News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We finally compared and got our final words.  It's funny that I managed to recall ones I had missed before but miss ones I usually get (same for husband, but different words).  But we had team QB.    Not much luck on LB yet.

Congrats on a different solution, onthefringe!

Langue_doc, I would be interested to read more of the story!

ab_grp

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on November 03, 2021, 03:34:56 PM
Yay! Got a 2fer!

Wow - I got a 5fer at one point. GWP but nowhere on LB.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 03, 2021, 04:07:26 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on November 03, 2021, 03:34:56 PM
Yay! Got a 2fer!

Wow - I got a 5fer at one point. GWP but nowhere on LB.

I got a 4fer and consider it a win.

ETA 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

Close but no joy again. I'm just not giving myself enough yime while on holiday.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram, genius, and a measly 19 words.

frequency/yawning

Happy solving, all!

ETA: QB!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - outthought? Really?

LB - frequency-yawning.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Finally got to QBABM.  The pangram was pretty important.  I don't think you can get to GN4L without it, and I almost gave up but got there after finding it.  Poor husband only has three words left, but one is the pangram so he's not to genius yet.  I'm sure he'll find it.  Yesterday I couldn't believe I missed entente, which I usually get, but I got henge, which I usually miss.  And husband missed that one but usually gets it.  I think my final one was outgone.  Just doesn't come to mind, I guess.  No outgo, though? I think if outdone has been in there, then outdo has.  Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc!

Got the schmofficial solution with some luck.  I had frequency for a while and thought it was a good contender, but I thought there are obviously no words that end with f or start with y and have the remaining letters in them.  Obviously! Until husband, day after booster/flu shot started yawning.  Thanks, side effects!

I was a little leery of the crossword given what I had read about it, but it wasn't too bad. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon! 

LB:  I guess that's all of us who got the frequency-yawning yesterday.  And I have a 2fer today.

SB:  QBABM today!  It took me a while to get the pangram, though.

Yesterday, though, was a bit of a struggle.  Outgone was my last word, tried in desperation, not thinking it would be accepted.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius with 19 measly words two mornings in a row.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - with a little help. Last words were emcee, camo, cameo.

LB - Just a 2fer b4ss and 3fers. Yikes! That was a toughie. Were there other solutions? 2fer b4ss was ferment-touchline, and 3fers were all various combinations of  uniform-melt-tech.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday; I can't remember my last word, but I think it was camo.   QB-4 today.

LB:  I had cruciform-menthol, so just a little different from the "official" solution.

I went for my Moderna booster at the local CVS this morning and am anticipating a reaction.  My second shot completely flattened me!  I hope it's not as bad this time! 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

cathwen hope you feel better! I didn't have side effects for any of them. Had the Pfizer booster yesterday. Was tired yesterday afterwards, but I have been tired all week so maybe it's related?

GWP and a 2fer today. Woohoo.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We each got to QBABO today, though husband beat me to it.  Couple unfamiliarish words in there.  Emcee was my final one yesterday, but that one always gives me trouble for some reason.  I think acme was right before it despite being in the crossword yesterday!

No luck on LB.  That was a tough schmofficial solution! I was stuck in -ment land.  Congrats, cathwen! And congrats ciao_yall on your 2fer today!

Cathwen and ciao_yall, I hope your booster side effects aren't and continue not to be too bad.  Husband's Pfizer (plus flu shot) was Tuesday, and aside from being a little more tired than usual he had no troubles at all.  But he also didn't really have problems with the first two.  I know some folks who have had it worse, but mainly just knocked on their butts kind of tired.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

cathwen and ciao_yall, hope you're feeling better. My friends who had the booster shots reported symptoms similar to those following the second shot. It took me weeks to recover though. When I went to the doctor a week later, I was told that some people take longer to recover from the booster, which was the case with the physician I saw.

QB and two-fer.

If I have enough energy tomorrow morning, I'm going on an outing, and then to the dentist after that to take care of a chipped tooth. This is a new dentist that I found on Zocdoc, so I hope she takes care of the tooth instead of trying to sell me a customized mouthguard for the sleep apnea, as was the case with another dentist, or sell me other services when I'm still woozy from the anesthetic shots in my mouth. The chipped tooth keeps rubbing against my tongue so I need to take care of it soon.