What to include in truncated CV for fellowship application?

Started by rabbitandfox23, April 12, 2021, 08:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbitandfox23

I'm applying for an NEH fellowship and they ask for a 2 page resume.  How do you decide what to include or excise? I suspect that publications and awards are to be prioritized.  Perhaps seminars taught and presentations less important.  Or is this not the case?  Even if I include only education history, publications, and previous fellowships, I'm running close to two pages...
I'm curious to hear how other deal with this....

Hegemony

You've got it. Education and employment history, publications, awards. Stop there. They want to know about your scholarship, not about your teaching.

Hibush

Include things that give the impression of a person on a trajectory to be a successful and productive NEH Fellow. You are painting a picture, and the CV entries are your paint daubs.

hazelshade

The guidelines in the NOFO state:

• Current and past positions
  • Education: list degrees, dates awarded, and titles of theses or dissertations
  • Awards and honors: include dates. If you have received prior support from NEH, indicate the dates of these awards and the products that resulted from them
  • Publications: include full citations for publications and presentations
  • Other relevant professional activities and accomplishments: include your level of competence in any relevant foreign languages
It's fine to do "selected" publications and presentations if you can't fit everything in two pages (obviously, select items based on relevance to the current project and overall significance). Do not omit the diss titles and foreign langage competency (if relevant). Also do not assume that reviewers will read your CV at all; if you want them to know something (e.g. that you've published two articles based on the current project), mention it in the narrative.

Faith786

Quote from: rabbitandfox23 on April 12, 2021, 08:59:22 PM
I'm applying for an NEH fellowship and they ask for a 2 page resume.  How do you decide what to include or excise? I suspect that publications and awards are to be prioritized.  Perhaps seminars taught and presentations less important.  Or is this not the case?  Even if I include only education history, publications, and previous fellowships, I'm running close to two pages...

What is NEH, just out of curiosity?
I need this grant approved...

hazelshade

Quote from: Faith786 on April 14, 2021, 05:49:58 AM
Quote from: rabbitandfox23 on April 12, 2021, 08:59:22 PM

What is NEH, just out of curiosity?

National Endowment for the Humanities.