News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2021, 06:14:45 AM
Oh, golly, you're making miss my favorite little hotel in France that has hot eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, youghurt, muesli, outmeal, fresh jams and preserves, little personal crottins of locally-made chevre, and six kinds of tea besides cocoa and coffee. (Oh, and pain chocolat, fresh brioche and baguettes, and fresh-made butter...)

In other words, I agree.

Wave this post in front of them and tell them they have stiffer competition than they think.

The nerve!

M.
Oh goodness!  Making me want to go back to France.
Where was this hotel?  I remember the standard breakfast was coffee, bread & butter, and orange juice. 

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Student
You got a D on the course last semester, due to some special pleading and me giving you a chance to pass. Now you are taking the same course again, and heading for a similar grade. You are beginning to make me think you are a "D student."
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

hmaria1609

To patron: No, you're not going to kick back and prop up your feet while I do your copying job for you. You're going to learn do it for yourself from start to finish.

fishbrains

If you are going to view every little silly thing that happens to you in life as some form of "trauma," then you are going to end up like . . . well . . . you.

Your idiot "friends" on social media aren't helping you here either. There are people who help with this kind of debilitating interpretation of life. Please go to them, and let them help.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

I enjoy most of the things about Academia.

But I just got a "review request" for a "project on a paper" that is awful.

This person is repeating all the incorrect stuff I've written about (and against) since 1978.

I said so, and suggested the paper be dropped.

instead I got a note back saying that all the other reviews were positive (well, of course, everyone else believes this stuff...which is wrong, which is the problem...).

I asked to be dropped from the project and now I'm in email-circularity-torture.

They don't staff that email reply. Reply to this one.

I did.

If it doesn't stop, I'll have to opt out of all the other good stuff because it will just drive me nuts watching this person's syncophantic echo chamber praise them to the skies and get them published.

I'm going to try blocking the email next.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Who in my neighbourhood is smoking weed at 8:00 a.m.?????
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

Dear Dean

So you want to implement a Non-Attending policy in the middle of a summer session, but you don't want to provide critieria of what count as attending. I see. So this would count as a change in course policy in the middle of the course.

Guess how much notice I will take of your emails. Go on, guess.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Harlow2

Dear Admincritter,
Nowhere was there mention of the huge shift in long-standing policy, which we needed to know about before applying.  Your after-the-fact "reasoning" is going to cost you our confidence and willingness to extend ourselves at a time when you really need it.  It's a bit like giving someone hungry a snack to hide them over until dinner, and then later refusing to produce the dinner on account of having given the snack. 

fishbrains

No, this is NOT of the "utmost importance," nor does it require our "immediate attention." I'm not sure this matter would even justify the loss of saliva required to spit on it. Jeepers.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

RatGuy

ergative

Quote from: RatGuy on June 18, 2021, 06:08:48 AM
Don't bring your dog to the office.

I would like to vehemently disagree.

RatGuy

Quote from: ergative on June 18, 2021, 06:43:35 AM

People bring their dogs to the office all the time. Fine. I like some good doggo time. But one staff member in particular has a shihtzu who bites ankles and has an incontinence problem. The latter is why the dog isn't allowed to stay at home alone anymore.

apl68

Quote from: RatGuy on June 18, 2021, 07:34:50 AM
Quote from: ergative on June 18, 2021, 06:43:35 AM

People bring their dogs to the office all the time. Fine. I like some good doggo time. But one staff member in particular has a shihtzu who bites ankles and has an incontinence problem. The latter is why the dog isn't allowed to stay at home alone anymore.

Many years ago my parents had a three-legged shi-tzu who was not always pleasant to be around.  They did NOT try to take her to work.  Dogs don't like being home alone while the people are at work, but they can handle it if they must.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

San Joaquin

Never in a million years would it occur to me to worry that there would be a hold queue for the six new books on assessment that would necessitate additional copies.  I hope that turns out to be a valid issue!  Meanwhile, I chuckle.