News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

It's too hot for 200+ points. My brain can't handle it today.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Well, I never made it to QB yesterday.  My two missing words were beltline and untune.  I was trying un- with everything, but apparently not -tune!   I did get linnet, the bird word, because one of my high school classmates was named Linnet. 

Today, I am at Beta with both pangrams.  I'll try a little longer before going to Shunn, but I do think that Shunn is in my future.

For LB yesterday, I found experimental-loyal.  I'm looking forward to seeing what others got!  I found a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - linnet after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Inbuilt was from filling in blanks from Shunn.

LB - trampoline-epoxy.

Will have some puzzle time this afternoon. Getting a haircut, then doing the downtown thing of museums and shopping while waiting for husband to finish his, then we are meeting for drinks.

City seems to be coming back from its Mad Max vibe during the pandemic.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Missed tubule; according to SB I also missed bent, bite, intent, and lent, all of which I distinctly remember entering early on. Oh, well!

Found the pangrams and made it to above 200 points. I don't have the energy to go chasing after the remaining words. Look for a bird word!

experiment/totality; found exemption, but couldn't come up with a word with the remaining letters.

Easy two-fer today, so will be resting on my laurels.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I am one word away from QB, but we had to look at Shunn for the final five or so.  Hope to figure out the last one eventually.  My final two yesterday were inutile and untune (which I thought I had tried).  Husband's was linnet, plus those that I missed, I think.  For the pangrams, I got bulletin first as well.

For LB, I had exemplarity-yon.  Didn't think the first was a word.  And I didn't have the schomifficial words in my long list of contenders!  Lots of solutions again here.  Congrats on your 2fers already, cathwen and Langue_doc!

Crossword was a little weird again today.  I don't feel like yesterday's or today's were the best for a Monday and Tuesday. 

Hope you have a fun outing, ciao_yall!

Time for sudokus and a look at LB with hopes of a victory there.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Finally got to QB.  An impure team QB, I guess, because husband guessed the final word we both needed.  I'm sure it would have taken me a while! There was another of similar length that I thought might be accepted but wasn't.  So, I was excited momentarily, and then my hopes were dashed against the rocks.  Anyway, that's over with!

And finished sudokus.  No luck on LB yet, so you solvers must have seen something I haven't so far.  I will keep my eyes peeled.

And Parasaurolophus, I really hope this heat wave you're experiencing breaks soon.  It sounds terrible and very unusual.  I wish we could send some of our unusual cool rain your way.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on June 29, 2021, 11:51:13 AM
Finally got to QB. 

And finished sudokus.  No luck on LB yet, so you solvers must have seen something I haven't so far.  I will keep my eyes peeled.

And Parasaurolophus, I really hope this heat wave you're experiencing breaks soon.  It sounds terrible and very unusual.  I wish we could send some of our unusual cool rain your way.

Congrats on QB. As for LB, my first word is rather long--a compound-- and the second one quite short, both familiar words.

Parasaurolophus, hang in there. Hope the weather breaks in a day or two.

Enjoy your outings and haircut, ciao_yall. Our guv and mayor think we're out of the woods--the latter actually compared the "back to normal" to a return to democracy. Our vaccination numbers are quite low, so I'm being cautious.

Hope you and cathwen got to QB. I'm happy with my two-fer so am not looking for more words on the bee.

ab_grp

Thanks for the hint about your solution, Langue_doc! Today has just been too interrupt-driven to feel very satisfying, but maybe I'll get some energy up to do more.

ETA: opened LB in phone, saw it right away! Thanks again!

ciao_yall

Out running errands and doing fun things so...

SB - 2 new words, thanks to the Wordplay blog.

LB - went to the solver site. I would like to think I would have found it on my own had I spent more time on it today.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Two pangrams and QB.

background/dial

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on QB already, Langue_doc! 

I am at Beta with both pangrams.  I don't know how much time I'll have to spend today on this, because we have Youngest Daughter and Boyfriend arriving tomorrow, whom we haven't seen since March 2019, so today will be a cleaning blitz!

For LB, I also had background-dial.  And this morning I found a 2fer on my first try!  That doesn't happen often.

As for yesterday's SB, I fell a good bit short of QB.  I missed ninepin and tenpin, also petit/petite, which is especially annoying because I am always on the lookout for French words that have been absorbed into English.  I could swear that I tried yippie and tintype, but I must have mistyped them (or I'm remembering wrong).  Oh well!

Anyway, happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - new words pipit (another bird) and tippet (but it won't take tallit?) Genius already ETA and 2 pangrams.

LB - background-dial and ETA 3fer 2fer already.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on QB, Langue_doc! Husband and I also each managed QBABM! Not too tough today.  tintype was our last word, which husband found, thankfully. 

And I got the same LB solution thanks to Langue_doc's hint!  Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

I hope your cleaning blitz goes well and that you enjoy the visit, cathwen!

Will start working on sudokus and LB soon but have a couple meetings and housemates coming and going to work around. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Woo-hoo!  I just made QB, albeit with a nudge from Shunn. I probably went to Shunn a little too soon, but I was pressed for time and wanted to speed up the process. 

As for the blitz, that is going well; I'm almost finished (to the extent that cleaning can ever be finished).

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp, and ABY to boot!  Good luck on the sudokus and LB!

ciao_yall

QB with Shunn as well! Learned a new word that I found by accident early on just by playing with letters.