It's time to end the consensual hallucination of fall in-person classes

Started by polly_mer, July 02, 2020, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stockmann

Quote from: Caracal on September 29, 2021, 10:15:03 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 28, 2021, 07:30:17 AM
Quote from: downer on September 28, 2021, 06:31:42 AM
When you are going by public transport, wearing masks to campus and back, it makes for a lot of mask wearing. I find it gets tender behind my ears by the end of the day.

The cheap ones I buy in bulk are too tight for my fat head. I snip the string and tie in an extra piece. Relief for the ears.

I find the N95s more comfortable than the cloth or paper masks. Maybe they wick moisture better? They are certainly lighter than most cloth masks, so maybe thats why I don't get the ear thing as much. I think I'm in the minority on this though, in terms of comfort.

I find KN95 masks more comfortable than surgical-style facemasks, so you're not alone.

mleok

Quote from: mahagonny on October 02, 2021, 08:49:21 AM
Here's an opinion.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/09/30/silver-bullets-for-mask-mandates/

Except that it does nothing to justify its premise that masks make no medical sense. It does make medical sense, in terms of its ability to reduce the spread of disease, including the flu. Now, whether the lives saved is worth the impact it has on living, that's a different question, but for me, it's a relative mild price to pay given the proven impact that is has. In addition, N95/KN95/KF94 masks protect the wearer as well.

Ruralguy

Honestly, its a minor nuisance. Might be a bigger deal for people who have to be wearing them 12 hours or more per day under uncomfortable conditions.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mleok on October 02, 2021, 11:03:49 AM
Here's an opinion.

Except that it does nothing to justify its premise that masks make no medical sense. It does make medical sense, in terms of its ability to reduce the spread of disease, including the flu. Now, whether the lives saved is worth the impact it has on living, that's a different question, but for me, it's a relative mild price to pay given the proven impact that is has. In addition, N95/KN95/KF94 masks protect the wearer as well.

The article also failed to mention children under 12, who cannot yet choose to get vaccinated, and who therefore rely on the precautions of others.
It takes so little to be above average.

Stockmann

Here's an opinion.

It's not an "opinion," it's blatant misinformation. The effectiveness of facemasks is well-documented, and their use has made a big difference even in densely populated urban areas, like Tokyo or Hong Kong. The physics behind their efficacy is very well understood, and their efficacy was, even before the pandemic, well-documented for other respiratory viruses. The only mask mandates that don't work are the ones that are widely ignored (a significant problem in the West) and they are unnecessary where a large majority masks voluntarily (like Japan).

mahagonny

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 02, 2021, 11:15:47 AM
Honestly, its a minor nuisance. Might be a bigger deal for people who have to be wearing them 12 hours or more per day under uncomfortable conditions.

No kidding. Even six or eight hours a day. My longest one is eight, currently, assuming have I nothing that evening.

Ruralguy

I have a couple of longish days with continuous mask wearing and some others with more spotty mask wearing (I don't wear in office save for when I speak with other or use bathroom, etc.).

I've gotten use to it, but don't love it, especially when the weather was warmer.

But its really not that big of a deal. 

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 02, 2021, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: mleok on October 02, 2021, 11:03:49 AM
Here's an opinion.

The article also failed to mention children under 12, who cannot yet choose to get vaccinated, and who therefore rely on the precautions of others.

Sure. My workplace does not have children and everyone is fully vaccinated or they can't be there.

ETA: When I look out into the room I see a sea of masks. It makes it harder to memorize their names. This doesn't help you when you're older, because people might think you're getting senile.

And the class is nearly all women, which means I have to notice who's overweight, etc; don't like myself for that.

No on has it as tough as me...sigh.

mahagonny

I hope I remembered to mention that I'm wearing the mask. I believe so. I follow my orders to the letter, and I don't complain about them at the workplace. Mahagonny (a bunch of pixels who will one day soon cease to exist forever) complains.

I guess the wiser thing would've been to put this all on the venting thread.