesterday", which I then have to click on.  Hmm.  Maybe they're redoing it.

Langue_doc, good idea on checking ebird! I didn't really think it was just the mockingbird.  I have an absurd mind, but it keeps me entertained.  We always hear the birds right around the corner, and I envision that it's just the mockingbird trying to lure us over there, where we'll see some giant bird shadow waiting for us...

Cathwen, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's medical stuff!! I was worried not hearing any updates from you and am sorry that your husband is ailing.  I hope the antibiotics have kicked in and he's much more comfortable and doing much better! It's always fun when this happens on a weekend.  So sorry to hear that it happened on your anniversary weekend, but that also just seems to happen.  I hope you get to celebrate your 28 years on another date! Poor guy, sending all my best.  I hope you were both able to get some rest.  I have had the games as company on several occasions myself at various hospitals and know what you mean. 

And happy 29 years coming up for ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on May 08, 2023, 08:47:31 AM
Good morning!

Got to genius plus with pangram.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for help with dumb old loblolly.

For LB I guess the solution was a ring, but I got the other side of it from the schmofficial one: phobias-screwup. The site is displaying a little differently for me now? There's a "..." that I have to click on to bring up "Yesterday", which I then have to click on.  Hmm.  Maybe they're redoing it.

Me too. My muscle memory is all goofed up. I keep hitting "restart" instead of "delete."