News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Academic Freedom and Cancel Culture

Started by spork, May 29, 2021, 07:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 06, 2021, 07:35:15 PM
I read a single article about the threat to the idea of the feminine if we accept trans-women as "women."

I do not know much about the philosophic method, but I was really unimpressed.  Had I not known the backstory I would have assumed Stock to be a reactionary right-wing bigot, kind of like the people who claim that if we allow gay marriage then soon we will be marrying horses and cars and whatnot.

I just cannot figure out why that would be a legitimate commentary.  There is no legitimate, quantifiable proof that the concept of trans-women harms women.

I don't even know why other people's orientations bothers anyone in the first place.

Nevertheless, her story epitomizes the sort of reactionary left-wing politics that worries me about the academy (I posted an article about her a while back which I think was overlooked because of another bruhaha)----and I'm a lefty for sure.

Stock built her own pyre, but she should have the right to build it.

Tangentially, anybody feel like shoplifting from a bakery next to the Oberlin campus?

Award upheld. Imagine being that dean mentioned in this story whose involvement was one of the reasons the college was found liable.

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local_news/gibson-s-bakery-prevails-in-libel-suit-against-oberlin-college/article_4b16adc0-b1b8-11ec-9665-2febc3643a66.amp.html

marshwiggle

Quote from: Mobius on April 01, 2022, 10:27:41 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 06, 2021, 07:35:15 PM

Tangentially, anybody feel like shoplifting from a bakery next to the Oberlin campus?

Award upheld. Imagine being that dean mentioned in this story whose involvement was one of the reasons the college was found liable.

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local_news/gibson-s-bakery-prevails-in-libel-suit-against-oberlin-college/article_4b16adc0-b1b8-11ec-9665-2febc3643a66.amp.html

So does the college accept reality, or do they double down and try to appeal to whatever the next level is?
It takes so little to be above average.