News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

I made QB yesterday, although with help from Wordplay.  Darn that -ee suffix!  My last words were evictee and invitee.  Today I am at genius with two pangrams. 

For yesterday's LB, I had extradite-encourage.  It seems that we'll have a variety of solutions today! 

I have found a 2fer for today's LB. 

Now time to prod my husband into getting dressed so that we can go get breakfast!  I'm hungry!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Ditto on evictee and invitee.

For LB gourde-extraction. A gourde is the monetary unit for Haiti.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We didn't really get started yet today, as we woke up to a water outage and an early meeting suddenly appearing on husband's calendar.  So I shall report back later on the bee.  For yesterday, my final two were efficient, inefficient.  I think husband's was tiff, which was also my final 4-letter.  The -ees are tough!

I had another solution for LB: guidance-extort.  I had the first word and tried extorting but had b4ss issue and then realized I didn't need the suffix.  Glad I figured that out! Ugh.  Lots of different solutions yesterday! Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen, and enjoy your breakfast!

Langue_doc, thanks for the additional resource! And yes, I finally did kick medium's butt, thanks! Hard was much easier for some reason.  We'll see about today.  Hope your outings are good!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Just one more word to go for QB.  I am hoping to avoid comparing with husband or begging Shunn just because there's only the one diggity-dang word left, but I haven't had any luck yet finding this word.  Did get to GN4L and Alpha, at least. 

Also got a 2fer! Finally, the several gallons of coffee seem to be cutting through the fog, albeit slowly.  Did get sudokus done successfully.

ab_grp

We each got to a QBABM! Not a tough word list, but some that have tripped us up here before at times. 

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Got to above genius with a couple of pangrams before leaving for my early morning appointment (8:30) with the eye doctor.

sprinklings/somnific; didn't think the latter was a word, but who knew?

Haven't even looked at the crossword, so that's the priority today.

Eye doc thought that it was a case of dry eye--did some tests that scanned both eyes just to make sure that there were no other issues.

Nice outing yesterday, with birds and all, will update later.

Happy solving, all!

Parasaurolophus

Pretty unhappy SB wouldn't take 'parthood' yesterday. But maybe it's too tied to my discipline, and not used elsewhere?
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB - but new words parador, paradrop.

LB - Not much puzzle time which was my excuse for, after having plenty of 3fers forks-splicing-glom, flicks-spring-glom, I got help for folks-scrimping.

Dinner party today so should get in puzzle time while cake is baking and short ribs are stewing.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 21, 2021, 08:46:02 AM
Pretty unhappy SB wouldn't take 'parthood' yesterday. But maybe it's too tied to my discipline, and not used elsewhere?

Pretty unhappy SB wouldn't take my pangram today. A word often heard (sorry, this might have been a spoiler for someone).

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I think I have 4 words to go today but did get to Alpha and GN4L.  Definitely not zooming along, though.  Parasaurolophus, I tried rathood, dadhood yesterday.  Why not? Today seems like one of those in which it is unclear which prefix/suffix combos or solos will be allowed. 

Got the schmofficial solution yesterday.  Hopefully today will yield another success!

Langue_doc, I'm glad you got in to see your eye doctor and that it seems as though it might just be dry eye.  Do you have to use eye drops? I use the preservative-free ones since the Lasik, but usually just in the mornings.  I hope you get to reduced blurriness! And hope your bird outing was fun.  Crossword seemed pretty easy for a Saturday, so good luck.

Ciao_yall, sounds like a great dinner party in the making! I love short ribs!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good evening!

What a day.  Our vacation spot was on Cape Cod, which is supposed to get a direct hit from Henri.  The governor of Massachusetts urged all tourists to get off the Cape and go home—so we complied, leaving a day earlier than planned.  It took us eight hours to make a four/five hour trip, because traffic was just crawling along much of the time.  Then once we finally got home, I had to go to the grocery store for provisions (those for if/when the power goes out, those for if it doesn't).  We don't often lose power, so my fingers are crossed.  (Yes, home is also right in the path of the hurricane.)

Anyway—I had time to work on SB this morning, and was at amazing with both pangrams.  Then at lunch my husband saw a word that pushed me (us!) into genius.  I doubt that I'll work on it further—for today, genius is enough.  I made QB yesterday, but it was late, so I went straight to Wordplay for the final words.  Hoodoo was my last word.

As for LB, I had a variation on the "official" solution—folksongs-scrimp.  I have a 2fer for today as well.

Langue_doc, it's good that the doctor didn't find issues beyond dry eye, and I hope that gets resolved.  I'm looking forward to hearing about your bird outing.

This morning, around 5:30, while I was waiting for my husband to wake up, I was sitting on the veranda overlooking a beach—and a whole family of song sparrows flew in and sat right at my feet, chirping loudly.  The young ones looked as though they had just rolled out of bed, with feathers all fluffy and in need of a good smoothing.  When they saw that I had nothing to give them, they left.  A few minutes later, a great blue heron flew by.  So it was a lovely way to start the day!

Ciao_yall, your dinner party (short ribs and cake!) sounds wonderful!  Let us know how it went!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Cathwen, I'm sorry you had to cut your vacation short and endure a lot of traffic, but I'm glad if it keeps you safe and also hope that your Henri avoids your home area as best as possible.  Good that you have your provisions in case, though.  And definitely a lovely way to start your day! Were the song sparrows singing folksongs? ;-) Congrats on that different solution and on your 2fer today! And I figured hoodoo might trip folks up yesterday as it has in the past.  It was one of my final words, for sure.

We finally begged Shunn for help and each managed to get to an impure QB.  It was tough going at the end.  Still no 2fer, though some contenders have emerged over the day.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 21, 2021, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 21, 2021, 08:46:02 AM

Pretty unhappy SB wouldn't take my pangram today. A word often heard (sorry, this might have been a spoiler for someone).

Same.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Genius with both pangrams so far, but I am out of ideas.  It's a sloggy one!

LB was more successful; I have a 2fer.  Yesterday I had watchful-lobes.

Parasaurolophus and ciao-yall, it's so annoying when SB doesn't accept a word that you know darn well is a word.  Especially if that word is a pangram!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have 6 words left to QB but am struggling.  Did get to GN4L, both pangrams, not at Alpha.  Husband is at around the same word/point total as me.

Congrats on already getting a 2fer today cathwen and on getting one yesterday! I had a bunch of contenders that used up a lot of difficult letters but no luck.  Hopefully today will be easier!

Happy solving!