News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

SB - QBwS2L (Queen Bee with Shunn, 2 letter hints.) Easy ones, just needed some aided recall.

LB - finally went to the online solver. That was a weird one, but okay.

Back to applying for jobs.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! That does look similar.  I'll have to check on what husband has.   As for the crosswords, there were a bunch of comments on the NYT this morning due to the theme and to whom it is related given that it is June.  I was about to be more explicit, but I guess that could give away the theme? I can't remember if it was explicitly mentioned in a clue or not.

Congrats, ciao_yall! I will be interested to see what the schomifficial solution is.  Mine is not that weird, though I wasn't having much luck finding worthy contenders until I stumbled upon my first word, which easily led to the second.  Good luck with applying for a job! I hope you can find something that's perfect for you.  I probably need to do that myself at some point but am procrastinating.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations to those who had a 2fer for LB yesterday!  I am looking forward to seeing what you all got. I was utterly defeated.  Happily, I have a 2fer today, though.

As for SB:  I consulted Shunn for the last two words.  I probably would have gotten yuan by playing around with combinations, but I entered attaboy just for fun and was surprised when it stuck. 

Today's SB stands at genius with pangram. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Morning!

41 words, 190 points today. Made it to QB yesterday; found the unfamiliar words including the tree word early on, but the pangram was one of the last words and the Chinese currency the last word.

As for LB I probably have an advantage over y'all as we see this fruit (whole, cut up, or kernels packed in containers) in our grocery stores. Yesterday I was dithering over going out the other entrance in our ethnic grocery store (Turkish owners, East European clientele, Spanish speaking employees stacking the shelves and arranging the produce) to the area outside the front of the store where the cut up fruit is arranged in tiers on ice to see if they had jackfruit kernels, but gave up as I would then have to backtrack all the way to the rear entrance with the parking lot. When I came home and looked at LB, the fruit popped up right away.

Here are some pictures:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/jackfruit-trees/growing-jackfruit-trees.htm

In this one, the youtube video on the right shows how to get at the fruit (I'll rely on the grocery store's expertise)
https://www.google.com/search?q=jackfruit+cut+up&rlz=1C2CHBF_enUS855US871&sxsrf=ALeKk03NnA0y9hmmpLuhbf2gMX4ltnC5Zw:1623789393256&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WnHsnCgEiK8XRM%252CmABFduAsusGGmM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSdeb7rCrhwxrY8mfe4HL3ZLykH-g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQ6-XvvprxAhWVsDEKHYIrAgEQ9QF6BAgjEAE#imgrc=WnHsnCgEiK8XRM

I did not appreciate the NYT getting my solution.

Happy solving, all!

ETA: Good luck with the job search, ciao_yall.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Famous last words - going to try for a QB streak, WATHICG.

LB jackfruit-tomb was the only reasonable solution the solver site popped up. Langue_doc it's okay. You aren't basic.

I don't recall finding "fruit" at an point, or maybe I did? But the F-T wasn't giving me any final letters that set anything up using the J on either side. Once I saw it I remembered.

Langue_doc

Speaking of jackfruits, I discovered the existence of a Chinese grocery store in the city with a parking lot. Went thither this morning, and lo and behold, there were jackfruits (1-2ft long) at around $1.45 or so a pound, and what looked like durians (haven't eaten any) @ $16 or 16 a pound. The parking lot was huge, for the city, and was free for the first hour. Came back with a 25lb sack of jasmine rice and nothing else.

Back to the puzzling.

Good luck with your QB streak, ciao_yall and for a two-fer.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Langue_doc, I also got the schmofficial solution and was sad that it was schmofficial, but it really did seem like the only contender that got anywhere, so I guess it makes sense.  I just kind of saw it in the grid and went ahead and typed it and voila! We saw a jackfruit in the grocery store a while back.  Huge sucker.  I'll have to check out your how-to info, because we just gawked and ran away, basically.  It's really great that you have such a variety of groceries available.  And yay on finding one with a parking lot, and a free one at that!

We got to Alpha and compared since husband has to head in.  And then had to look at Shunn.  I had three words left, he had two.  I probably should have just found mine, but we didn't have a lot of time left.  Yesterday my last word was yuan.  I am sure I've found that in previous iterations, but oh well.  I needed the extra help.  Cathwen, I had just said attaboy the night before, not something I usually say, so that one came to me!

Congrats on the 2fer, cathwen, and good luck to all on the QB hunt!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Progress...

Well into genius no pangram; but did find a 2fer. Strange but it worked.

ab_grp

Yeah! Congrats on the 2fer, ciao_yall!

ciao_yall

QB with learning a new word, thanks to the blog and Googling.

I wish they put the dates on the QB screens so I could track my streaks more officially.

cathwen

QB, with a nudge from Shunn. 

Congratulations on your QB, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, thanks for the info on jackfruit.  I had never heard of that before.  I had fruit yesterday, and of course jack, but never thought to put them together.

Ciao_yall, I wonder if we got the same odd combination for LB? 

Parasaurolophus

Easy genius today, but no pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QBs, ciao_yall and cathwen!

Sending good juju your way, Parasaurolophus, for the pangram and beyond!

I managed to get a 2fer! Mine is pretty lopsided.  I had a bunch of pretty good contenders before finally finding one that did the trick.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2021, 05:03:01 PM
Easy genius today, but no pangram yet.

The pangram is a weird one.