News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Anyone go to their high school reunions?

Started by Wahoo Redux, April 29, 2024, 06:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

I've got one coming up this summer.  Honestly, I'd forgotten about it except I saw something on social media.  From what I understand, the last couple were kind'a busts.  The first attempt was flooded with mailings and maps and lists of hotels (like we didn't all grow up in the same little town) and RSVPs and "Family Night" announcements and a list of names of "[Mascots] we are still missing."  I was only an hour away that summer, but I dutifully skipped. 

Don't get me wrong, these were ("are still," I assume) basically good people, but we weren't really all that into each other when we were all crammed into the same crummy high school in that boring little town.  Once we graduated, the majority of us decamped for college, the military, or other places and never really returned.  A few people, it seems, have kept in touch, but not the majority of us.

I've made contact with a few folks on social media, and we have exchanged a message or two over the years.

So, why would we all tramp back to our old stomping ground----which, ironically enough, has been torn down and replaced by a very modern building----just to see people we didn't care enough to keep in touch with in the first place?

Still, I find myself at that age when one becomes nostalgic for things one didn't really treasure at the time.  And I found myself surprisingly sad when I found out that a classmate I hadn't been particularly close to and hadn't talked to in 40 years unexpectedly died last year.  And I am a long way away from my home state and have been suffering through the pangs of homesickness for a while now. 

I'm just wondering if other people went to their high school reunions at any age and  what it was like for them.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

No.

I went to one of those British boarding schools you see in movies (as it happens, our dining hall was scouted for the Harry Potter movies, but Oxford won out; the school itself has been in a few movies, however). As a scholarship student, which... is not ideal in that environment. The pecking order is very much based on who your parents are and what kind of money they've got.

My parents are both doctors, and I only grew up with one of them, but even so, we were well off. But... you have no idea what that other world is like. The world of oil company owners, foreign nobility, media giants, big time politicians, the occasional mafioso, etc., all of whom send their kids abroad to be babysat 24/7 because they can't be bothered.

It's an absolutely shit environment. And I (still) loathe most of my classmates. I want nothing to do with that hellhole.
I know it's a genus.

spork

My high school graduating class was 83 people. Many of them are dead or in prison. No.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.