News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

Journo!  Nope, I did not get it.  But now it's on my list of words to watch out for.  Ab_grp, was that your missing word, too?

Today I am at amazing with one of the two pangrams.

My LB solution for yesterday was chivalric-cobnut.  I had found bivouac, but had not thought to make charlatan out of the remaining letters.

I have not yet found a solution for today's LB. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams, 32 words.

My LB solution is the same as the one in the NYT. Gah!

Happy solving, everyone.

ab_grp

Good morning!

We also missed journo, cathwen.  Ugh!!! I will try to keep it in mind for the future.  And congrats on a different LB solution yesterday!

Langue_doc's excellent hints gave me the bivouac-charlatan solution.  I would never have come up with that.  Thanks again!

I got just past genius (138) with both pangrams so far.  It seems slow going, but the crossword also took a long time, as usual.  30 words at this point.  Congrats on genius + pangram yesterday, Parasaurolophus!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB: Another new word - journo.

Slower start this morning - "great" with one pangram.

LB: Thanks to Langue-doc got the solution right away. I hadn't gotten either word, though I had 3fers coming out of my ears (including volcanic-crutch-hob, tuna-archival-lob); 2fer b4ss solutions (including launchboat-trivia); and had they switched the V for an S (brunch-halitoSiS.) Anyone else see the nod to bee with nonalcoholic?

This morning, 3fer and a 2fer b4ss so who knows?

cathwen

I just found a solution for LB, but like yesterday, the second word is a desperation attempt that turned out to be a real word. 

I haven't made much progress on SB—still at amazing, only one pangram, but it's at least closer to genius than before.

Time to vacuum and dust—ugh! 

Langue_doc

I used to be quite happy with threefers and fourfers, but now it's two or nothing. Fast crowd I'm running with!

ab_grp

Yes, it's very motivating to be among finders of 2fers! Speaking of which, I have a couple good contenders.  One seems promising, as it leaves just a few letters, but no luck yet.

Haven't gotten back to the bee yet, as I am stumped on the hard sudoku.  But it's almost time for bee break, so maybe the time away and coffee will have helped.  Luckily, I do not have dusting or vacuuming in my plans, but I did find some flower identification apps that might help me figure out what roses we have.  I took some good pictures yesterday ahead of the cold front that was coming in that might cause some rose issues.

ciao_yall

I like the idea of "ships."

I call those 3 letter words that create transitions or use up odd letters "plugs."

This morning's 3fer is two ships with a transitional plug. So it's ship-plug-ship.

If this thread ever grows will we need a lexicon?

ab_grp

Plugs is a good one, too! With all our self-coined terms, we may need a dictionary of some sort.

I'm at 160/34 now, still not at Alpha.  It not so smooth going today. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on April 18, 2021, 10:26:11 AM
Plugs is a good one, too! With all our self-coined terms, we may need a dictionary of some sort.

I'm at 160/34 now, still not at Alpha.  It not so smooth going today.

Yeah, not moving too fast here either. 2 pangrams and still at amazing. It's like after I hit genius I want to take a nap!

Finding more 3fers using plugs so probably close.

ab_grp

I hope your plugs lead you to an LB victory!

Finally made it to Alpha with two words left.  It is very tiring!

cathwen

I finally saw the second pangram and made genius.  I'm at 146/32 words.  Congratulations on Alpha, ab_grp!

ciao_yall

Genius. Finally.

LB - feels like a repeat of yesterday. Oddly enough I have a ton of 2fer b4ss, and just a few legit 3fers. Getting ready to go for a long hike with a few friends so not sure I will get much more done.

Anyone feel like sending a hint?

Langue_doc

No LB, found a couple of words that are partnerless. Won't be looking at the puzzles until later tonight.

Just finished the crossword. Got stuck because of a typo--aargh. I'll have to miss the sudokus as they're going to disappear in less than an hour.

Enjoy the hike!

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, and good luck! We decided to go ahead and try to figure out whether we were missing the same words.  In doing letter counts, we figured out that I have husbands's four words, and we has my two.  Well, now I'm down to one, and he's down to two.  We each know what they start with and how long they are.  And yet, still no unpure QB.  Maybe next break.

Enjoy your hike, ciao_yall!

Sorry to hear about the puzzle issues, Langue_doc.  I finally had to ask the hard sudoku to give me a hint and then just go ahead and reveal that cell so I could get on with it and finish before the next ones came out.  I'm trying to avoid a backlog and just do the best I can on each one.  Time to start the next ones, I guess!

Still no LB joy with nearly 20 contenders.  I somehow came up with a word that had something like 12 C's in it (more or a lot less), and of course there is no C in the freaking puzzle, so I have no idea how I got off in that direction.  Yeek.  That NT combo is killing me.