News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on December 14, 2021, 02:47:45 PM
Sam reiterated on Twitter today that there will be a multiple pangram bee later this week (most ever!) and added that next week will have a puzzle with a Q that will need to be used frequently.

Oooh! Can't wait! Thanks for the heads-up!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 14, 2021, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on December 14, 2021, 02:47:45 PM
Sam reiterated on Twitter today that there will be a multiple pangram bee later this week (most ever!) and added that next week will have a puzzle with a Q that will need to be used frequently.

Oooh! Can't wait! Thanks for the heads-up!

Me either! And, of course! :-)

ciao_yall

QBwG Queen Bee with Grid. Haven't really found another 2fer but haven't really been looking.

ab_grp

Finally found a 2fer! Actually several, but only one unique word among them.  Multiple mates.  So not really more than one solution.

monarda

QBABM! My second ever, yay.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius; unlike yesterday when the pangram was the last word, today it was my first word today.

flouting/games; I like tongue, though.

Happy solving, all!

Appointments and a book discussion so I don't think I'll get any further with the puzzles today.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

QBABM yesterday!  Monarda, congratulations on yours—I don't get them very frequently, either.  My last word was clack.

Today I am at genius with pangram. 

Good 2fer, Langue_doc.  I had outings-selfsame.  Both solutions are different from the "official" one, so I wonder what other solutions others found?  I have a 2fer today, too.

Happy puzzling! 

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have 3 words left after struggling to get to GN4L.  We'll see.  Not at Alpha yet.  Yesterday I think my final word was calla.  Congrats on your QBABYs, monarda and cathwen!

For LB, I had flameouts-sing, but the mate could also be sign, singlet(s) and probably others.  Lots of different and non-schmoffical solutions! And congrats on another one today, cathwen!

If anyone is interested, Ross Trudeau (co-creator of today's crossword with his partner) shared this essay about his health struggles and the surgery he had yesterday: https://rosswordpuzzles.com/2021/12/13/the-necessity-of-filling-certain-boxes/  I thought it was interesting to read about his method of coming up with crossword themes and entries and his crossword construction output being related to the pain he suffers from his chronic illness.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Yesterday, QBwG. Today, GwP.

LB - fountains-smelting. 3fer this morning so far.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Parasaurolophus

Genius without pangram, although I may yet think of it.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Well, today we have the Bee of Many Pangrams that Sam promised us.  Apparently there are eight—so far I've found five.  And I am only at amazing, not even genius!  Argh!

Yesterday I got to QB by looking at WP hints.  It was a very full day, and late when I got back to SB, so I didn't have the inclination to spend much more time on it.  My last word was froufrou.

LB:  I had the "official" solution:  janky-yourself.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling, all! 

ciao_yall

QBWCH - last word was falloff.

LB - janky-yourself as well. I was stuck and then it popped into my head while making dinner.

Happy solving! Sounds like a busy one today.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I think I have 11 words left, but two are pangrams (if I have counted correctly...).  Finally got to GN4L, which should have been easier today, but it has been tougher than I thought to find words.  Froufrou was also my last word! Husband got to QBABH, but he had to give me a hint for that one, even though I'm the one that found it last time.  Urgh.  I think falloff might have been right behind it.

Same LB solution.  I thought about yourself on and off throughout the day but convinced myself there was no f.  Finally tried janky and saw it right there.  Oof.  Congrats on getting another one today, cathwen!

Did anyone else notice that at least on the iOS app (and I think for husband too on the Android app) there is now a "More" with a drop down that has the direct links to today's hints for the bee as well as the forum? That is great because it is a pain in the neck to get to since they had the date in the URL each time.  Although I just checked, and it looks like both the today's hints and community links go to the same place.  Hmm.

Cute crossword today!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Just took a break and got back to SB.  Seven pangrams, Alpha, seven words to go.  I may or may not have time to work on it much more.  Oof!

Ab_grp, I did notice the "More" menu.  Very convenient!