News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

You are making it so unpleasant to do any work with your office that we are about to cancel ALL the international trips.  You know, the ONE THING you do at the U.

How do you think that is gonna go, Skippy?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

EdnaMode

Dear [three students out of fifty in today's two lab sections],

It's miraculous how you found a way to get to class, in the snow, up hill, both ways, when I responded to your emails with, "Yes, campus is open. Yes, we're still having the lab practical today. No, you can't take it later at a time of your choosing." And guess what? I can tell if you live on campus by looking at your local address in our student info system. And if I can make it to campus, and the students who live out of town can make it to campus, you can walk across campus and take your practical.

All the best,

Dr. Mode
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

apl68

To Whoever Sent That Mail We Got At Work Today,

Your envelope was marked "Timely Material, Open Immediately."  Yet it bore the name of a previous librarian who retired seventeen years ago. 

I concluded that it wasn't as urgent as you were making out, and consigned it to File 13.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

Dear Technology folks,
I know you are frustrated that instructors are dragging their feet on transitioning from [old LMS] to [new LMS].  Yes, you've been sending reminders.  Yes, you offer workshops/trainings/drop in hours/etc.  But your timing of WHEN to make this switch is dreadful.  We are in a pandemic!  Folks have had to make last minute (and I mean, less than 2 weeks notice) scrambles to get their classes online.  Twice!!
Maybe you could:
1) calm down
2) realize most folks do not care what LMS they use if all they post is a syllabus
3) give folks more time

And it's NOT my job to teach other instructors how to use [new LMS].  That's YOUR JOB.  I'll do more if you pay me to do more.  Or if I can list it as an official service to the college.  But I'm not volunteering.
Kisses!

fishbrains

Student: You are literally getting mad at me because you keep missing class. I can send you the material we covered, but I can't recreate the understanding of the material we arrived at in class. "Hybrid" does NOT mean optional attendance for class meetings.

In-law person: Being on "the disability" gives you too much free time to create unneeded family drama. Knock it off, or people will quit talking to you altogether.

A-hole parent: You just suck.

Come on, people. It's only Wednesday!
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

waterboy

QuoteI can send you the material we covered, but I can't recreate the understanding of the material we arrived at in class. "Hybrid" does NOT mean optional attendance for class meetings.

This.  1000x
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

dr_evil

To almost everyone right now: "F*** it all! I'm sick of it."

Yeah, that was horribly vague, but who doesn't want to say that at times?

FishProf

These forms are f'ing useless.  If you need each faculty member to tell you what they are teaching, what is the  scheduling software for?  If you can look it up and correct us, but not correct the form, why do you need us to fill out the form?  Just do it your damn self.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Does sick leave cover "I'm sick of this nonsense!"?
Asking for a friend . . . .

Harlow2

Friend, you are alienating us with your awful posts and texts about another friend. Whatever is going on please stop and get some help in sorting this out.

AmLitHist

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 23, 2022, 03:15:49 PM
It does here.  I'm taking Friday as an "illness and fatigue" (sick and tired of the BS) day. Only one more week til spring break, but I need a day off NOW, and so do my students.

sinenomine

To Colleague #1: Your over the top enthusiasm about a task that all the other faculty find rote and annoying makes you sound like a demented game show contestant; so no, I don't need you to share your very discipline-specific methods and waste time in a short meeting.

To Colleague #2: You've been working here for years. Reflect on all the mentoring and training you've received, figure out how to do our job, and quit running to me constantly to ask how to do it. It's what you get paid for.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

paultuttle

Quote from: AmLitHist on March 02, 2022, 09:30:18 AM
It does here.  I'm taking Friday as an "illness and fatigue" (sick and tired of the BS) day. Only one more week til spring break, but I need a day off NOW, and so do my students.

Agreed. It's also called a "mental health day." Just say "I'm out sick today" and don't explain any further. If someone pries, just say "I don't feel well," which is entirely truthful, but doesn't require you to go into all of the details (which aren't their business, anyway).

Just my $0.02.

science.expat

Quote from: paultuttle on March 03, 2022, 11:25:44 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on March 02, 2022, 09:30:18 AM

Agreed. It's also called a "mental health day." Just say "I'm out sick today" and don't explain any further. If someone pries, just say "I don't feel well," which is entirely truthful, but doesn't require you to go into all of the details (which aren't their business, anyway).

Just my $0.02.

Another name is 'wellness day'.

sinenomine

Unrelated ^

Do you have the slightest idea how annoying it was for me to spend a good part of my weekend doing work that you've known about for almost a year but didn't complete by the deadline??
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."