News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on two 2fers and QB, Langue_doc! Maybe I will go try to look for another 2fer for practice.  I also tried a couple more interesting words that were not accepted.  Sounds like you might be suspecting the same word that I am that cathwen might be missing.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on May 11, 2021, 03:25:26 PM
Sounds like you might be suspecting the same word that I am that cathwen might be missing.

I think so too, ab_grp.

ciao_yall

I did get the pangram, which caused me to add a suffix to many words, some of which actually took!

Parasaurolophus

Couldn't hack it today, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Found a two-fer already.

homburgs/sacrist; tugboats/smirch; I didn't think sacrist was a word, but LB accepted it, so who am I to complain?

Couldn't find mates for scumbag(s) and sugarcoat(s).

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning, and congratulations on all the successes!

Yesterday was not a great puzzle day for me.  I never did succeed in finding a 2fer for LB, so I am especially impressed by the multiple solutions Langue_doc found!

As for yesterday's SB, I missed a abettal.  I could have sworn that I tried it once as one of those words I didn't think was a word and that SB might accept.  But apparently I either remembered wrong and never tried it in the first place, or mistyped it.  Oh well!

Today I am at genius with the pangram, and I have an LB solution.  I don't know how much more I'll be working on SB, since I have to grade final exams today and, barring difficult cases, report course grades to the university system. 

I will curious to see if anyone manages to get to QB today.  I find this particular puzzle difficult, even if low scoring.  I'm amazed I got to genius.

Anyway—happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - 2 new words: abettal, tabla, and one I thought I had tried babel but it didn't take. This morning just barely getting started but found the pangram.

LB - butch-histogram which is the official solution. Langue_doc impressive! ETA: 2fer.

Happy solving today!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QB this morning, no real tough words.  I think everything has been in the puzzle before.  Cathwen, I figured abettal was your missing word... it's a tough one to guess the ending on.

For LB yesterday, I also got butch-histogram, which I was happy with due to my use of the latter.  Congrats on your unique 2fers, Langue_doc, and don't worry! I got rimshots-scumbag.  I tried mightily for something with sugarcoat(s) because it seemed too unlikely to just be in there, but to no avail.

Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

ETA: 2fer!

ciao_yall

Not getting anywhere on the Bee. Stuck on "great" and have a major mental block.

cathwen

Just got to QB! 

I guess grading the exams and turning in grades gave me energy or something. 

Congratulations on your 2fer and QB, ab_grp!  And your 2fer, ciao_yall!  Sending positive vibes for getting unstuck on SB.

ab_grp

Yay! Congrats on the QB, cathwen! I will add my bee juju to your positive vibes.

ciao_yall

One more word, now at Amazing. Thanks to shunn I know what I'm missing. Maybe I'll head over to the wordplay blog to see if their hints shake something loose.

ETA: A new word, and one I thought was hyphenated, so Genius!

cathwen

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall! I got really stuck for a while before words started coming to me again.  I hope more and more start coming your way! It is a short puzzle, though, so you could be nearly done if already at genius.  Good luck!

Got another 2fer, but it's kind of related to my first one.

Langue_doc

Looking for a second two-fer.

Weird puzzling day today as I made it to genius and found a two-fer by 6 AM. Made it to QB.

Autocorrect, it's "two-fer", not " Twitter ", you nitwit!

ETA. Second two-fer!