Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Administrative Calls for Empathy and Student Assessment

Started by Zeus Bird, August 05, 2021, 06:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

Quote from: Hegemony on August 18, 2021, 01:50:11 AM
Quote from: Hibush on August 16, 2021, 07:30:12 PM
Paring the class content down to only what can be done in the reading seems to reduce the leaning in the course substantially, and specifically the education that a university education offers over a mail-order/online program.  How do overcome that?

You don't have to give them an A if there are some parts of the material they didn't master well. But I'd guess that a dedicated student who has the materials in hand can learn enough to pass the course respectably. What is this course content that can't be written down, but can only be conveyed by word of mouth in person? If it's a dance class or something, maybe they can film themselves and submit it. But most subjects can be learned to a substantial degree without in-person access to a professor. We're not magicians, we're just guides. And if the student is eager to avoid exposing a class full of students to a dangerous disease, why not support them in this effort?

Clearly this depends on how the students are learning. Even in STEM courses, intellectually engaging with the material and the other students--all that active learning stuff--is necessary with students in my school.

I don't see this students options as A) Taking a pale imitation of the course they signed up for vs B) infect the class.  I see the choice as being the same as ever: If external conditions prevent you from taking the course, take it when those conditions have changed.

Hegemony

Or — engage less, and pass with a C or so. Right?