News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

wigwag and wigwagging appeared in a puzzle not too long ago; I think I got both words then by playing around with words. I also remembered to look for wanna as I had missed wanna and gonna when I first started on the bee. I had assumed that gaff was one of the people in the movie industry and was listed in the credits.

Above genius, but no pangram yet.

hemophilic/chintzy

Sunday's crossword was a pain in the behind, so I took a peek at the solution. I like challenges, but not puzzles that are out to get you or show off the "cleverness" of the puzzle setter.

ab_grp, hope your husband is feeling better and you both have had some sleep.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks again for the good wishes! We went to bed early and slept pretty well, definitely much better than the previous night! He's still in a bunch of pain, but hopefully the antibiotics will continue to work at it and the painkillers will take some of the edge off.  I wish there were more to do about it.  Ciao_yall, I'm sorry that you and your husband had a bunch of dates to the ER as well.  Definitely glad for the things you mentioned, though at least parking is free at our hospital.  Health insurance is definitely a plus! When we went last time, which was very obviously an emergency, we found out after that though the hospital is in network the ER docs rotate, and the one who saw him was not in network.  What are you supposed to do, just disconnect him from all the equipment and call around to find another emergency doc to treat a heart attack in progress? It was a whole thing of paperwork for most of the year.  And fun for a heart attack survivor to have to deal with.  But, we are definitely fortunate.  And good on you for getting to the gym and being buff!

I was so happy to find wigwag and wigwagging after missing them before! Those and then wanna were my final words yesterday.  Just got to genius today so far (106), moving slowly, but I did see the pangram right away, luckily. 

My LB yesterday was chipotle-enzyme.  I had polemicize as one of my contenders, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it and didn't want to give up the ending.  Should have!

Sorry the crossword was a slog for you too yesterday, Langue_doc.  It does seem as though some puzzles might be more fun for the creator than the solvers, unfortunately.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram and 2fer.

A gaffer works in the movie industry, but it didn't take gaffing. Didn't even think of "to gaff" in its infinitive form.

ab_grp

Congrats on your bee progress and 2fer, ciao_yall!

After breakfast, I was able to get to one word away from QB (141).  I will try again later.  Still haven't looked at LB or done the hard sudoku yet.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I only got wigwag/wigwagging and wanna because I remembered them from previous puzzles.  I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten them otherwise.  I tried gaff, thinking it would be rejected (I knew gaffe and gaffer), but was suprised when it wasn't.

My LB solution was polemic-chintzy, the same as the "official" one.    I have a 2fer today, too.

Today's SB stands at Alpha (two words to go), but I'm out of steam.  I need to go away and come back. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Still stuck on the final bee word.  I now know what two letters it starts with, and I know how long it is, but I haven't found it yet! Good luck, cathwen!

No bee luck yet, but contenders continue to be amassed.

ciao_yall

Ditto. Went to the shunn site which inspired me to try a few strange ones. ONE LEFT!

ab_grp

I am wondering if we all have the same word left.  And if so, is it going to be something obvious or a totally new word, or a word that is known but hasn't been in the puzzle, or a word that has been in the puzzle that we have forgotten? I am so stumped.  Husband is down to the same word as me, and I swear we have each tried every possibility, but I guess that isn't true.  We'll probably try again for a bit and then give up.   Good luck!

Still no LB luck yet, but I will work on it on my phone on and off this evening.  I haven't had time to really give it a fair try yet today.

Langue_doc

I'm also missing a six letter word.

ab_grp

Got a weirdish 2fer and looked up our final bee word. Sort of makes sense as a word, and I swear I tried it, but I guess I didn't spell it right. Darn it.

Parasaurolophus

I'm afraid the bee has the better of me again.

But best wishes, ab_grp and husband! May the recovery be speedy.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

QB late at night. The missing word was abbacy, which I've seen in at least one puzzle.

3 points short of genius and a pangram.

Often, words that I know I typed don't show up. I usually double-check on the computer just to make sure that the words that I entered have been recorded.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Well, I missed two words in yesterday's SB:  yecch and clayeyClayey???  That's a word?  I now remember having seen yecch in previous puzzles. 

Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc! 

Genius and pangram today.  I think it's going to be a toughie. 

Yesterday's LB was births-stockman.  I don't have a 2fer yet for today.  I have a great word, but can't figure out what to do with the remaining letters!  Isn't that so often the case?

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

SB - missed abbacy. New word. I guessed at clayey and cabby after looking at shunn.

ab_grp, I see what you mean about the near-spoilers in the NYT Facebook group. Someone posted a Genius screenshot that included yech and yecch but I was already at Genius myself when I saw them, and I might have found them later. So I may drop out, but not sure yet.

LB - brinks-stomach which was the official solution. Anyone else?

Happy solving!

cathwen

QB and a 2fer! 

The 2fer isn't very "economical" in terms of letters used—two long words.  I'll try for a more efficient one if I have time later.  But it's a 2fer, so I'm happy.